[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chargers vs Jets - Divisional Round

Riffraff

Any given sunday Bolt fans...keep thinking that this is an impossible L and you will regret it.

As mentioned before, the Ravens did it a few years back and the Jets can also. I don't think the Jets are going to win this game, but I don't think they are going to lose either...wierd. As a Jets fan, I rather play Rivers than Manning. I can see the Jets D rattling hot head Rivers more so than Manning.

If Sanchez only has to throw 15 times, the Jets win.

I agree with any given Sunday and don't think this is a gimme game! I think the Jets were the team out of the four that could cause the Bolts the most problems.

Rivers is emotional, but not a hot head. I think the best comparison I've heard is to Favre, but Rivers plays smarter. Manning is "the standard" right now, but overall, I think the Chargers are a better team than the Colts.

If Sanchez only has to throw 15 times, something terribly wrong has happened (for the Chargers) and the Jets do win. I haven't heard a single "expert" feel that that is a possibility yet. They will also have completely dominated the clock and shut down the Chargers O. I don't see them being able to completely shut them down.

I don't see a blow out and think the Jets can keep it closer than the Titans did. But, the Chargers are not getting gashed with big runs and keep everything in from of them. It will also not be as easy to go downfield. But, the Chargers can incorporate a very patient and safe passing game. The screen game is one of the best and substitutes greatly for the lack of running game.

It is not for me to avoid looking at this as a possible L. That is for the team. As a fan, if they lose, I will be bummed either way!

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jets fans, let's not get too crazy here. While it's clear Rex and the Jets are believing in themselves, there's no doubt the Chargers and Philip Rivers are too. 11 in a row.

What actually scares me more than anything is Darren Sproles and LaDainian Tomlinson and their ability to catch passes. I think that, coupled with the best pass-catching TE in the game (sorry Dallas Clark), will somehow temper that blitz and allow the Chargers to move the ball. A lot of those 3 and 14s will become 1st and 10s.

Quick Q- Sure it will be a loud atmosphere there, but there will probably be a lot of Sanchez fans at the game, no?

OT- What was up with Steve Weatherford, the Jets punter? You're dizzy and your heart feels like it's bating fast so you can't punt? Drink some electrolytes, lay down until you are needed, and then get in the GAME! You need to play maybe 7 plays the entire 3 hours. Insane. He needs to be cut immediately.

Weatherford had a resting heartbeat of 150. He tried to play, the team's medical people declared him out. They would not let him play. They even hid his helemt and uniform pants. It wasn't Weatherford's decsision. The guy tried to play. The medical staff would not let him.

McBoog, you make some good points. It's no secret, the Chargers are the better team. I think I'd call it close, if not for SD being so much better at the QB position. If not for that disparity, this could be a pik'em game. Since you admittedly made points for the Bolts and not for the Jets:

1) The Jets have only given up 61 points in their last 7 games. They have given up 30 or 31 points three times this year. In week 5, they were not ready for the wildcat, and Miami put up 31. In week 8, Miami put up another 30, but that was on two Ted Ginn 100 yard KO returns for TD's. Then NE put up 30 in week 11 on five Sanchez turnovers. In week 4, the Jets held Brees to under 200 yards and no TD's. NO had two defensive scores and Sanchez turned the ball over 4 times. But NO still only put up 24 points.

2) The Jets have finally figured out what Sanchez can and cannot handle in the NFL. He has stopped turning the ball over recently. He appears to finally have some confidence. He is much, much better at reading coverages now. That doesn't mean he can't revert back to his mid-season mistake prone play, but he has improved immensely.

3) Gates vs Rhodes- Rhodes has had a very up and down season, but he has the physical skills to cover Gates. The question is, will he have his head up his keester again, or will he play Ryan's scheme?

4) Everyone expects Revis to be in man on VJ, and he will be, but I expect Ryan will mix in some disguised zone. Ryan has done that before, especially when an opponent has multiple recieving weapons. VJ is good, but he isn't Moss/Wayne good. Floyd can hurt you, as can Gates and Sproles. I think Ryan will use some zone and try to get Rivers to make some wrong reads. This is a game where you might see the Jets in nickel more often than usual.

5) The Jets have 3 pro bowlers on the O line. After week 17, Marvin Lewis said Mangold and Faneca were all pro's, not just pro bowlers. In week 17, the Jets ran right. In the playoff game, left. Jones and Greene make a tandem that is difficult to stop behind that offensive line. The Jets will do their best to win ToP, shorten the game and try to keep the ball away. The Jets have run successfully against 8 in the box, sometimes even nine.

Sure, I'll take a sig line bet, but I'm not about to lay $$ on the Jets. SD should win. Having said that, the Jets have a better chance than most people seem to think. When a team has the highest ranked defense (#1 passing D) and rushing offense in the NFL, going against a passing offense, they have the ingredients needed to pull off an upset.

Weatherford had a resting heartbeat of 150. He tried to play, the team's medical people declared him out. They would not let him play. They even hid his helemt and uniform pants. It wasn't Weatherford's decsision. The guy tried to play. The medical staff would not let him.

McBoog, you make some good points. It's no secret, the Chargers are the better team. I think I'd call it close, if not for SD being so much better at the QB position. If not for that disparity, this could be a pik'em game. Since you admittedly made points for the Bolts and not for the Jets:

1) The Jets have only given up 61 points in their last 7 games. They have given up 30 or 31 points three times this year. In week 5, they were not ready for the wildcat, and Miami put up 31. In week 8, Miami put up another 30, but that was on two Ted Ginn 100 yard KO returns for TD's. Then NE put up 30 in week 11 on five Sanchez turnovers. In week 4, the Jets held Brees to under 200 yards and no TD's. NO had two defensive scores and Sanchez turned the ball over 4 times. But NO still only put up 24 points.

2) The Jets have finally figured out what Sanchez can and cannot handle in the NFL. He has stopped turning the ball over recently. He appears to finally have some confidence. He is much, much better at reading coverages now. That doesn't mean he can't revert back to his mid-season mistake prone play, but he has improved immensely.

3) Gates vs Rhodes- Rhodes has had a very up and down season, but he has the physical skills to cover Gates. The question is, will he have his head up his keester again, or will he play Ryan's scheme?

4) Everyone expects Revis to be in man on VJ, and he will be, but I expect Ryan will mix in some disguised zone. Ryan has done that before, especially when an opponent has multiple recieving weapons. VJ is good, but he isn't Moss/Wayne good. Floyd can hurt you, as can Gates and Sproles. I think Ryan will use some zone and try to get Rivers to make some wrong reads. This is a game where you might see the Jets in nickel more often than usual.

5) The Jets have 3 pro bowlers on the O line. After week 17, Marvin Lewis said Mangold and Faneca were all pro's, not just pro bowlers. In week 17, the Jets ran right. In the playoff game, left. Jones and Greene make a tandem that is difficult to stop behind that offensive line. The Jets will do their best to win ToP, shorten the game and try to keep the ball away. The Jets have run successfully against 8 in the box, sometimes even nine.

Sure, I'll take a sig line bet, but I'm not about to lay $$ on the Jets. SD should win. Having said that, the Jets have a better chance than most people seem to think. When a team has the highest ranked defense (#1 passing D) and rushing offense in the NFL, going against a passing offense, they have the ingredients needed to pull off an upset.

great post

I heard Rex Ryan handed out the postseason itinerary last week, and it included the Super Bowl parade. :wacko:

Say what you want, but that's what this team needs. I also think they have the best shot of any lower seed this week at winning. AFAIC, the Chargers lack heart and have yet to show they can win on this level with any consistency.

Stout D, great run game = the team you don't want to face in the postseason.

great post

+1 :wacko: I was hoping a Jets fan would break some of this out.

As for the Chargers not having "heart" !?!? They have pulled out a couple of BIG games in the Post Season. No, they have not gone all the way, but they have also been hampered by injuries in the post season as well (Rivers on a shredded knee, Gates with no big toe and LT with a knee injury at New England in the final?). This year they do not have that excuse.

As for Ryan dropping into a zone or even using zone blitz schemes, there are a couple of issues they face. Rivers and his WRs are one of the best units at reading zone blitzes. When used, you drop d-line into coverage and bring standard pressure. LT and more recently Sproles have scored many LONG TDs against zone blitz packages.

Using various zone coverages is fine if you get a lot of pressure up front. This is where the Jets, if anything, are suspect. They don't get a lot of up front pressure on the QB (18th in the league in sacks) and the Chargers O line is VERY good at pass protection (even better now that they have Hardwick back). Rivers is no longer a "young" QB. He has seen just about everything and like him or not, he is a tough QB and will take his hits. Give him (or any of the top QBs) time to read the D, and he will shred it, no matter how good the secondary is. I know this first hand because the Chargers have three very good Corners and quality safeties, but when they don't get the pressure up front, they give up a lot of passes.

IF the Jets can run against 8 in the box, game on. I see the Chargers committing to stopping the run (not many teams have been successful at this against the Jets and I am not saying the Chargers will be) and making Sanchez beat them, which will be hard for the rook, on the road, in that stadium. They were able to do this to the Titans and make it a shootout out early, but didn't have to face as tough a defense as the Jets have. If the Chargers are able to stay patient and get up early, the Jets don't seem to me to be built to be a big come-from-behind team.

As I think about this game more, I don't think Rhodes (or any one safety/LB) has the physical skills to cover Gates. He could be the real key to this game for the Jets D. VJax can be shut down, but now what do you do with Gates? If you double him, now Floyd, Nannee and the Backs are running one on one with LBs and Rivers is great at finding them.

I definitely see the Jets pulling this out if things break right for them. I disagree with the post earlier that it is the Jets game to lose. If both teams play flawless mistake free football and the penalties are held to a minimum, I think the Chargers right now are the better team with more playoff experience and win. We all know however, that that is not how most football games go and the Jets have the ability to beat anyone if they can play their game whistle to whistle.

I feel good about the Bolts chances this week, but I am far from thinking it is a guarantee!

As a HUGH LT fan, I got a chuckle out if this filmed three years ago but not released by crappy shoes from spammers until this last weekend (read the article).

Unless something DRASTIC happens with the salary cap or his desire to renegotiate down from the 5 mil he is due next year, this will sadly be the last year we see LT in the lightning bolt :wacko:

Unless one team goes on a turnover binge, I think this will be a close and entertaining game.

For whatever it's worth I can tell you that the Bolts are not taking the Jets lightly and are focused on beating them. For the last 11 games Norv has had the team prepared. We'll see if that continues.

Chargers fans can say what they want about their 11 game winning streak, how good Philip Rivers is :wacko: , etc., but the team with the better defense and running game always has a shot. In the playoffs, all it takes is a fumble here, a missed tackle there, maybe a special teams score, and anyone can win. I think the Jets will have a chance to win this game if they just avoid turnovers (or at least force more than they themselves commit).

After giving this more thought, I like the Jets chances of an upset even less.

I can't see the Jets giving up less than 27 points. Maybe an outside shot at 24. If the Jets are to win:

The Jets will have to outcoach the SD CS. They will have to gamble a lot, and try to force 2 turnovers. They will probably need a defensive score, or at least a T/O inside the SD 20 that results in a TD. Sanchez will have to throw for at least 200 yards, and the Jets will need at least 150 on the ground. The Jets must win the T/O battle, or they have no chance at all. Sanchez will have to hit for at least one long TD.

Ryan and Schottenheimer do like to take risks, even though they rely so much on the running game. Whether that means letting Sanchez air it out several times, a risky wildcat deep pass, or fake punts and FG's... I think they know in order to win, they will have to pull a rabbit or two out of their hats. I think they will mix in some nickel, man and some (how many?) all out blitzes. If Rivers gets time enough to let deep throw passing plays develop, the Jets are in trouble.

SD will put up points. The Jets will have to find a way to keep it close going into the 4th quarter, and I don't think they can do that soley on the reliable rushing attack. They will need some big plays from both the O and the D. I'm kind of resigned to a loss, and I'll just enjoy the ride. As long as they make a respectable showing, I'll be happy.

I can't see the Jets giving up less than 27 points. Maybe an outside shot at 24. If the Jets are to win:

The Jets will have to outcoach the SD CS. They will have to gamble a lot, and try to force 2 turnovers. They will probably need a defensive score, or at least a T/O inside the SD 20 that results in a TD. Sanchez will have to throw for at least 200 yards, and the Jets will need at least 150 on the ground. The Jets must win the T/O battle, or they have no chance at all. Sanchez will have to hit for at least one long TD.

Ryan and Schottenheimer do like to take risks, even though they rely so much on the running game. Whether that means letting Sanchez air it out several times, a risky wildcat deep pass, or fake punts and FG's... I think they know in order to win, they will have to pull a rabbit or two out of their hats. I think they will mix in some nickel, man and some (how many?) all out blitzes. If Rivers gets time enough to let deep throw passing plays develop, the Jets are in trouble.

SD will put up points. The Jets will have to find a way to keep it close going into the 4th quarter, and I don't think they can do that soley on the reliable rushing attack. They will need some big plays from both the O and the D. I'm kind of resigned to a loss, and I'll just enjoy the ride. As long as they make a respectable showing, I'll be happy.

Braylon will have to catch the football when he throws it deep....

This is a cool post Rovers! I think you are being a "reasonable" fan by looking at it this way. The Jets are a scary team and have the ingredients to win this game. One of the talking heads on the toob basically said that they need "a perfect storm", a combination of all of their strengths working perfectly together and a few "bad" (TOs, injury, penalties) thing happen to San Diego to win. This game in the Jets stadium would be totally different and they would have a much better chance of winning. But in the mild conditions that this game will be played in should not limit the Chargers from doing everything they do best.

I don't know about perfect, but I can see scenarios where they win. I think it will be very hard against a veteran group like the Chargers on the road. This is the Chargers time, the proverbial "window". Charger fans can feel it. It would be the worst loss in San Diego history, probably more so that the colossal tank jobs against Houston and also the Raiders in the playoffs (a long time ago for you puppies), or the freezer bowl in Cincinnati.

I really see the Jets surprising the Chargers. If they can keep the pass D as it has been all season the Bolts are going to have a very hard time running the ball when LT and Sproles did not run for over a 3.7 yd avg per carry. In fact, the Jets D only allowed 3.8 yds per carry during the season. If Sanchez doesn't turn the ball over it will be the Jets game.

The key for the Bolts will be their Defense. They need to stop that run or the Jets will steal this game.

I don't see this as a lock by any means and for reasons Rovers summed up in his earlier post before he got all wimpy and predicted a SD win after that.

:D

It's called the reverse curse. :wacko::D

BTW, I said in my first post I thought SD would win. But I've gone from about a 45% chance of a Jets win to something more like 35-40%.The Jets defense is good, maybe even very good, but not great. They lack a big time pass rusher. They have to rely on the blitz to get pressure. Leonard is a solid run sopport safety, but Rhodes who has all the tools to cover a Gates (yes, he does) has disappeared at times. He was even benched as a starter for 2 games. Rhodes has shyed away from contact and let Welker have a career day... that was the game that got him benched.

After Revis, the Jets have pretty average CB's. The Jets defense does have some soft spots. They need a superior game plan and have to play together. They have done that most of the time, but Manning showed what a great group of recievers and a QB that gets rid of the ball quickly and accurately can do to them in that second half opening drive in the "give-up" game.

The SD offense might be a great offense. It lacks balance, but that hasn't stopped them all year long. Like Indy, they don't need a running game to put up points. Ryan will need to somehow get Rivers to make misreads. This is a key element. While Rivers is good at reading coverages, the WR's will have to make the same reads, and Ryan is as good as any at disguising schemes from one play to the next. I really don't know what Ryan will do in this game defensively. Bitz like crazy, play nickel and dime, man or zone... and that is what he is all about. Doing the unexpected.

Will that be enough to throw Rivers off his game? Manning needed a half before he started to look like Manning. Then in the second half he marched the Colts down the field at will. Will we see a repeat of that on Sunday?

I know I’m missing something here. Maybe I’m more of a “blind homer” than I ever imagined. To hear many of the talking heads, the Chargers are kind of there with a good record, but the Jets are a brawling, dominating defense, can’t stop their run powerhouse, surging into the playoffs with an almost unstoppable recipe for playoff success. The Chargers are a finesse team, looking to tip toe their way to a Championship, riding an 11 game win streak against Pop Warner teams.

I have heard the talk about how the Bolts have not faced a good defense and except for squeaking by (a very emotional and desperate) Bengals team when comparing records to bolster the Jets awesomeness, you then hear the same Bengals being referred to as being exposed as a “paper tiger” when discounting the Bolts success (even in the same article). If you didn’t see the Vegas line, you would think that the Chargers are a real underdog in this game.

The last time Turner faced Ryan’s D, San Diego put up 32 points in 2007 against Baltimore (a team very similar to the one they face on Sunday). They put 48 up on these same Jets last year (different coaches with pretty much the same personnel), and then they put up over 400 yards of offense (in a loss) against the Ravens this year, still using the same defensive style that Ryan has in NY (despite having lost their center and reeling on defense from injuries). Turner’s game plans against these D’s have been very successful and they have had two weeks to prepare for it (Turner put special focus on the Jets last week because he “had a feeling”).

How is this going to be THAT much different?

The Jets defense, IMO, has greatly benefited statistically the same way the Raiders did a few years ago. They have a grinding offense that dominates TOP and limits their exposure. The better passers/passing offenses in this league have exposed susceptibility in the Jets pass D. When you shorten the game with a lot of running, you suppress the stats across the board.

I still don’t think this is a gimme game, but I am becoming wary of the hype the Jets are getting. A New York team in the SB is better ratings that one from San Diego… Just sayin’. Do I see a blowout of either team? Not really. But of the two, I think the Jets getting blown out is more of a possibility than the other way around. The Jets offensive style is not conducive to being able to walk away from an opponent (they blew out the Raiders and the Bucs :wacko: ). The Chargers routed a few bad teams, but also beat the Broncos, in Denver 32-3 and the Titans 42-17 in Tenn, both teams still hunting for a playoff berth.

One pundit said that in this era of football, you have to be able to score points and play adequate defense in the playoffs and that the game has changed from the pure D and run game of time past. Over the last 10 or 11 games, the Chargers went from getting gashed with the run to tightening things up well and were a top 10 team against the run (which also is a little misleading since teams had to abandon the run to keep up with the Chargers scoring). They do have a higher YPC against, but a lot of this has to do with a few long runs on missed assignments and the Titans basically giving up and getting CJ his stats (the Bolts went into a shell D and allowed the Titans to run and shorten the game/their exposure). If they were actually giving up 5 YPC, they wouldn’t have won a single game.

Yes. The Jets will have success running the ball, that is what they do and they are very good at it. The Chargers will score points and move the chains, that is what they do and they are very good at it. The Chargers D, undervalued as a Red Zone defense and for creating turnovers, will play adequately enough to stop the Jets from scoring more than they do. TOP is more important if you can’t score or move the ball down field quickly, which, the Chargers do very well. If the Bolts score almost every time they have the ball (or at least change field position), do it quickly and lose TOP (which happened often this year during the win streak), they still put a lot of pressure on their opponent to maximize EVERY possession.

The other key factor is that the Chargers are very good with Special Teams and creating long fields for their opponents. If the Jets are looking at long drives with that offense all day, they won’t be able to keep up with the Chargers offense, having to put the ball in the Rooks hands to keep up.

I really hope they let these two teams play and that the zebras are a non-factor in this game. Silly as it may seem, this is my biggest worry going into this game. It (penalties) hasn’t been a problem for the Chargers all year, I hope they can keep it that way.

BTW -

I think this is a very bad article and could be the type of "Bulletin Board Material" that makes it harder on the Jets as opposed to helping them. It is a bad idea to call out another man's toughness... :bash: The actual biggest "joke" in the article is the thinking that the Jets are "mentally" tougher. With all the adversity the Chargers have faced this year, even during the win streak, to say they are mentally tougher than a veteran team with a lot of playoff experience is delusional. This is where, IMO, the Chargers have the biggest advantage. Between the ears. :D

:D:D:D:bash::D

USA Today did one of those computer simulation studies on the Jets-Bolts game and had the Jets winning a little over 51% of the time. Pretty damn close!!!

I saw that... I don't put much faith into those things, but I started looking artound for articles on this game. USA Today, a SD newspaper, here there and everywhere. After reading about 8 or 9 articles, something struck me as a bit odd.

The Jets talked about SD, Rivers, Gates, etc. From Rivers to the HC, SD never talked about the Jets at all. They talked about themselves exclusively. They talked about their offense, their great record on comitting few penalties, and basically about how good they are.

I don't know if there is anything to read into any of that, but I did find it at least a bit curious. Does it mean that they think as long as they play their game, they can beat anyone? Does it mean they don't think the Jets can beat them, not worth mentioning? Gag order? Trying to avoid buletin board material? I mean, wouldn't you mention that your opponent is the highest ranked pass D in the NFL? Or talk about the best rush offense in the NFL?

Just struck me as... curious. Quiet confidence or not taking the Jets seriously?

Side notes: Ryan on NY sports radio thinks Sanchez has turned the corner. He said Sanchez now understands the Jets offense, something some rookie QB's take two years to do. Now it's a matter of reading the defense, not struggling with his own offense and understanding it. Could be coach speak... but maybe not. If Sanchez has had the light bulb go off....

I know I’m missing something here. Maybe I’m more of a “blind homer” than I ever imagined. To hear many of the talking heads, the Chargers are kind of there with a good record, but the Jets are a brawling, dominating defense, can’t stop their run powerhouse, surging into the playoffs with an almost unstoppable recipe for playoff success. The Chargers are a finesse team, looking to tip toe their way to a Championship, riding an 11 game win streak against Pop Warner teams.

I have heard the talk about how the Bolts have not faced a good defense and except for squeaking by (a very emotional and desperate) Bengals team when comparing records to bolster the Jets awesomeness, you then hear the same Bengals being referred to as being exposed as a “paper tiger” when discounting the Bolts success (even in the same article). If you didn’t see the Vegas line, you would think that the Chargers are a real underdog in this game.

The last time Turner faced Ryan’s D, San Diego put up 32 points in 2007 against Baltimore (a team very similar to the one they face on Sunday). They put 48 up on these same Jets last year (different coaches with pretty much the same personnel), and then they put up over 400 yards of offense (in a loss) against the Ravens this year, still using the same defensive style that Ryan has in NY (despite having lost their center and reeling on defense from injuries). Turner’s game plans against these D’s have been very successful and they have had two weeks to prepare for it (Turner put special focus on the Jets last week because he “had a feeling”).

How is this going to be THAT much different?

The Jets defense, IMO, has greatly benefited statistically the same way the Raiders did a few years ago. They have a grinding offense that dominates TOP and limits their exposure. The better passers/passing offenses in this league have exposed susceptibility in the Jets pass D. When you shorten the game with a lot of running, you suppress the stats across the board.

I still don’t think this is a gimme game, but I am becoming wary of the hype the Jets are getting. A New York team in the SB is better ratings that one from San Diego… Just sayin’. Do I see a blowout of either team? Not really. But of the two, I think the Jets getting blown out is more of a possibility than the other way around. The Jets offensive style is not conducive to being able to walk away from an opponent (they blew out the Raiders and the Bucs :wacko: ). The Chargers routed a few bad teams, but also beat the Broncos, in Denver 32-3 and the Titans 42-17 in Tenn, both teams still hunting for a playoff berth.

One pundit said that in this era of football, you have to be able to score points and play adequate defense in the playoffs and that the game has changed from the pure D and run game of time past. Over the last 10 or 11 games, the Chargers went from getting gashed with the run to tightening things up well and were a top 10 team against the run (which also is a little misleading since teams had to abandon the run to keep up with the Chargers scoring). They do have a higher YPC against, but a lot of this has to do with a few long runs on missed assignments and the Titans basically giving up and getting CJ his stats (the Bolts went into a shell D and allowed the Titans to run and shorten the game/their exposure). If they were actually giving up 5 YPC, they wouldn’t have won a single game.

Yes. The Jets will have success running the ball, that is what they do and they are very good at it. The Chargers will score points and move the chains, that is what they do and they are very good at it. The Chargers D, undervalued as a Red Zone defense and for creating turnovers, will play adequately enough to stop the Jets from scoring more than they do. TOP is more important if you can’t score or move the ball down field quickly, which, the Chargers do very well. If the Bolts score almost every time they have the ball (or at least change field position), do it quickly and lose TOP (which happened often this year during the win streak), they still put a lot of pressure on their opponent to maximize EVERY possession.

The other key factor is that the Chargers are very good with Special Teams and creating long fields for their opponents. If the Jets are looking at long drives with that offense all day, they won’t be able to keep up with the Chargers offense, having to put the ball in the Rooks hands to keep up.

I really hope they let these two teams play and that the zebras are a non-factor in this game. Silly as it may seem, this is my biggest worry going into this game. It (penalties) hasn’t been a problem for the Chargers all year, I hope they can keep it that way.

BTW -

I think this is a very bad article and could be the type of "Bulletin Board Material" that makes it harder on the Jets as opposed to helping them. It is a bad idea to call out another man's toughness... :bash: The actual biggest "joke" in the article is the thinking that the Jets are "mentally" tougher. With all the adversity the Chargers have faced this year, even during the win streak, to say they are mentally tougher than a veteran team with a lot of playoff experience is delusional. This is where, IMO, the Chargers have the biggest advantage. Between the ears. :D

:D:D:D:bash::D

McBoog... relax. Media hype is gonna build this game up as much as possible.

The Jets really aren't dissing SD, just saying that they think they have a mental toughness built on having played several must win games in a row, something SD has not had to do. SD hasn't played a high pressure game in a month or better. Yes, the Jets are talking, but I don't think they are dissing SD. SD on the other hand, as I mentioned in my previous post is saying nothing.

A couple of thingsI read about SD and their D... they have stopped several teams early at the GL. They made stops, and went down the field to score often after those D holds. They then went on to build early leads. That won't happen against the Jets. If the Jets get a first and goal from the 5, they will score.

While I admit that the Jets D has some soft spots, this D is far better than Cinci, Denver and the Cowboys. Forget that game last year against the Jets, but Ryan's D was torched 2 years ago by the Bolts... that means much more. SD spanked Ryan in that game.

PS: Waiting on you to post in the sig line bet!

Edited by Rovers

BTW -

:wacko::D:D:D:D

nice article. :bash: nothing like looking on the bright side of everything. and to say the Jets have been battle-tested? the Jets got two teams at the end of the season who had not nearly as much to play for as they did.

Edited by rebdog

McBoog... relax. Media hype is gonna build this game up as much as possible.

The Jets really aren't dissing SD, just saying that they think they have a mental toughness built on having played several must win games in a row, something SD has not had to do. SD hasn't played a high pressure game in a month or better. Yes, the Jets are talking, but I don't think they are dissing SD. SD on the other hand, as I mentioned in my previous post is saying nothing.

A couple of thingsI read about SD and their D... they have stopped several teams early at the GL. They made stops, and went down the field to score often after those D holds. They then went on to build early leads. That won't happen against the Jets. If the Jets get a first and goal from the 5, they will score.

While I admit that the Jets D has some soft spots, this D is far better than Cinci, Denver and the Cowboys. Forget that game last year against the Jets, but Ryan's D was torched 2 years ago by the Bolts... that means much more. SD spanked Ryan in that game.

PS: Waiting on you to post in the sig line bet!

Never have made a sig line bet. I have been waiting to do that once they reach the super bowl if they ever do. Sooo, I don't want to break tradition now.

And you do make an interesting point. All of my friends in SD say that there is little coming from Chargers camp, and what there has been, has been very generic and almost like pulling teeth. Mysteriously quiet if you ask me. Even my connects closer to the team are giving me NOTHING this week. There is a "quiet confidence" emanating from Chargers park, but it is a little unsettling to the fans. :wacko:

What is bothersome in "the media" is that few are actually picking the Jets, but almost all of them seem to be looking for "outs" if the Chargers lose, almost as if they would rather pick the Jets but can't. IMO, the press is way over hyping them. I think they are a solid team and can win this weekend, but they are not all that they are being blown up to be. Hey, the Chargers took down "the other hottest team in the NFL" when they destroyed a Titans team that was playing for everything. It was a playoff atmosphere for them and the Chargers had already clinched. It was the one game they could "afford" to lose because the real tie breaker was the following week against the Bengals. They crushed them anyway, in their house, on X-mas, on National TV, despite all the hype and hyperbole being throw the Titans way..

A lot of accolades have been heaped on Revis, and I can see why, but let's not forget about Jammer. Teams just do not throw his way unless they have to. If you check both players stats for this year you will see except for passes defensed and interceptions they are very similar.

2009 SD 16 16 58 47 11 0 11 3 25

2009 Jets 16 16 54 47 0.0 6 31 0

Revis had 31 passes defensed and 6 interceptions while Jammer had 11 passes defensed and 3 interceptions.

It would appear San Diego has a shutdown corner too.