[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Xbox 360 for $99 at Wal Mart Saturday

Atlanta Cracker

My son, who has been campaigning for an Xbox forever now, told me about these. He's been told that if you play live a lot, they're not so good as in they crash.

Anyone know anything about this?

They have upgraded the hardware so hopefully this won't be an issue going forward but they do provide a 3 year guarantee against certain failures and 1yr on everything.

The only issue with the Arcade version mentioned here is no hard drive. He'll want to use part of the $100 to get one for downloading content.

My son, who has been campaigning for an Xbox forever now, told me about these. He's been told that if you play live a lot, they're not so good as in they crash.

The one I had from when they first came out crashed. I got it fixed, sold it, and bought a new one two years ago. I'm on Live all the time either playing or watching Netflix. No problems.

The new models have this fixed (manufactured Feb 2009 or later). You can see the manuf date on the xbox where the upc code is.

essentially, with the $100 gift card you get with the 360 you will want to get the 60Gb hard drive to add-on to the console...

$199 for a 360 with 60GB isn't bad....

and as far as the red ring goes, there isn't any rhyme or reason to it....it can happen out the box or in a year and a half from now....but Microsoft has taken the 54% failure rate and brought it down to around 30%....which is quite an accomplishment over the past 9 months or so...

I might have picked up a 360 back in 07 if it wasn't for the red ring...so I opted to get a PS3....but the 360 is a bit more reliable right now and the $199 version is quite a bit more cost effective....especially if you take advantage of the Wal mart deal...

Wow, a 30% failure rate is as good as it gets? :wacko:

that is not a new percentage as of the date they made the console stronger....it's combined with the 54% failure rate over 3 years and the current one which is probably about 10%, but that's just a guesstimate...

that is not a new percentage as of the date they made the console stronger....it's combined with the 54% failure rate over 3 years and the current one which is probably about 10%, but that's just a guesstimate...

Yeah my current one - the 3rd I've had due to RROD - lasted 2 years and now the disk reader isn't working. Sooo, no more warranty fixes - time for a new box. For $99 I'll replace it every 2 years if needed.

Yeah my current one - the 3rd I've had due to RROD - lasted 2 years and now the disk reader isn't working. Sooo, no more warranty fixes - time for a new box. For $99 I'll replace it every 2 years if needed.

but you still have to spend the $199....the $99 gift card is to buy something with it..

but you still have to spend the $199....the $99 gift card is to buy something with it..

True, but I would have likely bought stuff to go with it anyway. Already have the disk drive so can use it on COD or something I would have spent money on anyway. Assuming I have the patience for a crowd at WalMart on Saturday.

So now that I have this thing coming, how do I get a hard drive, can we install it ourselves? How does this work?

I need to get him points or something too?

The hard drive clicks onto the top of the unit. Pretty painless. You buy points to spend if you are going to be on Live for downloading games or game add-ons. PS3 and Wii have similar systems for buying things.

Nifty! I'm looking forward to being able to stream Netflix movies through it.

Netflix over the 360 is cool. I question whether the system can handle a few hours of gaming, then a night of movies. Microsoft said, hey we can make the 360 do this and this and this, but they rushed and didn't make a system that could really handle it all.