[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The baddest of the bad-asses

BeeR

royce gracie in his prime

Royce is one of my idols...but he wasn't even close to being the best of the Gracie bunch. He was just the right man for the job.

As far as movie star martial artists go...Chuck Norris is the best. Because he has continued to train in evolved disciplines. He's a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Carlos Machado. The guy is legit.

Seagal and Van Damme are frauds IMO. Neither could compete at today's level...even in their prime. And Bruce Lee was an innovator but there's a reason very few professional fighters train in Jeet Kune Do. But the guy was a phenomenal athlete. He would be a world champion in any martial art.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, because that's real life. :wacko: PS did anything actually even happen? After about 10-20 secs of watching him dance around like Richard Simmons I gave up.

Van Damme is the lamest of the big-screen martial arts guys. IMO Lee, Norris, and/or Segal could easily kick the crap out of him in their prime.

Yes, because that's real life. :wacko: PS did anything actually even happen? After about 10-20 secs of watching him dance around like Richard Simmons I gave up.

Van Damme is the lamest of the big-screen martial arts guys. IMO Lee, Norris, and/or Segal could easily kick the crap out of him in their prime.

i was talkin about his dancing :D

I give up: UFC?

If you haven't Googled it yet. Ultimate Fighting Championship

Anderson Silva has no one to fight (5 title defenses) and is taking out contenders in the next higher weight class.

GSP is dominating as well in his weight class and many want to see if he can bulk up to fight Silva. Probably doesn't really have the build to move up a class effectively.

Also look at Pride Fighting Championships and Strikeforce

Fedor just started fighting in Strikeforce and previously fought in Pride FC before the UFC owners bought it out.

There are some other organizations, but these are good starter fodder for you to read up on.

Edited by Riffraff

If you haven't Googled it yet. Ultimate Fighting Championship

Anderson Silva has no one to fight (5 title defenses) and is taking out contenders in the next higher weight class.

GSP is dominating as well in his weight class and many want to see if he can bulk up to fight Silva. Probably doesn't really have the build to move up a class effectively.

Also look at Pride Fighting Championships and Strikeforce

Fedor just started fighting in Strikeforce and previously fought in Pride FC before the UFC owners bought it out.

There are some other organizations, but these are good starter fodder for you to read up on.

Silva my ass

In a ring, where there are rules of engagement and limitations to your movement, the UFC type guys my have a chance, but in a real street fight I think Bruce would beat the crap out of anyone.

Yeah I was talking no rules, although I was not including weapons, just a slugfest (or kickfest or whatever). I lean to Lee too, but his size still makes me wonder if a really good martial arts guy who's a lot bigger and/or can take a hit more could take him (like a Tex Cobb type for ex). I do think very few if any of these street brawler guys would stand up. One good roundhouse kick to the head and boom boom out go the lights. :wacko:

Edited by BeeR

I don't buy the martial arts guys over the truly badass fighting guys for a minute. When I was much younger the claimed king of the hill around my parts was a martial arts guru in his mid 20's. He was pretty big and for sure a strong guy but the golden gloves champ from the same neighborhood gave him a total beat down.

I still lean toward a Mike Tyson in his prime.

I don't buy the martial arts guys over the truly badass fighting guys for a minute. When I was much younger the claimed king of the hill around my parts was a martial arts guru in his mid 20's. He was pretty big and for sure a strong guy but the golden gloves champ from the same neighborhood gave him a total beat down.

You're basing this belief on some neighborhood schmoes?

I hold just the opposite opinion - no way a pure boxer stands toe to toe with a skilled fighter, MMA or street brawler. Even the young Tyson would have his hands full with someone that can kick and grapple.

I hold just the opposite opinion - no way a pure boxer stands toe to toe with a skilled fighter, MMA or street brawler. Even the young Tyson would have his hands full with someone that can kick and grapple.

You may be right but remember Mike Tyson was lightning fast in his prime and had absolutely devestating power. You have a short window to submit him and if he caught you clean it would be a shot like your everyday MMA guy has never seen before IMO. Also depending on the rules if he didnt have boxing gloves on it would do even more damage

Edited by whomper

You may be right but remember Mike Tyson was lightning fast in his prime and had absolutely devestating power. You have a short window to submit him and if he caught you clean it would be a shot like your everyday MMA guy has never seen before IMO. Also depending on the rules if he didnt have boxing gloves on it would do even more damage

No question he was scary good - just not sure he has(d) the brain power to defend more than hands and footwork. :wacko: I also think one of the reasons Tyson looked so good early on is that he had marginal competition in his prime.

You may be right but remember Mike Tyson was lightning fast in his prime and had absolutely devestating power.

Which means nothing if he doesn't connect, and I suspect a top martial arts guy would see to that. I agree Tyson in his prime was one of the best boxers ever and too bad he wasn't together in his head or he would have proven that. I swear the guy is made of stone. But in a pure man-on-man brawl? Nah

Hard to tell how much is Hollywood, but I always liked Steven Seagal. The fact that he's a New Orleans cop for fun suggests he might be a little legit.

After watching his show last night, I'm thinking more cheesiest of the Dill Josh Gordon bags instead of baddest of the bad-asses.

Which means nothing if he doesn't connect, and I suspect a top martial arts guy would see to that. I agree Tyson in his prime was one of the best boxers ever and too bad he wasn't together in his head or he would have proven that. I swear the guy is made of stone. But in a pure man-on-man brawl? Nah

He didnt seem to have much trouble connecting for a good part of his career until he lost focus and got mixed up with Don King and slipped into his old ways of being a thug. The premise of the thread was in their prime. A martial arts guy has more weapons at their disposal but you cant dismiss that power Tyson had. That is his dangerouse weapon. Some of you make him sound like he was the winner of a tough man contest. The guy was an elite boxer and dominant heavyweight champion . At 18 he wwas knocking grown men out with regularity.

After watching his show last night, I'm thinking more cheesiest of the Dill Josh Gordon bags instead of baddest of the bad-asses.

I think with some of the hollywood guys we are mentioning their cheesey bad acting and movie roles are taking away from the fact that they deserve at least a mention in our conversation.

According to Wiki Seagal was a 7 Dan Black belt in Aikido before becoming an actor and at the time he was the only foreigner in Japan that actually taught and operated his own dojo. Baddest of the bad ? Probably not but he wasnt a product of hollywood. The guy has skills