[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Front load washers

Clubfoothead

So a more immediate need around these parts than sanding, priming and painting the eaves with the tax refund money we are keeping is a new washer. Translation - I've decided to try and do it myself. Since I have a wife that necessitates the matching dryer. After a week of on-line research I have concluded I need to got to Lowes then Home Depot and compare the mid-priced models in-store and then throw a dart.

What models do you have? Likes and dislikes?

If you are going to buy from Lowes or Home Depot, stop by your post office and get a moving/address change packet. They usually have a 10% off movers coupon to one of those stores. They accept each others coupons so it will work at either place. Just a heads up that might save you some $$$.

So a more immediate need around these parts than sanding, priming and painting the eaves with the tax refund money we are keeping is a new washer. Translation - I've decided to try and do it myself. Since I have a wife that necessitates the matching dryer. After a week of on-line research I have concluded I need to got to Lowes then Home Depot and compare the mid-priced models in-store and then throw a dart.

There is some good info in here about w/d, Club

ETA: Off of Czarina's comment, the washers do shake like a sombitch when they spin. There are warnings right on the one I have...

Edited by Delicious_bass

We bought the Samsung Front Loading Washer & Dryer about 2 weeks ago. Both have the steam option. The steam option on the washer is supposed to sanitize your clothes and the steam option on the dryer really comes in handy with refreshing and getting wrinkles out of your clothes before you wear them.

My wife loves them. The only thing I really use is the steam feature on the dryer. It works great on those stiff pair of jeans that have been in the drawer for a while or that shirt thats been hanging in your closet for a while. Just throw them in the dryer for a 15 minute steam cycle and they come out loose and wrinkle free.

Samsung received some pretty high marks on consumer reports, but they're still new so I guess only time will tell on how they hold up.

We bought ours at Lowe's after about a month of research and shopping around. I was actually working with a Sears salesman on the these and he suggested that I wait for one of their upcoming "sales". Well the sales day came and the "out the door" price for the pair (plus the stands) was still about $150 more than Lowe's regular price for everything. It goes to show how high Sears regular prices are in order to make it seem like you're getting a good deal when they knock off 15% or 20%.

I also bought the protection plan from Lowes even though I never buy them on stuff. But for $159 to cover the pair I couldn't pass it up.

I've heard that the front loaders are problematic if you don't have them on a really solid foundation (e.g., concrete) If your laundry area is on an upper floor, I'd reconsider.

:wacko:

We have a 1 story but the laundry room isn't on a concrete floor, it has the wood subflooring.

:D The problem with our current washer is it won't stay balanced anymore and starts jumping all over the place about every 3rd time you use it and it is 12 years old.

Edited by Clubfoothead

Funny timing....just got my Whirlpool Duet set delivered this AM. Got the 4.0 Cubic washer ($645 at Sears, whcih Lowes matched from $699), and the matching dryer ($719, which Lowes matched from $779). Pedastals are a rip off, but for ease of access and drawer space, bit the bullet at $215 each (negotiated from list price of $249).

Finished two loads this AM....quiet as anything I've ever heard :wacko:

Washer

Dryer

We've had the Samsungs for a couple of years. I'm doing laundry as I type :wacko: But they have been fantastic. They do spin fast as all hell but you wouldn't no it as they are really quiet. Bought the pedestals as well but Lowe's ended up crediting my card for the cost of both as I had problems with the delivery and complained.

Oh and ours are in the basement.

We've had the Samsungs for a couple of years. I'm doing laundry as I type :wacko: But they have been fantastic. They do spin fast as all hell but you wouldn't no it as they are really quiet. Bought the pedestals as well but Lowe's ended up crediting my card for the cost of both as I had problems with the delivery and complained.

Oh and ours are in the basement.

My samsungs are on the 2nd floor. I never hear them from anywhere in the house. Don't move around at all.

The only reason I mention the foundation stuff is that in a very short period of time, not one but two people I know had massive problems with their washers within 6 months of purchase. Different brands, both ended up having to replace the units and the spinning was the issue. Weird.