[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Seems we caught us a Mexican!

SEC=UGA

ATLANTA — Jessica Coltl studied hard and dreamed of becoming a lawyer but her plans were put on hold about a month ago when she was arrested for driving without a license and sent to an immigration detention center.

Coltl, a 21-year-old senior at Kennesaw State University in suburban Atlanta, was pulled over for a minor traffic violation. After her arrest, she was taken to an immigration detention center in Alabama and on Tuesday a judge denied her bond, said sorority sister, Lila Parra.

“My heart just breaks,” Parra said. “She fought so hard and did so well academically and to get shut down in her senior year, it’s just not fair.”

Coltl’s parents brought her to the United States when she was 10. Two of her three younger siblings were born here and are American citizens, Parra said.

Parra and about 30 other Lambda Theta Alpha sorority members from several different universities joined a rally at the Georgia Capitol Saturday to march and rally in favor of federal immigration reform. The event was one of many planned around the country to protest a strict new immigration law in Arizona and to call on lawmakers to reform federal immigration laws. The rallies were held May 1 because it’s a traditional day of protest and International Workers Day.

Police and organizers estimated that about 5,000 people participated. Protesters carried American flags and signs demanding legalization for the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants living in the U.S. and an end to deportations.

Rep. Pedro Marin, one of a handful of Hispanic members of the Georgia Legislature, addressed the rally, calling on the crowd to register to vote and to actually cast ballots to ensure that lawmakers hear their voices.

“We cannot allow Georgia to turn into Arizona,” Marin said, referring to the new law in Arizona that makes it a state crime to be in the U.S. illegally and lets police question anyone they suspect of being an illegal immigrant.

The Arizona law’s passage has galvanized immigrant rights groups across the country, prompting calls to boycott Arizona businesses and protests outside Arizona Diamondbacks baseball games.

Many in Arizona support the law amid growing anger over the federal government’s failure to secure the border. The state has become a major gateway for drug smuggling and human trafficking from Mexico.

In the final days of the legislative session this week, the Georgia Senate passed a resolution to urge Washington to secure the borders because Georgia “is unable to withstand the financial burden created by illegal immigration.” The resolution urges President Barack Obama and Congress to devote more resources to tightening immigration control.

Read more: http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2010/05/02/...l#ixzz0msLtIRE1

My biggest question is, how could she have gone through school and then college without ANY of these institutions checking on her legal status. Furhtermore, w/o a license how can she get a license plate for her car and car insurance?

ATLANTA — Jessica Coltl studied hard and dreamed of becoming a lawyer but her plans were put on hold about a month ago when she was arrested for driving without a license and sent to an immigration detention center.

Coltl, a 21-year-old senior at Kennesaw State University in suburban Atlanta, was pulled over for a minor traffic violation. After her arrest, she was taken to an immigration detention center in Alabama and on Tuesday a judge denied her bond, said sorority sister, Lila Parra.

“My heart just breaks,” Parra said. “She fought so hard and did so well academically and to get shut down in her senior year, it’s just not fair.”

Coltl’s parents brought her to the United States when she was 10. Two of her three younger siblings were born here and are American citizens, Parra said.

Parra and about 30 other Lambda Theta Alpha sorority members from several different universities joined a rally at the Georgia Capitol Saturday to march and rally in favor of federal immigration reform. The event was one of many planned around the country to protest a strict new immigration law in Arizona and to call on lawmakers to reform federal immigration laws. The rallies were held May 1 because it’s a traditional day of protest and International Workers Day.

Police and organizers estimated that about 5,000 people participated. Protesters carried American flags and signs demanding legalization for the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants living in the U.S. and an end to deportations.

Rep. Pedro Marin, one of a handful of Hispanic members of the Georgia Legislature, addressed the rally, calling on the crowd to register to vote and to actually cast ballots to ensure that lawmakers hear their voices.

“We cannot allow Georgia to turn into Arizona,” Marin said, referring to the new law in Arizona that makes it a state crime to be in the U.S. illegally and lets police question anyone they suspect of being an illegal immigrant.

The Arizona law’s passage has galvanized immigrant rights groups across the country, prompting calls to boycott Arizona businesses and protests outside Arizona Diamondbacks baseball games.

Many in Arizona support the law amid growing anger over the federal government’s failure to secure the border. The state has become a major gateway for drug smuggling and human trafficking from Mexico.

In the final days of the legislative session this week, the Georgia Senate passed a resolution to urge Washington to secure the borders because Georgia “is unable to withstand the financial burden created by illegal immigration.” The resolution urges President Barack Obama and Congress to devote more resources to tightening immigration control.

Read more: http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2010/05/02/...l#ixzz0msLtIRE1

one down 12-20 million to go! :wacko:

We should rally to to protest the enforcement of all laws. Laws are unfair.

I was late to work this morning because there was an ambulance and a bunch of cops that held me at a red light for like 15 extra minutes. It's unfair that I should have to yield to them. I think that the roads that I travel should be santuary roads (for me) so that priority vehicles get treated just like any other vehicles on the road. Who do they think they are with their elite high and mighty sirens and flashing lights? Ambulances are racist. Who's with me?

My biggest question is, how could she have gone through school and then college without ANY of these institutions checking on her legal status. Furhtermore, w/o a license how can she get a license plate for her car and car insurance?

because all of those public schools and government offices are happy to give out those services to whoever wants them? :wacko:

a lot of the people who say they care about the problem of illegal immigration, but always seem to advocate doing nothing about it, always talk about cracking down on people who hire illegals. well, that's well and good, but how about the schools? shouldn't the schools that take and spend actual taxpayer dollars be expected to be at least as dilligent? but they sure as heck aren't. in fact, and I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think many/most districts, either by law or internal policy, enroll students even if they are known to be here illegally.

Seems a bit ironic that she wants to be a lawyer and yet is here illegally and driving around without a license.

Absolutely.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people get out and demonstrate(ie this past weekend) for the rights of people whose first move in this country was to break the law and continue to break the law (often multiple laws) every single day :wacko:

Edited by Delicious_bass

i will say it again, i dont mind having non-citizens in the country. they do provide good things. but get everyone documented!!!! and dont pay them ss unless they pay in!

pretty much where I am at. as far as I'm concerned, the ideal situation would be first, do a MUCH better job securing our national borders. THEN, start letting a lot more people in legally. and maybe once the border is reasonably secure, then you start thinking about how to deal with those millions of people who already got in illegally.

pretty much where I am at. as far as I'm concerned, the ideal situation would be first, do a MUCH better job securing our national borders. THEN, start letting a lot more people in legally. and maybe once the border is reasonably secure, then you start thinking about how to deal with those millions of people who already got in illegally.

I pick option #3.

Those "vote for Pedro" t-shirts didn't hurt his campagn, imo.

link

Edited by MikesVikes

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE!!!

Cobb County authorities are looking to re-arrest Jessica Colotl, the Kennesaw State University senior and illegal immigrant at the center of a growing controversy.

Colotl -- who was caught driving without a license, sent to an immigration detention center and released last week -- was 10 years old when her parents brought her to the Unites States from Mexico, friends said.

Sheriff Neil Warren obtained a warrant Wednesday evening saying the 21-year-old Colotl committed a felony by giving authorities a false address while in custody, according to WSB-TV. Authorities have not found her yet.

"It is sad that Ms. Colotl's parents chose to enter the United States illegally and ultimately put her in this position," Warren said in a statement. "However, Ms. Colotl knew that she was in the United States without authority to be here and voluntarily chose to operate a vehicle without a driver's license, which is a violation of Georgia law. She has further complicated her situation with her blatant disregard for Georgia law by giving false information."

Colotl was granted KSU's in-state tuition after graduating from a Georgia high school. KSU officials now will charge her with out-of-state tuition.

Colotl had been on track to graduate this fall with a political science degree. She hopes to become a lawyer.

When Colotl was released last week, immigration authorities deferred action on her status for one year, seemingly giving her time to complete her degree. But now Cobb County authorities are looking to re-arrest her.

UPDATE!!!

Cobb County authorities are looking to re-arrest Jessica Colotl, the Kennesaw State University senior and illegal immigrant at the center of a growing controversy.

Colotl -- who was caught driving without a license, sent to an immigration detention center and released last week -- was 10 years old when her parents brought her to the Unites States from Mexico, friends said.

Sheriff Neil Warren obtained a warrant Wednesday evening saying the 21-year-old Colotl committed a felony by giving authorities a false address while in custody, according to WSB-TV. Authorities have not found her yet.

"It is sad that Ms. Colotl's parents chose to enter the United States illegally and ultimately put her in this position," Warren said in a statement. "However, Ms. Colotl knew that she was in the United States without authority to be here and voluntarily chose to operate a vehicle without a driver's license, which is a violation of Georgia law. She has further complicated her situation with her blatant disregard for Georgia law by giving false information."

Colotl was granted KSU's in-state tuition after graduating from a Georgia high school. KSU officials now will charge her with out-of-state tuition.

Colotl had been on track to graduate this fall with a political science degree. She hopes to become a lawyer.

When Colotl was released last week, immigration authorities deferred action on her status for one year, seemingly giving her time to complete her degree. But now Cobb County authorities are looking to re-arrest her.

Too bad. She'd have made another fine lawyer.

a lot of the people who say they care about the problem of illegal immigration, but always seem to advocate doing nothing about it, always talk about cracking down on people who hire illegals. well, that's well and good, but how about the schools? shouldn't the schools that take and spend actual taxpayer dollars be expected to be at least as dilligent?

Yes, absolutely. Residency status should be a prerequisite for virtually everything, especially anything that enables the disbursement of tax dollars. Schools would complain but since they've doubled, tripled or quadrupled their admin, "outreach" and other pandering staff over the past ten or twenty years, they should be able to cope just fine.

e-Verify, the government database, should be mandatory for all enrollments and hirings.

Yes, absolutely. Residency status should be a prerequisite for virtually everything, especially anything that enables the disbursement of tax dollars. Schools would complain but since they've doubled, tripled or quadrupled their admin, "outreach" and other pandering staff over the past ten or twenty years, they should be able to cope just fine.

e-Verify, the government database, should be mandatory for all enrollments and hirings.

I <3 ursa...