[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Free speech?

Ursa Majoris

If that was my son's funeral that I was attending, it would be very upsetting. BUT, I wouldn't give those losers the attention that they don't deserve by doing anything about it.

I respect your feelings and your choice to do nothing, but if it were me and that was my son? I can guarantee you I would be in jail within hours.

If that was my son's funeral that I was attending, it would be very upsetting. BUT, I wouldn't give those losers the attention that they don't deserve by doing anything about it.

I don't know. I may jerk the wheel and smash the gas pedal of the hearse into that crowd. But that's just me.

Nazi sympathisers, KKK, dog killers like Vick shouldn't be allowed to exist and breed either.

:wacko:

:tup:

CNN) -- A day after the U.S. Supreme Court affirmed Westboro Baptist Church's right to protest against homosexuality at military funerals, the fallen Marine's father, who unsuccessfully sued the controversial Kansas congregation, warned that the church's protests will eventually spark violence.

"Something is going to happen," Albert Snyder told CNN Thursday. "Somebody is going to get hurt."

"You have too many soldiers and Marines coming back with post-traumatic stress syndrome, and they (the Westboro protesters) are going to go to the wrong funeral and the guns are going to go off."

"And when it does," Snyder said. "I just hope it doesn't hit the mother that's burying her child or the little girl that's burying her father or mother. It's inevitable."

In an 8-1 decision, the high court ruled Wednesday that Westboro Baptist Church has a First Amendment right to picket military funerals, no matter how "hurtful" the message may be. The decision ended Snyder's five-year court fight on behalf of his late son, Matthew, a Marine lance corporal killed in Iraq, whose funeral was picketed by Westboro church members.

Albert Snyder again slammed the high court justices for not having "the common sense that God gave a goat."

"I just can't believe that there was no common sense used in this decision," Snyder said.

Because of the ruling, Snyder will have to pay $116,000 in court costs to the Rev. Fred Phelps, the pastor of Westboro.

"The worst part of this," Snyder said, "is I know they are going to use that money to do this to other soldiers."

Snyder recalled his son's funeral.

"When my son died, I knew two days ahead of time that they were coming," Snyder said. "I had other children that I had to worry about that didn't know what was going on."

"Because of (the protesters') presence, I had police coming out of the woodwork, I had sheriffs. I had a SWAT team. I had emergency vehicles. I had media coming in," Snyder said. "All I wanted to do was have a private dignified funeral for my son.

"They turned it into a three-ring circus," Snyder said.

When asked what his next step will be, Snyder replied. "The thing that just hits me the hardest is all the hatred in this country."

"And I think if I wanted to look to what I'm going to do in the future, I feel like that maybe there's where I need to be," Snyder said, "to try do something with all the hatred that's in this country."

A jury in Baltimore awarded Albert Snyder damages for emotional distress and invasion of privacy, but a federal appeals court threw out the verdict. The 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said the signs contained "imaginative and hyperbolic rhetoric" protected by the First Amendment.
Gee why do I suspect those in the brilliant 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals would feel differently if it were their son or daughter who's funeral was smeared by such "imaginative and hyperbolic rhetoric." How flamingly asinine and repulsive.

Speaking of which, I also suspect this so-called church probably wouldn't be as fired up about free speech rights if people picketed outside said alleged church before/after service with signs like "Jesus was a faggot, "F*** Jesus," or similarly brilliant sewage. Esp if it was afer a funeral service.

How can people still not get this? FREEDOMS ARE NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE ABSOLUTE.

Common sense: the ultimate oxymoron.

Emphasis on the MORON part.

Edited by BeeR

The best part is the apparent stinkeye Righteous Randy is giving the dude holding up the "f this guy" sign.

EDIT - actually, that's one of the BEST forms of deflating a Showtime Rotisserie like that - make the person look utterly ridiculous.

Edited by Chavez

Why don't the local VFW or American Legions get permits first to have a rally in support of the dead troops the day of the funeral from like two hours before the thing starts until an hour after it is over? Phelps can protests all he wants on the other side of town at that time or after the funeral. What else is the city supposed to do?

Phelps doesn't have a right to exercise his free speech anywhere, anytime he wants and he doesn't have a right to a permit to exercise his free speech if someone else already has a permit for a designated area and time. If the local VFW is expecting 100,000 people for the rally outside the cemetary from noon to 5:00 pm then the reverend has to go somewhere else during that time or hold his protest at the cemetary after the funeral is over. It doesn't matter how many actually show up, they have to plan for what is expected. It is probably a lot easier to get a few hundred thousand people to email a city or county or whatever that they plan on attending a rally in support of a dead soldier than to get them to donate money.

It's an idea. :wacko:

Where did you get that information?

The Supreme Court awarded about $16,000 in costs to Westboro.

Snyder's lawyers worked pro bono.Snyder has no legal fees.

From the posted article:

Because of the ruling, Snyder will have to pay $116,000 in court costs to the Rev. Fred Phelps, the pastor of Westboro.

Regardless, I think he deserves it for his extended grief.

From that website:

8) How Will Donations Be Spent?

All donations will be used to pay for all the costs associated with this case and due to the generosity of so many people, enough money has been donated. Thank you! The law firm of Barley Snyder has devoted thousand of hours of pro bono service to this case and not one dime has or will go to attorneys’ fees. Unfortunately, the U.S. Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals recently ordered Mr. Snyder to pay Westboro Baptist Church’s court costs, in the amount of $16,510. In the event that excess funds are received, once this case concludes, any excess will be donated to support veterans returning from Iraq or Afghanistan in the form of educational or healthcare assistance. Due to the generous contributions from thousands of friends and supporters, no more money is needed at this time. The family is extremely grateful for all the help!

From that website:

x2

I wonder where the extra $100K came from in the article (I found it in 2 separate ones)?

Still no regrets.