[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A lesson in sportsmanship

rajncajn

Where's the sportsmanship? Girl disqualified for wearing bracelet

By Dave Wielenga, Special to SI.com

Remember the story of the college softball player who hit the game-winning homer and blew out her knee as she trotted around first base, but was carried to second, third and home by opposing players -- even though she represented the decisive run in a game that determined the championship?

This is not that story.

This is the story of a high school pole vaulter whose successful leap in the last event won the meet and the league championship for her team -- until an opposing coach pointed out she should be disqualified for breaking a rule, reversing the outcome so that his team captured victory and the league title.

The girl's infraction? Wearing a friendship bracelet.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/high...2#ixzz0nefQSEVN

Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Edited by rajncajn

Is there more to this story that I am missing? Why would a friendship bracelet be outlawed at a sporting event? I could see bandanas or something that could be interpretted to have gang affiliation or something, but a bracelet?? :wacko:

ETA: I just read the full article and get the rule now but still... :tup:

Edited by Delicious_bass

Is there more to this story that I am missing? Why would a friendship bracelet be outlawed at a sporting event? I could see bandanas or something that could be interpretted to have gang affiliation or something, but a bracelet?? :wacko:

Yeah, he omitted the rule...

The rule in this case -- Section 3, Article 3 of the National Federation of State High School Associations -- is clear: "Jewelry shall not be worn by contestants." So is the penalty, and in the time it takes to read "the competitor is disqualified from the event,"

Click the link for the whole story.

Laird walked back to the top of the runway, gained her composure, then took off again. This time everything was in sync. She planted the pole, lifted herself into the air and soared easily over the bar to give her team a 66-61 victory. While half the crowd cheered and the other half groaned, Monrovia coach Mike Knowles reacted by pointing to his wrist and gesturing toward Laird, who was wearing a thin, colorful string bracelet.

"This is my 30th year coaching track," Knowles said a few days later. "I know a lot of rules and regulations."

The rule in this case -- Section 3, Article 3 of the National Federation of State High School Associations -- is clear: "Jewelry shall not be worn by contestants." So is the penalty, and in the time it takes to read "the competitor is disqualified from the event," South Pasadena's win was transformed into a 65-62 victory for Monrovia.

Edited by rajncajn

She was wearing a green bracelet, which means she has been "friends" with between 21-30 boys. The team only allows 10 or less (yellow bracelet).

I htink she needs to spend 8 minutes, alone, in a room with me for that infraction. Believe me, she'll never make that mistake again.

Rules are rules... Sucks to lose that way...

Agreed... However, I don't think I could be such a prick as to invoke the rule & win on a technicality. Furthermore, if I were one of the athletes on the opposing team I would never feel like I deserved the win.

Agreed... However, I don't think I could be such a prick as to invoke the rule & win on a technicality. Furthermore, if I were one of the athletes on the opposing team I would never feel like I deserved the win.

+1

I'd feel a lot better about a second place that I earned than a 1st that I didnt. I think both teams lost in this story...

That is the thing about track and field, I don't think there are officials that look for certain things like this... Yes it seems like a "childish" thing to do calling it to the attention of officials, but the kids will know whom actually won the state title even though it will say in the record books differently...

But in basketball here in Virginia for example, the officials look for rubber bands, bracelets, necklaces, earrings, etc and if any player has it on, they are told to remove it immediately...

Is a piece of string really considered jewelry... Come on, tell me this, you get your wife a string bracelet for christmas and ask her "honey, what are you so upset about, you said you wanted jewelry for christmas" You think she is gonna say, "yes dear you'r right, I LOVE this fine string bracelet you bought for me." Or is she gonna look at you and say, "DUDE, IT'S A Penny LaneING PIECE OF GODDAMN STRING, IT DOESN"T Penny LaneING COUNT AS JEWELRY!!!!! You better get your ass back to the Penny Laneing store and get me a real bracelet or you get no sex until next christmas when you buy me a Penny Laneing diamond tennis bracelt!!!"

Opposing coach is dick--no other way around it.

Kinda like the professors in college that tried to fail me for missing class when they had no attendance policy. Man, the head of our department got sick of seeing me walk into her office with syllabus in hand at the end of the quarter...

That is the thing about track and field, I don't think there are officials that look for certain things like this... Yes it seems like a "childish" thing to do calling it to the attention of officials, but the kids will know whom actually won the state title even though it will say in the record books differently...

But in basketball here in Virginia for example, the officials look for rubber bands, bracelets, necklaces, earrings, etc and if any player has it on, they are told to remove it immediately...

That's how it should work. Have the official look for them and have them removed before the athlete competes. If the coach wants to point it out ahead of time fine. But for the results to be reversed after the competition is over is really lame.

That's how it should work. Have the official look for them and have them removed before the athlete competes. If the coach wants to point it out ahead of time fine. But for the results to be reversed after the competition is over is really lame.

absolutely. and that opposing coach is a total prick, may his porch be littered with bags of flaming dog schit.

good call, but...a little different in that:

1) that was major league baseball, this is high school sports -- the stakes are higher and I think that makes a big difference

2) arguably, the pine tar can actually help get the ball out, or at the very least change how the ball comes off the bat. the friendship bracelet can't affect performance in any way.

+1

I'd feel a lot better about a second place that I earned than a 1st that I didnt. I think both teams lost in this story...

Opposing coach is dick--no other way around it.

What a dooosh...but I can understand why he did it. The bracelet gave her an unfair advantage & allowed her to run faster and jump higher. :wacko: