[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Israel

SEC=UGA

I'm kinda suprised that there hasn't been a post on this yet. For those that don't know, a flotila was attempting to break the blockade that Israel has on the Gaza ports in an attempt to delivery "humanitarian aid" to the people in Gaza. While the flotila was in international waters Israel decide to launch a preemptive strike against the boats. On one of the ship, the Mavi Marmara (Blue Marmara), Isreali soldiers stated that they were attacked and in the ensuing melee the Israeli army killed 9 people on board the boat.

I have typically been in favor of the Israeli military enforcing this blockade and in the past, though they have intercepted, and nearly sank ships, we have never seen any action escalted to this level of boarding shups in international water and people being killed.

In this case I think that Isreal needs to be roundly criticized and have some steps taken to ensure that they don't "go rogue" like this again. And, I think that the US needs to make it abundantly clear that such actions in international waters are akin to piracy on the seas.

It seems to me that Isreal had other options to halt this flotila, knocking out engines, for example, but by boardin these ships in the manner in which they did was a bit of overkill.

Thoughts?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you knock out their engines yet insure you don't sink the ship thus killing more people? BTW based on the first reports coming out, I too thought Israel should be harshly criticized, but the more that comes out I'm not so sure. I'll reserve my judgment until know more about the situation.

Nobody wants to talk about this cuz its the same old crap. My initial reaction was that Israel screwed up big time. I haven't looked into it much but it is my understanding that Israel has siezed aid shipments in the past. They have not been working in good faith in this situation. I felt no sympathy for them when I saw them being attacked. Sorry, these people might be funded by terrorists, but the terrorist label can be applied to every country in the middle east. Everybody is culpable.

When they searched the ship and found only childrens toys and staple items, my position was only strengthened.

If Israel feels threatened by anybody, they are gonna act on it with or without our blessing. Whether it's attacking a ship in international waters or launching air strikes against their neighbors, they pretty much do what they feel is their right to protect their country. Personally I think they are a bit trigger happy, but I don't live there and really don't know what it's like to live in a country surrounded by people that hate you and wish nothing more but your total annihilation.

I think we have enough of our own problems to really worry about what Israel is doing right now.

I wish we could stop sending them billions in aid. They should be self-sufficient by now.

Palestinians have been treated like cattle for over 50 years in Israel and Israeli's are getting out of control due to the Zionist group in control ...

watch this video clip which is part of the Occupation 101 documentary where an American was deliberately run over by a tractor aiming to push Palestinians out of the way ....but the clip below is a part before that..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWdwkmLIDfg

Palestinians have been treated like cattle for over 50 years in Israel and Israeli's are getting out of control due to the Zionist group in control ...

watch this video clip which is part of the Occupation 101 documentary where an American was deliberately run over by a tractor aiming to push Palestinians out of the way ....but the clip below is a part before that..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWdwkmLIDfg

They popped a girl in the skull with a gas grenade the other day, some loud mouth protesting college student from MD, she lost her eyeball and is still in the hospital.

They popped a girl in the skull with a gas grenade the other day, some loud mouth protesting college student from MD, she lost her eyeball and is still in the hospital.

so a girl gets popped in the eye with a gas grenade and she's a "loud mouth"? :wacko:

so a girl gets popped in the eye with a gas grenade and she's a "loud mouth"? :wacko:

Why else would they shoot a gas grenade at her?

I'd love to cut all funding to Israel and just let them and the Panastinians fight it out (that is to say - more officially then they are doing now)

Here's the problem though - the arab oil money would keep funding the rest. :wacko: I heard it put pretty well once - if the arabs quit fighting there'd be no war. If the jews quit fighting there'd be no israel.

Here's the problem though - the arab oil money would keep funding the rest. :wacko: I heard it put pretty well once - if the arabs quit fighting there'd be no war. If the jews quit fighting there'd be no israel.

that quote is a joke more than the reality of things...

Palestinians don't even fight them, they just get massacred...

Except Israel has shown itself to be more than a match against the massed ragtag rubbish of the combined Arab states, kicking their collective ass over and over again.

Except Israel has shown itself to be more than a match against the massed ragtag rubbish of the combined Arab states, kicking their collective ass over and over again.

If it weren't for US involvement Israel would have wiped out Palestine years ago. The problem comes when the rest of the Arab nations gang up on Israel. Not sure if it's our problem, but it is definitely theirs.

The problem comes when the rest of the Arab nations gang up on Israel. Not sure if it's our problem, but it is definitely theirs.

No, it really isn't. In 1967 Jordan, Syria and Egypt all working together and all bordering Israel were hammered and it took the Israelis just six days to send the whole lot of them packing and annex areas about three times bigger than their own country.

In 1973 Egypt and Syria launched surprise attacks and were utterly routed, with the Israelis ending up only a few miles from both Damascus and Cairo.

Arabs haven't put together a disciplined fighting army in nearly a millennium. Militarily they are completely worthless in comparison. Even if every single one of them attacked Israel simultaneously, they'd be shredded in a week.

Edited by Ursa Majoris