[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My great-neice got christened

TimC

First time at a Catholic mass (even though I was best man at a Catholic wedding once). It was very nice and respectable. People seemed genuinely friendly and helpful. It was very different from a Baptist Church, which is the majority of my experience. I'm not saying it's better or worse and not trying to start anything.

Some observations..

-Nobody brings Bibles. Not one Bible in the place??? Baptists carry their Bibles around with them.

-They don't read from the scripture Hardly any reading. You can't go to a Baptist Church without getting half a chapter read.

-They make you feel bad for having stuff in life. The Priest kept admonishing people for having anything of value even though this was one of the richest areas in the burbs of Richmond.

-Passed around the collection plate twice. Once for the general donation, which is understandable, and then for a building donation.

-The pews faced each other instead of facing forward. You spent most of the service looking at the people across from you instead of ahead. I could tell people looking at me because I wasn't mouthing the words or doing the sign of the cross.

-Far more structured than the Baptists. You could tell they had been doing it their whole life and it was second nature. They hit all the cues...peace be unto you, etc.

-We didn't take the cracker and wine.

-No chorus and no feeling of uplifting. You walk out of a Baptist Church feeling energized and pumped a little. Much higher energy level.

-The Priest just randomly started singing??? He spoke the few Bible verses, but just sang general stuff.

All in all, it was a very nice experience.

Edited by TimC

First time at a Catholic mass (even though I was best man at a Catholic wedding once). It was very nice and respectable. People seemed genuinely friendly and helpful. It was very different from a Baptist Church, which is the majority of my experience. I'm not saying it's better or worse and not trying to start anything.

Some observations..

-Nobody brings Bibles. Not one Bible in the place??? Baptists carry their Bibles around with them.

-They don't read from the scripture Hardly any reading. You can't go to a Baptist Church without getting half a chapter read.

-They make you feel bad for having stuff in life. The Priest kept admonishing people for having anything of value even though this was one of the richest areas in the burbs of Richmond.

-Passed around the collection plate twice. Once for the general donation, which is understandable, and then for a building donation.

-The pews faced each other instead of facing forward. You spent most of the service looking at the people across from you instead of ahead. I could tell people looking at me because I wasn't mouthing the words or doing the sign of the cross.

-Far more structured than the Baptists. You could tell they had been doing it their whole life and it was second nature. They hit all the cues...peace be unto you, etc.

-We didn't take the cracker and wine.

-No chorus and no feeling of uplifting. You walk out of a Baptist Church feeling energized and pumped a little. Much higher energy level.

-The Priest just randomly started singing??? He spoke the few Bible verses, but just sang general stuff.

All in all, it was a very nice experience.

did she get circomcised. ( wow that one is in the filters)

They scribbled a cross on her forehead with the Holy Water and then everyone walked by at the end and dipped their hands in it and did the same. I don't know what that was about. :wacko:

Gotta wipe off the Satan, it tends to accumulate in the forehead region.