[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Which laptop should I get?

wiegie

My old laptop just died and my work is giving me the following two options. Which way should I go?

MacBook Pro 13-inch, aluminum

2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB

250GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm

Superdrive 8x (DVD+R DVD&+RW/CD-RW)

AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth

MSOffice MAC

Laptop Carrying Case

OR

Latitude E4310, Intel Core 2 Duo SP9600 2.53GHz

Windows 7 Enterprise

13.3" Premium WXGA screen

Memory 4.0GB, DDR3-1066 SDRAM

Hard Drives 250GB Hard Drive 7200RPM

65W AC Power Adapter

Wireless Network Card (a/g/n)

DVD+/-RW

6 Cell Primary Battery

Carrying Case

Bluetooth

4 Year Warranty and Complete Care (Accidental Damage)

Microsoft Office 2007

I've never had a Mac, so I am leaning towards the Dell. Thoughts?

Do yourself a favor and try the Mac. The interface is a bit different, especially the touch pad. The pad and mouse are not quite the same way they are in the Windows/Linux world. You'll either like it or hate it. The interface seems a bit simpler than Windows and that may be a good or a bad thing. At this point, it is a completely personal decision. There aren't intrinsic performance differences between the machines. Macs used to be terrible performers compared to their Intel counterparts, but now that they run on Intel hardware that is a non-issue.

Do yourself a favor and try the Mac. The interface is a bit different, especially the touch pad. The pad and mouse are not quite the same way they are in the Windows/Linux world. You'll either like it or hate it. The interface seems a bit simpler than Windows and that may be a good or a bad thing. At this point, it is a completely personal decision.

ok, then I will probably stick with the Dell--I would hate to get stuck with something I hate for the next 3-4 years. (I am very comfortable with the Dell touch pad, so it seems like it might not be wise to change things around.)

Thank you for all of your considerations.

well for equal specs like that, the mac probably costs twice as much. so if you just want to maximize how much they have to spend on you, go for the mac. if you have any consideration of value compared against price to your employer, then go with the dell.

That is what I figured too. I was surprised to see a Mac was even an option.

I am definitely going will the Dell since my IT department said they would spring the extra $50 to get me a back-lit keyboard (which actually is going to be worth it in terms of my productivity since I do about 75% of my work after my wife and kids go to sleep).

As for me trying not to spend taxpayer money--I LITERALLY used duct-tape on my old laptop for the last two weeks to hold the screen at a steady angle since the hinge was completely loose. I would have continued with this "fix" as long as necessary except that my motherboard gave out on Monday night. Despite what you might think, not all government employees try to blow money unnecessarily.

One thing I need to consider is that my home laptop is a PC as are the computers of all of my co-authors--for these reasons alone I might have to stick with the Dell.

I have both linux and vista on this machine and use the programs interchangeably

That is what I figured too. I was surprised to see a Mac was even an option.

I am definitely going will the Dell since my IT department said they would spring the extra $50 to get me a back-lit keyboard (which actually is going to be worth it in terms of my productivity since I do about 75% of my work after my wife and kids go to sleep).

As for me trying not to spend taxpayer money--I LITERALLY used duct-tape on my old laptop for the last two weeks to hold the screen at a steady angle since the hinge was completely loose. I would have continued with this "fix" as long as necessary except that my motherboard gave out on Monday night. Despite what you might think, not all government employees try to blow money unnecessarily.

All mac laptops have a back-lit keyboard.

If I were you I would make my way to an apple store, check out the product and talk to the folks there before making the decision based on only having half of the information.

Seriously...buying a PC might be the better choice, but then it might not be.

All of your co-workers use a PC....but are the documents you are referring to MS Office documents? Cross platform compatible.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

I never had a mac til I got my wife a mini a couple of years ago. I really liked it at first because it's very stable but there are a few things that are different that I had gotten used to with a PC over the years that still drive me crazy.

From my perspective Windows 7 solved all my previous issues with PC stability and I can still use all the shortcuts I am used to.

I'm sure Macs are ok, but if you aren't familiar with them, what's the point in learning one now? I can usually get about anything to work on my PC and at this point I don't think I'd pick up a Mac just to see if I want to learn something new.

Do you plan on spending a lot of time at Starbucks?

not really, but I'm thinking my Obama '12 bumper sticker will look better on a Mac. :wacko:

I would stick with the Dell, it will save you money and you won't have to worry about learning anything new. Plus for some crazy reason I am still holding Dell stock trying to get back to even!!

You will be happy to learn that I have made you wealthier today (by an infinitesimally small amount).

ok, then I will probably stick with the Dell--I would hate to get stuck with something I hate for the next 3-4 years. (I am very comfortable with the Dell touch pad, so it seems like it might not be wise to change things around.)

Thank you for all of your considerations.

See, I love the Mac touchpad and cannot stand using a mouse anymore. I would recommend the 15" over the 13" macbook because the extra real-estate is well worth it.

I literally just bought a mac book today and am a fan....the only problem is I bought the bluetooth mouse with it for 69.99 and hate it, but I may find use for it on my PS3....

anyways, buy a mac.....

Edited by Avernus

I literally just bought a mac book today and am a fan....the only problem is I bought the bluetooth mouse with it for 69.99 and hate it, but I may find use for it on my PS3....

anyways, buy a mac.....

:wacko:

You hate that mouse? Everyone I have given one to at my company loves it!

:wacko:

You hate that mouse? Everyone I have given one to at my company loves it!

yeah, I feel like I'm all thumbs with it and so does anyone else who uses it....the touch pad is much easier to use...

plus I prefer something with a wheel so scrolling is easier..

yeah, I feel like I'm all thumbs with it and so does anyone else who uses it....the touch pad is much easier to use...

plus I prefer something with a wheel so scrolling is easier..

You know it scrolls just by running your finger down the surface, right? And that you can program all the clicks in the mouse control panel? and that it supports other multi-touch gestures?

You know it scrolls just by running your finger down the surface, right? And that you can program all the clicks in the mouse control panel? and that it supports other multi-touch gestures?

the surface of the mouse?.....I actually tried it and nothing happened...