[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Giving Birth

Brentastic

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all let me say that I think your wife and child will probably be fine whether she's induced or not.

Although on rare occasions I have induced a patient for a social indication (husband being deployed, etc.), in general I'm not in favor of induction for non-medical reasons because of the higher incidence of complications and cesarean section with inductions. Inductions can also take a long time (i.e. days) and patients get very frustrated.

If the cervix is unfavorable (less than 2cm dilated), the induction is usually started by placing a prostaglandin med in the vagina. This can take up to 24 hours to ripen the cervix. If the cervix is at least 2cm dilated the prostaglandin med is not needed, and it is possible to either break the membranes or use IV pitocin to start labor contractions. This obviously shortens the overall length of time for the induction.

As much as obstetricians would like to think we do labor better than nature, we don't. Those who play, will sometimes pay.

Hope this info helps. :wacko:

I didn't want you to think your excellent advice went un-noticed. Sorry for the late response.

Anyways, my wife ultimately agreed that we should birth this child at nature's pace. So, we're still waiting and your input was appreciated.

Brent . . . does this mean the world will end in 2012, as predicted astrologically bu the Mayans? Seriously . . . is that part of the astrological belief system?

ha ha, I'm not sure exactly. I don't study astrology myself but I did ask my astrologer if there was anything she sees around that time - IIRC, she didn't see anything that could destroy the earth or anything overly dramatic like that.

The Maya did not predict the end of the world in 2012, that date is simply the end of their long-cycle calendar. I think the Maya believed this time would also trigger or coincide with a mass human spiritual shift or progression but I could be wrong about that. I do know that many people have exagerated the Maya's calendar/predictions. The Maya were basically masters of time (hence their more elaborate calendars) and very good at math. Other than that, I just think their calendar ends on that date which may or may not mean anything.