[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

You Cut - Voting on budget cuts

Perchoutofwater

If you want 15% across the board, why are you touting a site that clearly is trying to whip up fervor among those that really have no concept of scale? The items listed are pfffft - worthless in the greater scheme and, further, would take valuable time and attention away from addressing the things that really need to be done.

What I want, and what I can reasonably expect to get are two different things. I'd like go get paid cost plus 25% on ever job I do, but I can't reasonably expect that, so I take what I can get. The libs are still in control of congress, and an ultra liberal still sits in the Whitehouse. I'll take what I can get when I can get it. The only way we will ever see a 15% across the board cut in federal spending is if we have 60 conservative votes in the senate, and everyone of them had brass balls. Then we would still need a conservative president to sign the budget. These cuts are significantly larger than the $100 Million cuts Obama asked his cabinet for which so many on the left (probably you included) applauded.

here is the budget in one picture

yeah, nickel-and-diming the 23% in the lower-right quadrant isn't really going to do much for you in the big-picture. you absolutely MUST start taking a hatchet to the red blocks at some point.

and since we're on the subject, that whole "road map" put forward by paul ryan & co. deals with the "big picture" problem far more truthfully and realistically than anything being offered by the administration or democratic leadership, who are doing absolutely nothing except pouring gas on the fire, piling up more and more spending obligations.

I suppose it would be futile to suggest that an additional way to lower the deficit would be to raise taxes... right?

oh there's going to be plenty of that to go around. if only some of the pols were honest about that, rather than promising a "net spending cut" and tax cuts for (almost) all!

here is the budget in one picture

yeah, nickel-and-diming the 23% in the lower-right quadrant isn't really going to do much for you in the big-picture. you absolutely MUST start taking a hatchet to the red blocks at some point.

and since we're on the subject, that whole "road map" put forward by paul ryan & co. deals with the "big picture" problem far more truthfully and realistically than anything being offered by the administration or democratic leadership, who are doing absolutely nothing except pouring gas on the fire, piling up more and more spending obligations.

:wacko: Az . . you attack the health care bill and the CBO projection as being intellectually dishonest, yet you tout Paul Ryans roadmap (which has some great points to make) but equally is dishonest by calling for wholesale changes in the US tax code for it to be even remotely feasible. Psst . . that is even more unlikely than the health care bill having zero additional changes during implementation. Also the Roadmap requires every provision to be enacted at the same time without change for it to work.

Bottom line is it will NEVER pass "as is", which is a prerequisite for it to work, and there is ZERO chance it will pass. Hell, a lot of REPUBLICANS dont support it, let alone every Democrat. Good ideas, but considering it will never pass, it is a skillful tactic oh his part to issue a proposal that will never get passed, but he gets the credit for "trying"

"realistic" has NOTHING to do with that proposal.

that being said, every cut is a good cut, even though it is the financial equivalent of stage magic "Look at all the fancy sleight of hand here, while I steal your wallet with the other hand . . ."

:wacko: Az . . you attack the health care bill and the CBO projection as being intellectually dishonest, yet you tout Paul Ryans roadmap (which has some great points to make) but equally is dishonest by calling for wholesale changes in the US tax code for it to be even remotely feasible. Psst . . that is even more unlikely than the health care bill having zero additional changes during implementation. Also the Roadmap requires every provision to be enacted at the same time without change for it to work.

Bottom line is it will NEVER pass "as is", which is a prerequisite for it to work, and there is ZERO chance it will pass. Hell, a lot of REPUBLICANS dont support it, let alone every Democrat. Good ideas, but considering it will never pass, it is a skillful tactic oh his part to issue a proposal that will never get passed, but he gets the credit for "trying"

"realistic" has NOTHING to do with that proposal.

that being said, every cut is a good cut, even though it is the financial equivalent of stage magic "Look at all the fancy sleight of hand here, while I steal your wallet with the other hand . . ."

well the main thing is he addresses the massive budget shortfalls coming with our entitlement commitments, which a lot more than you can say for obama or anyone else right now. are the cuts he proposes realistic? well, I have to hope they are at some point. only other option is we eventually go the way of greece.

is this really the line you guys want to go with here? "any cuts you guys are proposing are unrealistic or inconsequential, so let's just keep spending more and more, cutting nothing, and see how that works out for us down the road."

well the main thing is he addresses the massive budget shortfalls coming with our entitlement commitments, which a lot more than you can say for obama or anyone else right now. are the cuts he proposes realistic? well, I have to hope they are at some point. only other option is we eventually go the way of greece.

is this really the line you guys want to go with here? "any cuts you guys are proposing are unrealistic or inconsequential, so let's just keep spending more and more, cutting nothing, and see how that works out for us down the road."

You misunderstand me. (as well as not reading the end of my post very clearly)

The point is that the roadmap is nothing more than another pandering sop to the masses. It wont happen . . ever. It is just another example of how politicians care more about covering their own ass to stay in office by "doing" something like this when he knows damn well that 1.) it wont be passed and 2.) it is just as unrealistic as the health care bill is.

same crap, different party. It all smells the same, Good for Ryan for attacking programs (even though he is RIGHT on most of them)!! Not just try to get that passed :wacko:

It doesnt mean just order the fish for goodness sake until something is done about it, and Ryan doesnt even have his own party on board . . .

{dmarc} we are all frucked{dmarc}

I wonder if this was an attempt to stick it to the right-wing Christian politicians. If they vote in favor of the revolution, they might get in trouble by anti-alcohol Christians; if they vote against the regulation, then they have just shown "Joe six-pack" that they don't share his values.

Although my guess is that the dems weren't smart enough to come up with such a brilliant plan as this.

I suppose it would be futile to suggest that an additional way to lower the deficit would be to raise taxes... right?

I've said all along, that I'm in favor of across the board tax increases directly proportional to across the board budget cuts until such time as our debt is paid, then you can increase spending by half as much as you cut taxes and have a balanced budget. It's not so much that we just don't want to pay taxes, we don't want to pay taxes so that our money can be redistributed.