[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Top 100 songs of all time

DMD

I know I'm about to crap on the bible, but "Gimme Shelter" (which he has at #6), has 2 of the most uninspired guitar solos Keith Richards (or anyone for that matter) ever recorded. They're not technically interesting, they don't build upon themselves or rise to any kind of musical climaxes, they just meander around the blues scale for a while and then go away. All I can think after hearing that song is "meh. . ."

Listen to them. . .if those solos were played by your local bar band you'd be thoroughly unimpressed, but if it's the ROLLING STONES. . .AMAZING.

OK, just finished browsing the whole list (I started at the bottom).

This dude needs to turn off the classic rock station once in a while and widen his musical horizons.

I know I'm about to crap on the bible, but "Gimme Shelter" (which he has at #6), has 2 of the most uninspired guitar solos Keith Richards (or anyone for that matter) ever recorded. They're not technically interesting, they don't build upon themselves or rise to any kind of musical climaxes, they just meander around the blues scale for a while and then go away. All I can think after hearing that song is "meh. . ."

Listen to them. . .if those solos were played by your local bar band you'd be thoroughly unimpressed, but if it's the ROLLING STONES. . .AMAZING.

Heretic.

It's startling to think that "Free Fallin'" was one of the first songs on this list that I heard, and I first heard it about three years ago. It's hard to believe that I could have become so knowledgable about all of these songs in just three years.

whisky tango foxtrot

I'm probably the only person in the world that detests Layla. I just find it completely uninspired. How he has it at #1 is beyond me. Otherwise, this is a pretty neat list with some good write-ups.

Heretic.

whisky tango foxtrot

Werd.

That is about as bad a list as you can make and still manage to include some good songs. Essentially, it's a list of all the obvious choices with the obligatory head scratchers. Only, the head scratchers aren't "Wow, I never thought of that, but, you know, that's a pretty effing cool song." No, they're head scratchers as in "Are you freaking kidding me?"

And +1 to the notion that the list needs to be retitled because there are far too many genres that are completely ignored.

Oh, and here's another nugget

At nearly nine minutes in length, "November Rain" is deservedly considered one of music's great epics.

It is the guy's personal list. All lists like this are subjective and have to do with what a person likes and dislikes. He also states that he pretty much ignores anything before 1963. To me his mistake is calling it a "rock and roll" list when it is obviously a "rock" list since rock and roll was pretty much a thing of the past by 1963.

It seems to be an okay list for his purposes. Probably help someone out that was born 15 years ago and wants to sample the years he covers.

While I consider Layla an absolute classic.... I have grave doubts that it is the "greatest" of all time.

It's his opinion. He is allowed. We are Huddlers and we tear into stuff like this like a dog worrying a bone.... we are allowed. :wacko:

It is the guy's personal list. All lists like this are subjective and have to do with what a person likes and dislikes.

<snip>

It's his opinion. He is allowed.

Indeed. I had a look at his 200 song list and he's obviously done a hugh amount of work. Still, I was really unimpressed with his justification of theft:

A question you might want to ask me is how in the world I actually became familiar with all of these songs. First of all, I have looked at other lists to get ideas of what to listen to. I highly recommend checking out Rolling Stone's lists or Digital Dream Door's lists. Once I found these songs, I used a peer-to-peer program called Gnucleus to download and listen to them all. I feel I must express my thoughts on this so-called "illegal" downloading everyone my age is "guilty" of. You can ask anyone my age if they have ever downloaded music without paying for it, and most of them will tell you they have. I guarantee you most of them will say they don't feel bad about doing it, because I certainly don't.

You see, I created this list as an act of defiance against the control Corporate America has over the entertainment industry. As a film major, it angers me to no end that Hollywood isn't concerned with the quality of movies, but rather how much money they make. They love to make Saw III, Click, Scary Movie 4, and others like it that get slammed by critics but make money just the same. Just because these movies do well, they make millions more just like them and most of them fail because they aren't any good. The problem is that Hollywood starts blaming the failure of movies on piracy and run ad after ad about how movies are made by thousands of people. Please. Those people get paid out of the production budget and will get the same salary no matter how well the movie does. Here's a tip: if you want to make money, make good movies. It's the same thing with the music industry. Make good music and you would have much less of a problem.

I am willing to buy music, and I have done so a fair amount over the years. But just like any other sane person, I only want to buy something worth buying. The internet is a wonderful device. We can communicate with each other and access information in ways we never have before. Hopefully we will all figure out what good music really is, and then we will be able to tell all of the MBA-certified corporate executives what we really should be listening to.

Pompous little tit. "I created this list as an act of defiance against the control Corporate America has over the entertainment industry" should read "I stole all these songs because I'm a thieving little twat". How does he reconcile creating a top 100 list, almost all of which he stole and then say he steals because the music made available is crap?

Indeed. I had a look at his 200 song list and he's obviously done a hugh amount of work. Still, I was really unimpressed with his justification of theft:

Pompous little tit. "I created this list as an act of defiance against the control Corporate America has over the entertainment industry" should read "I stole all these songs because I'm a thieving little twat". How does he reconcile creating a top 100 list, almost all of which he stole and then say he steals because the music made available is crap?

Saying nothing of the fact that there is, in fact, plenty of great music getting made right now and plenty of it is reasonably popular. Now, unlike before, the biggest bands aren't these groups, but it's still not like you have to go to tiny venues to see anything good. And let's also not pretend that mainstream, crappy music is some advent of the 80s and 90s. There's been no shortage of dreck before. Hell, the Beatles rescued us from a pretty shabby period as well. Of course, like now, there was good music being made in the early 60s, but there was a glut of industry-driven crap as well.

So, for some wank to get turned on to classic rock a few years ago and then go on to say that era was basically the only good era in music is lame on a multitude of levels. And yes, it's just his opinion, but if you're going to put out a list like this, you'd better be ready to back it up. And maybe someone with as little experience with music as this guy obviously has, should leave the lists to those who know what the hell they're talking about. Hell, I don't consider myself nearly enough of an expert on music to bother posting such a list and it appears I've forgotten more than this guy will ever know.