[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If you could go back in time...

matt770

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I blew it on this one, but I never saw Zappa live.

I saw Zappa in 1982. Really, really good.

Queen.

I saw Queen on the News for the World tour. I think I saw them on an off night. The show was kind of meh.

For me, it will always be The Beatles.

are you going back in time with the full knowledge that you have now or are you placing yourself in that time with the general knowledge of people then? in other words, do you have the knowledge of how everything goes down or are you experiencing it just as everyone else?

being a part of the mayhem that was the early beatles or elvis would be cool, but not so much cool if you've seen the movie a thousand times ...

are you going back in time with the full knowledge that you have now or are you placing yourself in that time with the general knowledge of people then? in other words, do you have the knowledge of how everything goes down or are you experiencing it just as everyone else?

being a part of the mayhem that was the early beatles or elvis would be cool, but not so much cool if you've seen the movie a thousand times ...

On Friday I was listening to a Hendrix box set on Grooveshark and there was a lot of cool live stuff on it, and that prompted me to start this thread. I was imagining myself in a crowd of slack-jawed kids watching this freak of nature who sounded like no one else around. Seeing him in concert with the knowledge of music I have now would add a level of appreciation to what I was seeing, but being one of those kids experiencing that for the first time would be something else entirely.

When he went to England, bands like the Beatles, Stones and the Who were regulars at his shows, and they talked about being completely mesmerized. Those would be one of the shows I'd like to check out, standing there next to Mick, Keith, John, Paul, Roger, Pete, etc and seeing how they reacted.

Damn, I love music.

Seeing him in concert with the knowledge of music I have now would add a level of appreciation to what I was seeing, but being one of those kids experiencing that for the first time would be something else entirely.

that's what i'm saying ... could almost be two threads.

not knowing what i know now, being a part of beatle mania or elvis in the early years would be the most mindblowing.

knowing what i know now, i'd probably look to see bands before they got big, which would be a trip. van halen at the whiskey (which was mentioned) or bands like zep, u2, or radiohead doing their first few club gigs would be amazing ... less amazing if i didn't know they were going to change the face of music. even if they sucked in those early shows, i would still be fascinated.

Hendrix would be spectacular.

Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison would have been a pretty unique concert experience...

Now the next question: Do you want to see them sober (and therefore remember everything much more clearly) or do you want to see them while plastered with substance(s) of choice?

that's what i'm saying ... could almost be two threads.

not knowing what i know now, being a part of beatle mania or elvis in the early years would be the most mindblowing.

knowing what i know now, i'd probably look to see bands before they got big, which would be a trip. van halen at the whiskey (which was mentioned) or bands like zep, u2, or radiohead doing their first few club gigs would be amazing ... less amazing if i didn't know they were going to change the face of music. even if they sucked in those early shows, i would still be fascinated.

I wouldn't mind being part of the scene in L.A. when Motley Crue or GnR were playing clubs in Hollywood and hosting those insane parties afterwards.

Oy, I think I regret saying this already....

...but from a cultural perspective, I would have liked to have seen Jackson's Thriller tour in its hayday.

Seeing Freddie Mercury and Queen rock Wembley would have also been pretty cool.

Hey it's cool man, it's the 21st century, you guys are fully accepted now. In some places you can even get married.

On Friday I was listening to a Hendrix box set on Grooveshark and there was a lot of cool live stuff on it, and that prompted me to start this thread. I was imagining myself in a crowd of slack-jawed kids watching this freak of nature who sounded like no one else around. Seeing him in concert with the knowledge of music I have now would add a level of appreciation to what I was seeing, but being one of those kids experiencing that for the first time would be something else entirely.

When he went to England, bands like the Beatles, Stones and the Who were regulars at his shows, and they talked about being completely mesmerized. Those would be one of the shows I'd like to check out, standing there next to Mick, Keith, John, Paul, Roger, Pete, etc and seeing how they reacted.

Damn, I love music.

It was the late Chas Chandler of the Animals who took Hendrix to England. Legend has it that when Clapton (at that time the guitar king with Cream) first saw Hendrix, he was literally shocked - Cream had granted Hendrix a jam session.

How good must Hendrix have been that Clapton, no slouch himself, was so blown away?

It was the late Chas Chandler of the Animals who took Hendrix to England. Legend has it that when Clapton (at that time the guitar king with Cream) first saw Hendrix, he was literally shocked - Cream had granted Hendrix a jam session.

How good must Hendrix have been that Clapton, no slouch himself, was so blown away?

To me that's why Hendrix is the one to see...a rare talent, possibly the best guitar player ever, and he practically invented the brand of guitar rock that transpired in the 4 decades since he came and went. When you read about how his peers were in awe of him, that's really all you need to know.