[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Griffey Done

bushwacked

one of the all-time greats and the best CF since Willie Mays

he did it the right way and if not for the injuries would of had 700+ HR's

sad day for Seattle Mariner fans

well said. Saddens me that those injuries kept a class act doing it old school from truly breaking the HR mark. Griffey had one of the sweetest swings in baseball. Ive said it before but back in the day Seattle had a murderous line up. They sort of remind me of the Knicks during the Jordan days. The knicks would have probably cashed in on some titles but had the monster of Jordan and the bulls in the way. The Mariners were great during the ridiculously good Yankee Era. Griffey, Edgar, Buehner, Arod, The Unit . Fun team to watch.

retire with your head up high Griff. You did it the way it should be done

Anyone want to buy my '89 Upper Deck Griffey card :wacko:

I picked up a Jerome Walton rookie card instead of the Griffey one back in '89. :tup: I ended up just buying the whole Upper Deck set some years later.

I was at the game Wednesday night with my grandson when he announced his retirement and there was a weird feeling in the stadium. Felt kind of like a death in the family. Watching the many tributes to him that night on the big screen it was a great reminder of what an amazing and special player he was.

Defensively he was the best. He could go get balls that nobody else could, including Willie Mays. In his first at bat in the Bigs, as a 19 year old he takes the first pitch and drives it over the fence with a swing as sweet as another Seattle native, Freddy Couples. Who will ever forget him and his Dad running out on to the field together as they started in the outfield at 39 and 19 years old. Amazing career Ken. Thanks for the memories!!

Edited by theprofessor

There are a bunch of HOF voters that categorically refuse to vote for guys their first time they appear on the ballot. What could Griffey possibly do between his first year of eligibility and his second year that would then make him worthy of a selection? Those guys should lose their voting privileges immediately. There will never be a unanimous HOF player ever again, even a player that deserves it as much as Junior does.

I was ten years old when Griffey made his debut here in Seattle. Childhood hero is almost an understatement. I don't think I could come close to putting my emotions into words in regards to this guy. Best I've ever seen.