[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Baby survives parents' global warming suicide pact...

And while its sounds to me like you didn't pull the unPatriotic / hates troops / hates America card - would you perhaps allow for you to have not been as sensative to it - because as somebody who had a lot of concerns with a lot of things during our eight years under Bush, I can assure you - I recieved those sentiments a lot. At the absolute very least I was forced into a group of people and assigned a characture of somebody who loves terrorists and hates America.

I mean - whatever, it didn't bug me all that much because I knew why I had the concerns I had - but it is silly to say it was not there.

well that's not what you said before, you said it was wildly unpopular to criticize the government. the fact that people who felt differently said those sentiments helped our enemies or whatever should not be the least bit surprising. just as it is not surprising to hear claims from obama supporters that his critics want the economy to go further in the tank.

the truth of it is, there is probably some truth to it on both sides. I think a lot of people on the left truly DID want for the war in iraq to go badly -- in their minds, having it go badly repudiates the decision to go to war in the first place. and a lot of people on the right probably DO want the economy to perform badly as long as obama is president -- in their minds, that would invalidate the effectiveness of his big government policies. it can be tough to find middle ground between "patriotism" and essentially rooting against policies you disagree with.

but that's different from implying that people somehow felt bullied or something from speaking out against the war in iraq and such. I mean, maybe some on the right tried such rhetorical bullying (just as those on the left will try when it suits their political purposes), but that doesn't mean it was or ever will be very effective in silencing opposition.

I stand corrected - it was outside of a speech - a bit different I suppose.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/08/17/obama.protest.rifle/

And while its sounds to me like you didn't pull the unPatriotic / hates troops / hates America card - would you perhaps allow for you to have not been as sensative to it - because as somebody who had a lot of concerns with a lot of things during our eight years under Bush, I can assure you - I recieved those sentiments a lot. At the absolute very least I was forced into a group of people and assigned a characture of somebody who loves terrorists and hates America.

I mean - whatever, it didn't bug me all that much because I knew why I had the concerns I had - but it is silly to say it was not there.

And now anyone that disagrees with Obama is either uneducated "clinging to their guns and religion" or a racist.

Seriously I don't think these idiots that shot their kids are a true representation of the Democrats anymore than I think the guy that flew the plane into the building is a true representation of the TEA party. I was trying to make a point, one that apparently was lost on you because you took me literally.

I apologize if I offended you by calling you a butt pirate. It was attempting humor as people like you say I'm too much like Ben Stein, and need to add humor to my commments. It is well known on this board that you like to dress up like a pirate (mystery huddle pics.) If I actually thought you were gay I never would have made an insensitive comment like that, but it is well known you are married (The wench being a member and all).

I will admit that I do get frustrated by the personal attacks and sometimes fall to the level of the attackers, and occasionally I'll even start an attack against someone I feel has been less than civil with me previously in other threads. I should probably try to refrain from that. I try to keep the conversation civil, and about the facts not he poster or the sources they link (though I do enjoy calling the NY Times the Slimes).

I will not apologize for posting a lot of material, as I'm not forcing anyone to read what I post. If nobody wants to talk about it, that is fine, I don't bump my own threads, unless it is with new information. I post what I think is important, if you don't think it is important then you don't have to read it.

Here's the problem I think.

We're not arguing about the "truth" or what's right and wrong or whats "fact" - we're arguing about belief systems.

Back in the day the facts or the truth were whatever was printed in our local newspapers or whatever was spoken by Walter Cronkite or Paul Harvey.

Now we have the internets and 24 hour news channels and blogs and tweets and "gotcha" journalism.

If you believe the flatulence from UFO delivered, unicorn riding leprechauns is responsible for global warming you can probably find several online reports or studies or opinion pieces that support that position.

So the only way to advance your belief system, aka your facts, is to discredit the source, demean the person, or denigrate the intelligence - or post link after link supporting your belief.

Some people choose the former, some the latter, some both.

And if you come here hoping to learn something, well, good luck with that.

Bottom line, our little online community advances nothing and solves nothing, but it does kill a few minutes every day, and makes us laugh from time to time, and for that we should be thankful.

Here's the problem I think.

We're not arguing about the "truth" or what's right and wrong or whats "fact" - we're arguing about belief systems.

Back in the day the facts or the truth were whatever was printed in our local newspapers or whatever was spoken by Walter Cronkite or Paul Harvey.

Now we have the internets and 24 hour news channels and blogs and tweets and "gotcha" journalism.

If you believe the flatulence from UFO delivered, unicorn riding leprechauns is responsible for global warming you can probably find several online reports or studies or opinion pieces that support that position.

So the only way to advance your belief system, aka your facts, is to discredit the source, demean the person, or denigrate the intelligence - or post link after link supporting your belief.

Some people choose the former, some the latter, some both.

And if you come here hoping to learn something, well, good luck with that.

Bottom line, our little online community advances nothing and solves nothing, but it does kill a few minutes every day, and makes us laugh from time to time, and for that we should be thankful.

I <3 Driveby.

Seriously I don't think these idiots that shot their kids are a true representation of the Democrats anymore than I think the guy that flew the plane into the building is a true representation of the TEA party.

I

You DO realize these were Argentine citizens right? And it happened IN ARGENTINA . . right? I am willing to bet they dont belong to an American political party . . . but that is just me . .

Now, if only some of you guys had something that resembled a sense of humor.....:wacko:

the truth of it is, there is probably some truth to it on both sides. I think a lot of people on the left truly DID want for the war in Iraq to go badly -- in their minds, having it go badly repudiates the decision to go to war in the first place. and a lot of people on the right probably DO want the economy to perform badly as long as Obama is president -- in their minds, that would invalidate the effectiveness of his big government policies. it can be tough to find middle ground between "patriotism" and essentially rooting against policies you disagree with.

I agree, but I don't think it was 'a lot' of people - but rather the loudest most zealot fringe of either party. A lot of stuff like that is created by people who make their bread and butter in strife.

If I suggested that I personally felt bullied - I miscommunicated. I do feel people were bullied - news organizations and whatnot (see Phil Donahue) but I personally never felt bullied and that has no bearing on why I did or did not speak up over those years. I was just trying to point out hopelessness of Perch pointing out my hypocrisy in the idea that I did not hold those on the left accountable in the manner I might be doing to him. It would just get lost in the sheer volume hypocrisy and seemed kind of irrelevant by comparison. At the very least - my shortcomings of a few years ago (or even now) have nothing to do with what Perch is doing now.

he had a valid point.

Again, the only one here who was even remotely close to what Perch is doing, isn't on the boards anymore. If Az has a point, he surely needs to take some of his own advice.

ETA: And while Perch has just became a joke more than anything, I would hope he doesn't get banned like Skins did.

Edited by bushwacked

And now anyone that disagrees with Obama is either uneducated "clinging to their guns and religion" or a racist.

Seriously I don't think these idiots that shot their kids are a true representation of the Democrats anymore than I think the guy that flew the plane into the building is a true representation of the TEA party. I was trying to make a point, one that apparently was lost on you because you took me literally.

I apologize if I offended you by calling you a butt pirate. It was attempting humor as people like you say I'm too much like Ben Stein, and need to add humor to my comments. It is well known on this board that you like to dress up like a pirate (mystery huddle pics.) If I actually thought you were gay I never would have made an insensitive comment like that, but it is well known you are married (The wench being a member and all).

I will admit that I do get frustrated by the personal attacks and sometimes fall to the level of the attackers, and occasionally I'll even start an attack against someone I feel has been less than civil with me previously in other threads. I should probably try to refrain from that. I try to keep the conversation civil, and about the facts not he poster or the sources they link (though I do enjoy calling the NY Times the Slimes).

I will not apologize for posting a lot of material, as I'm not forcing anyone to read what I post. If nobody wants to talk about it, that is fine, I don't bump my own threads, unless it is with new information. I post what I think is important, if you don't think it is important then you don't have to read it.

You are silly if you think I have taken offense by being called a 'butt pirate'. I selected the name Duchess Jack and I was the cat that posted those flaming pictures of me. The only thing that offended me is that you didn't come up with something that made me laugh with the insult the guy above you thread. To be completely honest - I think you mailed it in, Perch. But really - no offense taken to the Butt Pirate thing. The Gay Pirate schtick was mine long before that copycat, Johnny Depp. As an aside, Butt Pirate would make a heck of an alias.

I am not asking you to stop posting. As I said - I love the chance to learn something new and to have my own views challenged. I am just trying to understand your motivations in posting as much as you do - because if you are trying to share something, you are seriously hurting the return on those efforts by the broad brushed name calling.

Other people on this board do that - but you can more or less boil down their motivations to just that - you on the other hand honestly seem like you are trying to get a message across - but you give your links an adversarial edge before people are even able to decide if its worth their time.

Edited by Duchess Jack

I can't imagine knowing your biological parents are spending eternity in hell.

Meh. 99.9% of us are following them there, just later.

Eternity with my parents. . .that IS hell.

You DO realize these were Argentine citizens right? And it happened IN ARGENTINA . . right? I am willing to bet they dont belong to an American political party . . . but that is just me . .

Bump. Yet another fantastic political hijack. Not all terrorists wear turbans. Some wear expensive cowboy boots and scour the internet on a daily basis for all things anti-Obama. :wacko: