[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Massive Gulf Coast Oil Spill

BeeR

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy Planet Earth this thing is costing major money all over the place...the worst possible nightmare for any operator/producer. Major $$$ worth of oil being lost, major $$$ being spent on contractors daily and drilling costs that will cannot be made back, major major $$$ for cleanup, major major major $$$ in damages to the planet, major major major $$$ in damages to human suffering, this thing cannot quit gushing money in so many ways I cannot count. Holy crap!

Holy Planet Earth this thing is costing major money all over the place...the worst possible nightmare for any operator/producer. Major $$$ worth of oil being lost, major $$$ being spent on contractors daily and drilling costs that will cannot be made back, major major $$$ for cleanup, major major major $$$ in damages to the planet, major major major $$$ in damages to human suffering, this thing cannot quit gushing money in so many ways I cannot count. Holy crap!

So, what you're sayingis that it is another one of the Obama admin stimulus package, shovel ready projects?

So, what you're sayingis that it is another one of the Obama admin stimulus package, shovel ready projects?

as the jobless claims show this morning, we cannot afford another "stimulus" package. What a waste. And definately don't go looking for that bartender job in Pensicola this summer... sux to be 18, the summer dream job just got slicked on.

as the jobless claims show this morning, we cannot afford another "stimulus" package. What a waste.

Don't tell that to wiegie.

as the jobless claims show this morning, we cannot afford another "stimulus" package. What a waste.

Yeah, it's going to be ugly when the stimulus dollars run out. Too many of the jobs that have been created will be suddenly unfunded....

Yeah, it's going to be ugly when the stimulus dollars run out. Too many of the jobs that have been created will be suddenly unfunded....

90% of the new jobs "created" in the last report were temporary census workers.

Yeah, not paying $600,000 for some temp to fix a pothole will cripple the economy. [/Obamalogic]

You poor bastards along the GUlf are fokked. The cascade of crap that has fallen on you guys over the past few weeks is just heartwrenching. Not only do you now have the oil to contend with from BP's royal screw up (which the clean up can hopefully provide some jobs) but now the federal government, in all of their infinite wisdom, is going to cost thousands of jobs and businesses, by shutting down oil operations, during one of the worst economic cycles in history. Good thinking. I see that unemployment rate going up here very soon. Hope you guys can make it through all this diaper dirt.

Edited by SEC=UGA

Sadly not surprising, and you can't really blame the oil companies for pulling them. This was caused by either a short sighted knee jerk reaction without thought of the consequences or political maneuvering. Honestly I don't know which, and don't know which is worse.

That sucks, man. Unfortunately, people don't really care anymore and won't raise a stink over this. They're used to every product they own being made overseas now...no matter how much it harms America. This world economy thing is really dragging us down to Third World level. Sucks bad.

Hell, I try to support companies that support Americans as much as possible and am a dying breed. See any car thread.

Edited by TimC

I'll weigh in on the other side. I'm sorry that y'all are gonna take the economic hit from the loss of jobs but in the long term, it is healthier for the US to begin weaning themselves off the oil tit now than it it is to wait. That means drilling, refineries, the whole enchilada. If we stand any chance at being energy self sufficient it needs to begin with us developing and building those ideas and devices right her in the US. Not waiting for the Japanese or Chinese to develop it for us and continue to sell us their cheap assed crap.

I'll weigh in on the other side. I'm sorry that y'all are gonna take the economic hit from the loss of jobs but in the long term, it is healthier for the US to begin weaning themselves off the oil tit now than it it is to wait. That means drilling, refineries, the whole enchilada. If we stand any chance at being energy self sufficient it needs to begin with us developing and building those ideas and devices right her in the US. Not waiting for the Japanese or Chinese to develop it for us and continue to sell us their cheap assed crap.

and reading between the lines, you're saying the way to begin the weaning is to bring about higher energy costs by cutting all of our domestic supply, and depend solely on foreign oil until we are "weaned".

if you're so concerned about being dependent on oil, wouldn't it be easier -- and smarter economically and diplomatically -- to just increase cost by raising gas taxes?

These rigs are so immaterial to the amount of oil the USA consumes... if every offshore rig in the gulf shuts down it will not even dent supply unfortunately. All the oil spilled in the Gulf of Mexico wouldn't supply the state of Texas for 1 day. I agree with your concept though, but I don't agree this is the way to accomplish it. Obama is in a diaper dirt storm right now and he is getting desperate.

and reading between the lines, you're saying the way to begin the weaning is to bring about higher energy costs by cutting all of our domestic supply, and depend solely on foreign oil until we are "weaned".

if you're so concerned about being dependent on oil, wouldn't it be easier -- and smarter economically and diplomatically -- to just increase cost by raising gas taxes?

The other side of higher energy costs is reduced demand for oil and increased demand for alternative sources. So yes, I agree with the easier, I don't necessarily agree with the smarter. There is certain to be backlash associated with increased taxes of any sort.

These rigs are so immaterial to the amount of oil the USA consumes... if every offshore rig in the gulf shuts down it will not even dent supply unfortunately. All the oil spilled in the Gulf of Mexico wouldn't supply the state of Texas for 1 day. I agree with your concept though, but I don't agree this is the way to accomplish it. Obama is in a diaper dirt storm right now and he is getting desperate.

So why drill there then when the cost of doing so is potential ecological disaster? If is doesn't amount to ahill of beans, why should we be drilling there at all when the risks far outweigh the potential benefits? That would mean that Obama is correct in shutting down drilling operations there.

The other side of higher energy costs is reduced demand for oil and increased demand for alternative sources. So yes, I agree with the easier, I don't necessarily agree with the smarter. There is certain to be backlash associated with increased taxes of any sort.

well some would argue there is some backlash associated with such blatant "outsourcing of good productive jobs", and that's exactly what banning domestic oil production would be.

again, if your goal is "weaning" via higher costs, it would make a whole lot more sense to impose those costs across the board, on fuel from all producers regardless of country-of-origin, rather than by shutting down production in one little area. all those rigs being shut down off the gulf coast, they're just sailing off to other parts of the world. shutting them down off our waters probably won't affect the price of oil in any discernible way, so this weaning you're hoping for won't even happen. all you're really doing is punishing an area that just had its second largest industry crippled by an oil spill with taking away it's largest industry. that's brilliant. but hey, I guess doing so might help them get cap and trade passed. :wacko:

Edited by Azazello1313

1/3 of US oil comes from deep water Gulf

The offshore, including the Gulf of Mexico, California, and Alaska, produces 37% of all the oil the U.S. produces - more than the state of Texas, more than Alaska, more than Louisiana. The total amount (Dec. 2009) is 2,025,000 barrels per day out of 5,460,000 total US production. Of that offshore total (2,025,000 b/d) 60,000 barrels comes from Federal waters offshore CA and Alaska, an additional 230,000 barrels per day comes from state waters offshore CA and AK, and all the rest (1,734,000 barrels per day) comes from the Gulf of Mexico. 19,000 barrels of that is from the state waters of Louisiana and TX, and the rest is from the Federal waters of the Gulf.

So the total percentage of US oil that comes from the offshore Gulf of Mexico is just under 32%.

Guys...let's get it right. This isn't a small amount of oil we are talking about. Obama has just smashed us...let's face it.

1/3 of US oil comes from deep water Gulf

The offshore, including the Gulf of Mexico, California, and Alaska, produces 37% of all the oil the U.S. produces - more than the state of Texas, more than Alaska, more than Louisiana. The total amount (Dec. 2009) is 2,025,000 barrels per day out of 5,460,000 total US production. Of that offshore total (2,025,000 b/d) 60,000 barrels comes from Federal waters offshore CA and Alaska, an additional 230,000 barrels per day comes from state waters offshore CA and AK, and all the rest (1,734,000 barrels per day) comes from the Gulf of Mexico. 19,000 barrels of that is from the state waters of Louisiana and TX, and the rest is from the Federal waters of the Gulf.

So the total percentage of US oil that comes from the offshore Gulf of Mexico is just under 32%.

Guys...let's get it right. This isn't a small amount of oil we are talking about. Obama has just smashed us...let's face it.

I think ted was saying it's insignificant in the scheme of global oil supply. those rigs will just pick up and move elsewhere, and take all those jobs with them. point being, it's not going to affect the price of a barrel of oil much. it's going to affect the economy of the gulf region enormously, I think that much is patently obvious.

Edited by Azazello1313

Isn't it a temporary moratorium, with some apparent large loopholes, until they get there emergency procedures together?

Isn't it a temporary moratorium, with some apparent large loopholes, until they get there emergency procedures together?

the rigs pulling up anchor and heading off to other parts of the world seem to view it as more of a long-term thing. some of the others are sort of in a holding pattern waiting to see. I guess we'll see how it ultimately shakes out.

I'm sure there could be some alterations to the lease contracts but Big Oil is just doing the math, 33 rigs paying (Transocean/others) $500,000 a day to just sit there isn't going to work for them. That is 90 million per rig for 6 months...or for all of them 2.97 billion. Brazil isn't that far away.

I think ted was saying it's insignificant in the scheme of global oil supply. those rigs will just pick up and move elsewhere, and take all those jobs with them. point being, it's not going to affect the price of a barrel of oil much. it's going to affect the economy of the gulf region enormously, I think that much is patently obvious.

You mean all those red states?