[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Most influential person of the decade.

evil_gop_liars

Would OLB had as much influence if Bush had behaved differently? No.

Let's not also forget Katrina, the ill-advised tax cuts which blew up the government budget, the non-reaction to the 2007-2008 financial crisis until it was almost too late to do anything about it, etc. etc.

Hmmmm. All true, Buuuut...

- does the budget blow up as badly without idiot Bush trying to wage a war AND cut taxes at the same time?

- IMO the financial crisis doesn't occur without the panicked reaction to the post-9/11 market crash. The economy might have actually achieved a soft landing without the 9/11 attacks crashing the market - which at the very least, precipitated the Enron, Worldcom, etc tankings.* That at least gave the gov't a good excuse to loosen up credit restrictions to keep the economy at a falsely elevated level.**

- Katrina would have happened anyway, true; but it may have been "wow, that was a big misstep by the non-descript guy in office" without the other issues, as opposed to "Oh hey, ANOTHER disaster on W's watch. Nice."

* - these would've happened anyhow, but NOT in the midst of a market over-correction

** - again, likely to have happened anyway with the "pro-business" (THAT is an understatement) admin that was in place

Hmmmm. All true, Buuuut...

- does the budget blow up as badly without idiot Bush trying to wage a war AND cut taxes at the same time?

- IMO the financial crisis doesn't occur without the panicked reaction to the post-9/11 market crash. The economy might have actually achieved a soft landing without the 9/11 attacks crashing the market - which at the very least, precipitated the Enron, Worldcom, etc tankings.* That at least gave the gov't a good excuse to loosen up credit restrictions to keep the economy at a falsely elevated level.**

- Katrina would have happened anyway, true; but it may have been "wow, that was a big misstep by the non-descript guy in office" without the other issues, as opposed to "Oh hey, ANOTHER disaster on W's watch. Nice."

* - these would've happened anyhow, but NOT in the midst of a market over-correction

** - again, likely to have happened anyway with the "pro-business" (THAT is an understatement) admin that was in place

let me employ an analogy:

Suppose an earthquake that is 3.0 on the Richter scale causes a sky-scraper to become unstable and then collapses killing everyone who stayed inside the building. Which was more influential... the earthquake itself, or the engineers who designed the building and subsequently told people it was safe to remain inside of it following the earthquake?

I don't know what's funnier: the playoff bracket format or Obama even in it, letting alone going that far. The guy has been news for all of about maybe 2 years, tops. He'd be lucky to get an NIT invite. And where the hell are Brady and Manning? :wacko:

What's funny is the Harry Potter author and Paris Hilton are in it and you immediately start clamoring about Obama.

What's funny is the Harry Potter author and Paris Hilton are in it and you immediately start clamoring about Obama.

That's because Harry Potter and Paris Hilton have actually done more good for this country than Obama has. And Harry Potter isn't even from this country.

Edited by tosberg34

let me employ an analogy:

Suppose an earthquake that is 3.0 on the Richter scale causes a sky-scraper to become unstable and then collapses killing everyone who stayed inside the building. Which was more influential... the earthquake itself, or the engineers who designed the building and subsequently told people it was safe to remain inside of it following the earthquake?

I won't translate it into your analogy, but without U/OBL Bush might not have had the mojo to win a second term (he barely held on, and if we weren't at war I doubt he would have won) in which most of what you lay at his feet: Katrina, financial meltdown was achieved.

It's rather symbiotic/parasitic (better?) but it's UBL since he drove those actions, including the election results.

43 and bin laden? :wacko:

To the extent genital warts would be influential on one's sex life, I can agree with the selections as most influential.

I'm not so sure about that. Bush 43 was THE whipping dog for the Democratic Party for his entire 8 year presidency 24/7, WITHOUT FAIL. In fact, you STILL here the "libruls" railing on Bush, even though it's been over a year since the election. Everything Bush did shaped what the left said and did on a daily basis. I would say that he was extremely influential.

I'm not so sure about that. Bush 43 was THE whipping dog for the Democratic Party for his entire 8 year presidency 24/7, WITHOUT FAIL. In fact, you STILL here the "libruls" railing on Bush, even though it's been over a year since the election. Everything Bush did shaped what the left said and did on a daily basis. I would say that he was extremely influential.

There's some validity in that but without OBL there's no Iraq invasion and no Afghanistan invasion either. 9/11 defined the decade, pretty much, and OBL was behind that.

There's some validity in that but without OBL there's no Iraq invasion and no Afghanistan invasion either. 9/11 defined the decade, pretty much, and OBL was behind that.

Without Bush, there is no Iraq invasion. We go into Afghanistan with the fiull support of the rest of the world and don't lose it. We don't open Gitmo. We don't torture detainees. etc.