[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

15 year old nephew coming to live with us

paulzale

Paulzale, I would also like to commend you and your wife here. You demonstrate what "family" is all about.

One thing I didnt mention.... chores.

I might suggest something like this: he picks up after himself, he does his own clothes washing, and takes the garbage out. For that he gets minimum allowance. Then, it's work/reward. Wash the car, another 5 bucks. Mow the lawn, another $X. (mowing might be in the mandatory category).

When I was growing up, my best friend's dad used this system. I thought it worked really well. My old man thought I should do all the extra stuff for nothing, other than to help out. Of course, the old man beat me, so I wasn't real inclined to help him any, but that is another story.

I think the work-reward thing is a good idea. Any other opinions on this?

Oh, and geeze.... let him pick out his own clothes when shopping. (not talking $100 Nikes) Kids want to dress the same way other kids do. He'll want to fit in with his new friends, and as silly as it is, things like clothes make a difference. God help you with the rap music though...

We use it at the house, actually. The girls are responsible for their rooms and their shared bathroom. The have a few other responsibilities. They have additional stuff we pay extra for. It works really well. Since they always want a book, a toy, a game, etc., there's no shortage of motivation. It also teaches that there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

If you can also procure a 15 year old female, the two of them will be happy as clams and shouldn't give you too much trouble. Make sure one, or preferably both are fixed and give them a big yard to run around.

Funny to mention that, we are getting a new puppy at the end of the month too since both of our previous dogs passed away last year. It will be good for the human boy to have a puppy to "help" with raising.

The local gov may have laws on certain age of children on how late they can be out.

What if you cannot "control" the child? What are you to do with him?

I was just wondering why a mother would volunteer to leave the country for a year to help when she should be raising her own child. :wacko:

She volunteered for a month in Haiti, she is in the National Guard Reserves and has been called up for active duty, which starts in Oct./Nov. for deployment in Dec. She did choose to go into the Guard, however she did not have a choice in deployment. I don't agree with her signing up for the Guard about 3 years ago, but she got valuable training, monetary bonus and structure in her life. She has very little financial means and it has actually improved her life, however there are some "sacrifices".

She volunteered for a month in Haiti, she is in the National Guard Reserves and has been called up for active duty, which starts in Oct./Nov. for deployment in Dec. She did choose to go into the Guard, however she did not have a choice in deployment. I don't agree with her signing up for the Guard about 3 years ago, but she got valuable training, monetary bonus and structure in her life. She has very little financial means and it has actually improved her life, however there are some "sacrifices".

I totally misread it and was thinking she just volunteered for one year. I apologize. :wacko:

I didn't even know what skinny jeans were until now. :wacko: Yeah, I would not buy him any bras either. Having said that, as much as these things make me cringe, if 75% of the kids at school are wearing them.... the ones with the larger foot holes aren't much different than a tight pair of regular old jeans. I read that they are called drainpipe jeans, like the pants Presley wore in the 50's. When I was a young teenager, my old man made me dress the way he did in 1939, right down to the shoes. It was downright embarrassing. Eventually I got my mom to let me wear what I wanted. Kids can change their clothes and hairstyles.... facial tatoos not so much. Personally, I'd give him freedom in how he dresses, but things like tats... I'd draw the line there. When he's 18, he can do what he wants.

I am cool with flexibility on how he dresses within reason and as long as it is what is considered "normal" by his peers along with not costing too much, but he will be earning money, so he can choose to spend accordingly. Yeah, no permanent alterations to his body until he is 18.

• 4 weeks later...
He moved in this weekend and starts school tomorrow. Getting all his records and him registered for school was a PITA last week, but here we go!

Wow. We don't start school until August 24th, but the year doesn't end until the first week in June. With no A/C in the schools it would be miserable sitting through class in August.

Good luck!