[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

This is why we can't ban guns...

Avernus

Why is it irrational? because you believe the opposite?

Seems there are plenty of people in this thread alone that agree gun safety where children are concerned is a pretty important thing.

The fact that you do not is rather frightening at best.

The reason it is irrational is there are many other things which cause 10 times as many accidental deaths as guns, and yet you want to to take away guns.

I agree that guns safety is an important thing, that is why I purchased a gun safe. That is also why I've taught my kids how to shoot, and to respect guns at an early age. I've also taught my kids to respect vehicles, and to not play in the vehicles and to watch for vehicles while outside playing. I've taught my kids to swim, but have also put up a fence between the house and pool when they were younger, and they are still not allowed to swim by themselves. My kids know where we keep the matches, and they know how to light candles, but I don't allow them to light the smoker or grill. If they want to use matches they have to tell us they are using them or they are punished. Point being I take precautions, and respect these things but I don't fear them.

Do you fear cars, matches, and swimming pools? I don't, I have the same respect for them as I do for firearms? I take precautions with all those things, just as I take precautions with my firearms. I'm sure there are parents out there that don't take precautions with cars, matches, and swimming pools yet because of the rare exception you aren't clamoring to have these things banned or reduced. So, yes your views on guns is irrational.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is silly about the comparisons made?

What isn't silly about them?

If you can't figure out the differences between a swimming pool, an automobile and a loaded handgun, you probably shouldn't own any of them.

Edited by Furd

First of all, there is no pro-pool, or pro-car lobby out there arguing that there should be no restrictions on pools or cars. Pools and cars are restricted in all sorts of ways. I support restrictions on firearms.

I'm still not aware that anyone has advocated banning guns in this thread.

Perch I am afraid of a guy driving a car that hasnt been taught how to drive because that could affect me and my family. Someone that has no idea how to swim might be afraid of pools and drowning.

My kids have been around guns since forever. Like you I keep them locked up and NEVER leave them about. However I do not feel the need to carry 24-7 so I do not. If someone asked me if guns were in the house because they were nervous I would tell them they are locked up, but I DO have knives in a block that arent locked up . . . :tup:

Just like pools and cars, if people do not know how to use guns, they can kill you or others. :tup: You need a license to legally operate a vehicle, and go through a training process to be certified to operate a car. You probably need a permit to have a pool with established fencing for safety according to local municipality. Do you need to pass a safety course to buy a gun? :wacko: Background check yes . . but a safety course?

A fear of something you are not familiar with is not irrational at all. Especially when irrational people can easily get ahold of guns.

I agree with you about teaching people how to safely use guns. In most states in order to get a hunting license you have to show proof of having to take a firearm safety course. For most people (Probably 95%) hunting is their first experience with firearms these days. For some people our age, they may have learned at firing ranges at summer camps, or as scouts.

Yes if you live in the city you have to permit a pool, but if you live outside the city limits you don't. Yes people are required to pass a test to drive on public highways but I learned to drive at 11 years old on the dirt roads of the dear lease in a 1943 Willys MB Jeep. I didn't need the state to license me to do that. You don't have to have a license to drive on your own property. I've never been against permit requirements to conceal carry, but I am against any requirement for possessing on my on property. There is no training coarse or licensing requirement to use matches.

Again I'm not against requiring education and testing for concealed carry permits. Nor do I have a problem with permitting other than it is just another tax. I have a major problem with having to register firearms. It is nobody's business what or how many I have. That more than anything is why I got my conceal carry permit. With the permit I can buy guns without it going into the federal database. It will go into the state's but I believe the state deletes everything after 60 days.

It is irrational to fear something and want to limit other people's use of something that is statistically less dangerous than any number of things people use everyday, just because you are not familiar with it.

Do you need to pass a safety course to buy a gun? :wacko: Background check yes . . but a safety course?

I can not speak for all states, but a safety course is mandatory for obtaining a license to carry a firearm in MA.

Of course there are different problems in obtaining a license here, such as the local Chief of Police being able to grant or deny any level of license to an applicant he wishes without the need for any kind of explanation for the decision.

It's a VERY important thing. But IMO banning the carry of guns ( legally) and posting a sign in your yard saying you own guns is ridiculous.

Who ever said the banning of guns, or the posting of a sign in your yard, were viable options? You are right, they are both ridiculous.

First of all, there is no pro-pool, or pro-car lobby out there arguing that there should be no restrictions on pools or cars. Pools and cars are restricted in all sorts of ways. I support restrictions on firearms.

I'm still not aware that anyone has advocated banning guns in this thread.

If you are outside the city limits you can build a pool any way you want, there are not restrictions. If it is on your property you can let your kids drive all over it without restriction. I agree with permitting for a CHL, but I don't think there should be any restrictions on what I have at the house, or carry in the car provide it is being transported unloaded and is out of arms reach.

It is irrational to fear something and want to limit other people's use of something that is statistically less dangerous than any number of things people use everyday, just because you are not familiar with it.

Nuclear weapons are less dangerous than pools, matches, deep fryers & knives, because they too have killed less people. Statisitcally speaking, that is.

You do realize how insane your reasoning is, don't you?

I can not speak for all states, but a safety course is mandatory for obtaining a license to carry a firearm in MA.

Of course there are different problems in obtaining a license here, such as the local Chief of Police being able to grant or deny any level of license to an applicant he wishes without the need for any kind of explanation for the decision.

That sounds like a due process violation.

To receive a hunting license that allows you to hunt unsupervised in Texas you have to take an 8 hour hunter's safety course well over half of which is firearms safety. To get a CHL in Texas you have to take an 8 hour course half of which is range time.

To receive a hunting license that allows you to hunt unsupervised in Texas you have to take an 8 hour hunter's safety course well over half of which is firearms safety. To get a CHL in Texas you have to take an 8 hour course half of which is range time.

You have to do the same in MA...different animal as it deal mostly with rifles and shotguns. You don't need an LTC to get a license or shotgun in MA, you need what's called a Firearms Identification Card, which also requires a course. Hunters Ed qualifies for this, but for the LTC you need a pistol specific course.

That is totally different than buying and owning a gun Perch. You need a valid drivers license to BUY a car from a dealership.

You do not need to pass the hunters safety course to purchase and own a gun, at least not in Wisconsin where I was raised. :wacko:

Nuclear weapons are less dangerous than pools, matches, deep fryers & knives, because they too have killed less people. Statisitcally speaking, that is.

You do realize how insane your reasoning is, don't you?

You are comparing nuclear weapons to guns do you realize how insane that is? You thought our comparison with the death rates of pools and guns was crazy. Obviously I don't think I've ever stated people should be allowed nukes. I d think they should be allowed any fire arm that they can carry on them. I don't understand why the IRS agents can have shotguns with shorter barrels than I can legally own.

That is totally different than buying and owning a gun Perch. You need a valid drivers license to BUY a car from a dealership.

You do not need to pass the hunters safety course to purchase and own a gun, at least not in Wisconsin where I was raised. :wacko:

I don't need a drivers license to purchase or own a vehicle in Texas. I do need a drivers license to drive a car home from a dealership, but not to purchase it, and not to use it on my own property.

I don't need a drivers license to purchase or own a vehicle in Texas. I do need a drivers license to drive a car home from a dealership, but not to purchase it, and not to use it on my own property.

Again . . like I said MULTIPLE times, it can be different by state or municipality. And you DO need a drivers license to take it home . . . not so with a gun.

I would be in favor of having people complete a safety course before buying a gun that can be completed before the background check comes back. While I own multiple guns, and I dont see why someone would feel the need to be "packing heat" 24-7, I think a mandatory safety course would do wonders for dispelling negative perceptions about gun ownership and usage.

Again . . like I said MULTIPLE times, it can be different by state or municipality. And you DO need a drivers license to take it home . . . not so with a gun.

I would be in favor of having people complete a safety course before buying a gun that can be completed before the background check comes back. While I own multiple guns, and I dont see why someone would feel the need to be "packing heat" 24-7, I think a mandatory safety course would do wonders for dispelling negative perceptions about gun ownership and usage.

I've purchased cars out of town before where the dealership has delivered the car to me, so I DO NOT need a drivers license to get the car home, just like I don't need a license to have a gun at home. I'm all for hunter's safety coursed, as well as CHL courses having safety aspects. I'm also all for voluntary gun safety course for anyone that want them, though frankly I can teach my kids more about gun safety than a course because I can teach tot he specific gun.

I don't see the need for a lot of things people do, but that doesn't mean I don't think they should be able to do them as long as they aren't harming anyone else, and as the statistics indicate rather than harm others, CHL actually help lower the crime rate, and make the crime that does occur less severe.