[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

great interview on health care

Azazello1313

Can someone help me fix my Directv TVGuide? I was looking for the Cspan airing where this bill would be debated. Isn't that what Obama promised?

Didn't Obama promise transaparency in goverment?

Didn't Obama promise Hope and Change?

The dude that called him out as a liar was 100% correct.

Politicians suck!

You're welcome.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reid Bill Says Future Congresses Cannot Repeal Parts of Reid Bill

Senator Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) pointed out some rather astounding language in the Senate health care bill during floor remarks tonight. First, he noted that there are a number of changes to Senate rules in the bill--and it's supposed to take a 2/3 vote to change the rules. And then he pointed out that the Reid bill declares on page 1020 that the Independent Medicare Advisory Board cannot be repealed by future Congresses:

:wacko:

This is today. Where were the behind the door dealings that took place the last couple of days.

Show me a live feed where people had the chance to debate the deal Nebraska got?

The votes have already been bought before today so nice try.

Win an election and you can see all behind the door dealings. :wacko:

Hey thanks.

Just heard on this webcast that the CBO has shown that this bill is NOT deficit neutral. Something like 170 billion increase.

This is a farce.

I think you just witnessed a GOP senator either (A) being incompetent, (B) lying, or © both.

Edited by wiegie

Have to agree here!

So you lefties are OK with how this all went down?

You think it is OK that 49 states will be helping to pay for medicade shortfalls in Nebraska? Why is Nebraska different than North Dakota or Wyoming?

Why do the Medicare advantage mebers in Florida get grandfathered but no other states do?

I admit I am hearing most of the biatching from Conservative talk radio - not Rush - can't stand Rush. Either way you slice it why do some states get things that other states don't in a national health care bill?

Democrat or Republican this is just wrong.

No we havent. Lay off the Charlie Sykes big fella . . . :wacko:

Who is Charlie Sykes?

Who's quote is this?

"We’re going to do all these negotiations on C-SPAN"

Did this happen? Know - they back doored this thing in.

If this is the change he is talking about we are in for a ride.

Who is Charlie Sykes?

Who's quote is this?

"We're going to do all these negotiations on C-SPAN"

Did this happen? Know - they back doored this thing in.

If this is the change he is talking about we are in for a ride.

Charlie Sykes is a conservative talk show host in Milwaukee on WTMJ620. He also hosts a local 1/2 hour tv show on Sunday Morning at 9 or 10am.

Dr. Henry Aaron, The Brookings Institution

Dr. Stuart Altman, Brandeis University

Dr. Kenneth Arrow, Stanford University, Nobel Laureate in Economics

Dr. Gary Burtless, The Brookings Institution

Dr. David Cutler, Harvard University

Dr. Patricia Danzon, University of Pennsylvania

Dr. Angus Deaton, Princeton University

Dr. Brad DeLong, University of California, Berkeley

Dr. Peter Diamond, Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Dr. Victor Fuchs, Stanford University

Dr. Alan M. Garber, Stanford University

Dr. Dana Goldman, University of Southern California

Dr. Jonathan Gruber, Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Dr. Daniel McFadden, University of California, Berkeley, Nobel Laureate in Economics

Dr. David Meltzer, University of Chicago

Dr. Joseph Newhouse, Harvard University

Dr. Uwe Reinhardt, Princeton University

Dr. Alice Rivlin, The Brookings Institution

Dr. Meredith Rosenthal, Harvard University

Dr. Isabel Sawhill, The Brookings Institution

Dr. William Sharpe, Stanford University, Nobel Laureate in Economics

Dr. John Shoven, Stanford University

Dr. Robert M. Solow, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Nobel Laureate in Economics

Dr. Laura D’Andrea Tyson, University of California, Berkeley

what are the top 20 democrat economists in the country not named paul krugman, alex?

what are the top 20 democrat economists in the country not named paul krugman, alex?

If it makes you feel better, Krugman indicated that the reason he didn't sign it is because the NY Times precludes him from signing such petitions.

(Edit to add: And if guys like Arrow, Solow and Diamond are Democrats, then Democrats are, on average, a lot smarter than I had thought they were.)

Edited by wiegie

(Edit to add: And if guys like Arrow, Solow and Diamond are Democrats, then Democrats are, on average, a lot smarter than I had thought they were.)

what kind of weirdly disingenuous sentence is that? obviously most of the guys you think are smartest are democrats. or are you still pretending to be an "independent"? I think solow served in the kennedy administration, I just saw him interviewed as a definite keynsian in a really good DVD series called "the commanding heights" (you should check this out if you haven't, based on the book by stanislaw and yergin)

what kind of weirdly disingenuous sentence is that? obviously most of the guys you think are smartest are democrats. or are you still pretending to be an "independent"? I think solow served in the kennedy administration, I just saw him interviewed as a definite keynsian in a really good DVD series called "the commanding heights" (you should check this out if you haven't, based on the book by stanislaw and yergin)

My point is that the guys I listed are REALLY REALLY smart and are not partisan hacks. If they are arguing in favor of something, then it would be worth someone's while to strongly consider validity of their opinions before dismissing them.

As for Commanding Heights--it is required material in my Comparative Economic Systems course.

For those who are interested, you can watch the whole series here: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/commandingheights/

Edited by wiegie

I think you just witnessed a GOP senator either (A) being incompetent, (:wacko: lying, or © both.

No, The CBO issued a statement this morning that you cannot count Medicare cuts as both financing the new health care entitlement to the uninsured AND extend the solvency of Medicare.

CBO 12/23/09

Quote:

"The key point is that the savings to the HI trust fund under the PPACA would be received by the government only once, so they cannot be set aside to pay for future Medicare spending and, at the same time, pay for current spending on other parts of the legislation or on other programs."

It is one or the other, not both. Counting it as both, as they did, will increase the deficit.

Why is that so hard for you to understand? Why do you instantly implicate GOP Senators as being disingenuous? What kind of economics are you teaching?

My point is that the guys I listed are REALLY REALLY smart and are not partisan hacks. If they are arguing in favor of something, then it would be worth someone's while to strongly consider validity of their opinions before dismissing them.

As for Commanding Heights--it is required material in my Comparative Economic Systems course.

For those who are interested, you can watch the whole series here: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/commandingheights/

are you trying to say that really really smart people dont choose sides, ever? wow.

Edited by dmarc117

So is there a reason you choose to ignore the actual question? Typical of you. Now after you personally attack me, would you addressthe question please? Thanks in advance.

Nobody will discuss it. It is starting now to show this plan is no way going to be deficit neutral.

If a bill is so good why do you have to buy the votes?

Nobody will discuss it. It is starting now to show this plan is no way going to be deficit neutral.

If a bill is so good why do you have to buy the votes?

kinda like climategate. nobody answers questions cause they have no answers. its sad. and our country is doomed.