[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Artie Lange Comedian

Brentastic

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope I am wrong because I love the Stern show and Artie but sadly I see a Belushi/Farley like ending for Artie one of these days. He just cant seem to handle his success and shake the demons. :wacko:

I don't know - I have a certain disdain for people who try to end it willfully. And seeing as how he's made a very nice living bagging on people when they're down, he's left himself all types of bullseyes for him on this one.

Unless he's an undiagnosed schizophrenic he really has no good reason to do what he did.

I guess I'm a monster truck aficionado too. I think suicide is cowardly as well.

Doesn't take much to buy a bus ticket out of town to somewhere else and start a new life. They're giving it all up by trying to end their life. May as well take a second chance elsewhere. This particular guy could have upgraded to a plane ticket to a new life.

Caveat: it's also cowardly to not take care of any responsibilities that you may be leaving behind (such as children).

I don't know - I have a certain disdain for people who try to end it willfully. And seeing as how he's made a very nice living bagging on people when they're down, he's left himself all types of bullseyes for him on this one.

Unless he's an undiagnosed schizophrenic he really has no good reason to do what he did.

+1

yep. suicide is the coward's way out. except if there is a terminal illness involved.

bla bla bla, ya life sucks sometimes but man up and deal with the problems and your responsibilities.

mental illness/depression is a vastly complex and misunderstood disease I liken to cancer and just as deadly. when you're at your lowest, at the depths of dispair, your mind plays tricks on you, telling you you are not worth it. You simply are not able to be rational, the disease prevents this....factor in drug & alcohol abuse and this is a recipe for disaster. I should know all too well, my sister/best friend died of suicide in 2006, her final note detailed an emotional wreck of a person, and the depression was so deep, she felt hopeless. I don't consider her a coward at all, but my heart aches for the sorrow she felt in her life, and that I couldn't help her. We talked every day, about intimate things, I had truly no idea that she had taken a gun several wks earlier from my parents, only to use it 2 wks later....see, this disease is a silent killer, the person suffers in private, but tries to show the world all is fine. I hope Artie can find some help to get him out of this bind, it will be a lifelong journey, but God gave him a 2nd chance for a reason. God bless you all and I hope none of you have to endure the loss of a loved one like I did.

mental illness/depression is a vastly complex and misunderstood disease I liken to cancer and just as deadly. when you're at your lowest, at the depths of dispair, your mind plays tricks on you, telling you you are not worth it. You simply are not able to be rational, the disease prevents this....factor in drug & alcohol abuse and this is a recipe for disaster. I should know all too well, my sister/best friend died of suicide in 2006, her final note detailed an emotional wreck of a person, and the depression was so deep, she felt hopeless. I don't consider her a coward at all, but my heart aches for the sorrow she felt in her life, and that I couldn't help her. We talked every day, about intimate things, I had truly no idea that she had taken a gun several wks earlier from my parents, only to use it 2 wks later....see, this disease is a silent killer, the person suffers in private, but tries to show the world all is fine. I hope Artie can find some help to get him out of this bind, it will be a lifelong journey, but God gave him a 2nd chance for a reason. God bless you all and I hope none of you have to endure the loss of a loved one like I did.

I am extremely sorry for your loss and I think you are 100% correct with everything that you wrote.

Yeah, i think some of the other posters are completely clueless on this topic. As you said mental illness is very complex and obviously misunderstood. There's no way to know what's going on in another person's head and to make a judgment that it's cowardly is pretty ignorant.

Very well stated Scoob. Sorry bout your loss.

Yeah, i think some of the other posters are completely clueless on this topic. As you said mental illness is very complex and obviously misunderstood. There's no way to know what's going on in another person's head and to make a judgment that it's cowardly is pretty ignorant.

youre right, i guess i dont understand it or dont believe in it.

cowardice = lack of courage or resolution.

its also very selfish. the pain and questions you leave those behind is bs.

granted i have a very different experience to the cowardly act, so my beliefs will be different.

Edited by dmarc117

I guess I can throw out another caveat for my perspective:

I am around mentally unstable people every day at work. My job entails getting them help. Got degrees, do studies, and all that jazz.

However, the vast majority of them need help making change in their lives. Most people want the world to change around them instead of changing to meet the world. Sure there are plenty that can't function well in society and need more help than others, but we're not talking about that population since the topic is about a guy that has done pretty well in achieving societal success.

When I wrote that they can get up and move, that means they can make a concerted effort to take control of their own lives and make a change. They can take themselves out of the situation (without taking their lives). The vast majority of people will never do this and keep doing what they choose to do. Sane or otherwise...

I guess I can throw out another caveat for my perspective:

I am around mentally unstable people every day at work. My job entails getting them help. Got degrees, do studies, and all that jazz.

However, the vast majority of them need help making change in their lives. Most people want the world to change around them instead of changing to meet the world. Sure there are plenty that can't function well in society and need more help than others, but we're not talking about that population since the topic is about a guy that has done pretty well in achieving societal success.

When I wrote that they can get up and move, that means they can make a concerted effort to take control of their own lives and make a change. They can take themselves out of the situation (without taking their lives). The vast majority of people will never do this and keep doing what they choose to do. Sane or otherwise...

I see what you mean, but also there are so many hours in the day, while a depressed/mentally ill person could wake up and make a concerted effort to get out of bed, go on with the day's work, something later in the day could trigger the depressed person's negative thoughts/self-hatred, afterall the reason suicides happen (more often than none) is a lack of coping skills. The crack in the dam is there for Mr. Lange, I hear he has alot of guilty feelings about his dad's accident that he blames himself for.