[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Quick home improvement question...

Hugh 0ne

So, my bro-in-law is pretty much useless around the house, so I pretty much help him quite often. He had an upstairs bathroom overflow, and now the drywall on the ceiling of the kitchen under the bathroom got wet. Correct me if I'm wrong, but leaving it and re-painting it is not a good idea, right? I need to cut out the wet section and replace it, correct? Because the wet drywall will weaken, not to mention the possible mold issues. Am I on the money here? TIA. :wacko:

Was it water or was it $hit water? How long was it wet? Just because drywall gets wet does not mean that it is going to mold.

Just water. It's still moist, this happened 24 hours ago or so. I guess it will dry out eventually.

If it didn't get too wet you could let it dry(or speed up the process and dry it yourself) prime it, paint it and just wait and see how it turns out. If it got a fair amount of soaking in you will need to cut out the wet spot and replace it.

If it didn't get too wet you could let it dry(or speed up the process and dry it yourself) prime it, paint it and just wait and see how it turns out. If it got a fair amount of soaking in you will need to cut out the wet spot and replace it.

+1

My upstairs neighbor in my old condo had an overflow issue once that soaked the ceiling. After it dried I primed and painted and had no issues. Unless it starts to sag if it dries out it will probably be fine.

It can dry and could be fine. The best thing to do is get some air on it right away to help the drying process. If there is anyway to get above it do the same in that space. Getting wet does not automaticly mean mold. If it is a dry enviroment then the chances of mold are greatly reduced. Don't jump right to the "gotta tear it out" conclusion. I have had a wet ceiling a bunch ot times while raising three kids and never ever have I had a problem.

Edited by Skippy

Probably depends on the amount of water we're talking about. It'll be fine unless the tape got wet. That'll crinkle up on you and look like crap when it dries. No amount of paint covers it up. At least that's what happened in our previous house, which didn't get very wet.