[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Disaster plans/equipment

MojoMan

So, we just had 10 days of major snowstorms where it was dang hard to get around and, during the height of the storms, nothing was open.

We didn't lose our power (luckily) although tons of people in the DC metro area did.

Collectively, we've also had Haiti, Katrina (and to a more local but way lesser degree, Isabelle), and 9/11. I live in the DC metro so some wacko or Arab terrorist could pull something at any time.

We know that the gummint can't help us.

So, I've put together a "bug out bag" and I've collected some supplies that, ostensibly, could also be used for camping.

Do any y'all have contingency plans and equipment?

Not like I should for when the Big One hits.

Funny thing is I am on the safety/disaster recovery teams at work, so I have seen a lot of the models of what is expected to happen when the big one comes. I have explained to my kids what to do in case of a fire at home and they are upstairs and can't get downstairs, so hopefully by regularly reviewing this with them, if it should happen, they would remember what to do.

I probably should put together a pack with water, canned foods, flashlights, batteries, etc.

As long as my home isn't destroyed and I can get there, I'm good for 60 days. It's probably taken 3 years to get to that point, building up a little at a time. I rotate my water and some of the food constantly. If I didn't live in the city, I'd have a larger supply of gas for the generator, but unfortunately, that just isn't possible.

I've never walked into a store with the goal of preparing for disaster in mind. Instead, when I notice ridiculous sales on canned goods, I pick some up. I have propane for the outdoor grill and just keep more than I need on hand. Same with firewood and charcoal. If you shop at Costco, you're halfway there already. If you need 2 AA batteries, why not just go to Costco and pick up a gross. It's easy to pick up some staples there (like rice) and then split them down, vacuum pack if needed (or put in mylar food bags). I've got a few MREs but really, they are going to be more necessary in a situation where you have to leave your home. I keep a few in bug out bags in each of the cars though.

In the NW, I would expect that any danger putting us in survival situations will come from earthquake or large scale power loss due to anything. (I'm about 50 miles away from Bonneville. If that ever has a serious problem, me and half of the west coast will be dark). While money will still be useful, the ability to access it will be much more difficult. A stash of cash should be included in survival supplies. About 5 years ago, I started taking every $1 bill out of my pocket and stashing it. I figured if people could do it with quarters 30 years ago, I probably wouldn't miss singles. They add up.

There are plenty of websites out there on the subject.

SLD is right on track, IMO. Not many of us can afford to get fully prepared all at once, so start with short terms stuff. We have a 72 hour kit for each member of the family in backpacks in case an emergency demands we be mobile. info