[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What the hell happened?

Bronco Billy

I'm looking back at some guys I'm keeping rostered in dynasty leagues as well as past drafts, and I've caught myself wondering what in the Seven Hells happened with the 2008 class of WRs. While there wasn't a bonafide uber-stud like a Fitz or a Crabtree, there appeared to be a lengthy list of guys who could make a career of being midrange NFL WR1s to upper end WR2s. Looking back at ATAP alone, I drafted Hardy, Sweed, and Malcolm Kelly in the fist 2 rounds. All of them went to places with good opportunities in the 2 to 3 year range, and all appeared to have the necessary skill/physical/mental makeup that would allow for productive NFL careers.

The class seemed so deep that guys like Bennett, Doucet, and Caldwell slipped well down into the 11th to 15th WR off the board, and those guys looked like they had the ability to contribute significantly at the NFL level.

What a major disappointment. Only DeSean Jackson and Pierre Garcon (6th rounder, no less) appear to be ready to step up and move into good FF WR territory.

Name	Pos	Ht	Wt	College	Pick	Team[+]	Arrington, Adrian	WR	6'3"	203	Michigan	Pick 30, Round 7(237)	New Orleans Saints[+]	Avery, Donnie	WR	5'11"	186	Houston	Pick 2, Round 2(33)	St. Louis Rams[+]	Bennett, Earl	WR	6'0"	209	Vanderbilt	Pick 7, Round 3(70)	Chicago Bears[+]	Burton, Keenan	WR	6'1"	200	Kentucky	Pick 29, Round 4(128)	St. Louis Rams[+]	Caldwell, Andre	WR	6'1"	200	Florida	Pick 34, Round 3(97)	Cincinnati Bengals[+]	Doucet, Early	WR	6'0"	212	LSU	Pick 18, Round 3(81)	Arizona Cardinals[+]	Douglas, Harry	WR	5'11"	176	Louisville	Pick 21, Round 3(84)	Atlanta Falcons[+]	Franklin, Will	WR	6'1"	214	Missouri	Pick 6, Round 4(105)	Kansas City Chiefs[+]	Garcon, Pierre	WR	6'0"	210	Mount Union	Pick 39, Round 6(205)	Indianapolis Colts[+]	Hardy, James	WR	6'6"	220	Indiana	Pick 10, Round 2(41)	Buffalo Bills[+]	Harper, Justin	WR	6'4"	198	Virginia Tech	Pick 8, Round 7(215)	Baltimore Ravens[+]	Hawkins, Lavelle	WR	5'11"	187	California	Pick 27, Round 4(126)	Tennessee Titans[+]	Henry, Marcus	WR	6'4"	207	Kansas	Pick 5, Round 6(171)	New York Jets[+]	Hubbard, Paul	WR	6'3"	221	Wisconsin	Pick 25, Round 6(191)	Cleveland Browns[+]	Jackson, DeSean	WR	6'0"	178	California	Pick 18, Round 2(49)	Philadelphia Eagles[+]	Jackson, Dexter	WR	5'10"	182	Appalachian State	Pick 27, Round 2(58)	Tampa Bay Buccaneers[+]	Johnson, Jaymar	WR	6'0"	176	Jackson State	Pick 27, Round 6(193)	Minnesota Vikings[+]	Johnson, Steve	WR	6'2"	210	Kentucky	Pick 17, Round 7(224)	Buffalo Bills[+]	Kelly, Malcolm	WR	6'4"	218	Oklahoma	Pick 20, Round 2(51)	Washington Redskins[+]	Manningham, Mario	WR	6'0"	181	Michigan	Pick 32, Round 3(95)	New York Giants[+]	Monk, Marcus	WR	6'4"	222	Arkansas	Pick 41, Round 7(248)	Chicago Bears[+]	Moore, Kenneth	WR	5'11"	195	Wake Forest	Pick 1, Round 5(136)	Detroit Lions[+]	Morgan, Josh	WR	6'0"	219	Virginia Tech	Pick 8, Round 6(174)	San Francisco 49ers[+]	Nelson, Jordy	WR	6'3"	217	Kansas State	Pick 5, Round 2(36)	Green Bay Packers[+]	Robinson, Kevin	WR	6'0"	190	Utah State	Pick 16, Round 6(182)	Kansas City Chiefs[+]	Royal, Eddie	WR	5'10"	184	Virginia Tech	Pick 11, Round 2(42)	Denver Broncos[+]	Schilens, Chaz	WR	6'4"	208	San Diego State	Pick 19, Round 7(226)	Oakland Raiders[+]	Shields, Arman	WR	6'1"	194	Richmond	Pick 26, Round 4(125)	Oakland Raiders[+]	Simpson, Jerome	WR	6'2"	190	Coastal Carolina	Pick 15, Round 2(46)	Cincinnati Bengals[+]	Slater, Matt	WR	5'11"	195	UCLA	Pick 18, Round 5(153)	New England Patriots[+]	Smith, Marcus	WR	6'2"	221	New Mexico	Pick 7, Round 4(106)	Baltimore Ravens[+]	Swain, Brett	WR	6'0"	200	San Diego State	Pick 10, Round 7(217)	Green Bay Packers[+]	Sweed, Limas	WR	6'4"	212	Texas	Pick 22, Round 2(53)	Pittsburgh Steelers[+]	Thomas, Devin	WR	6'2"	215	Michigan State	Pick 3, Round 2(34)	Washington Redskins[+]	Urrutia, Mario	WR	6'6"	232	Louisville	Pick 39, Round 7(246)	Cincinnati Bengals

Players who have contributed:

Desean Jackson

Eddie Royal*

*One of two seasons. Hopefully not Michael Clayton II

Players that have a chance to make an impact this year:

Donnie Avery

Earl Bennett

Keenan Burton

Early Doucet

Pierre Garcon

Steve Johnson

Malcolm Kelly

Mario Manningham

Josh Morgan

Jordy Nelson

Chaz Schillenz

Devin Thomas

I think the jury is still out on most of this group, but a verdict will be in by the end of the season.

Players held back by depth chart, but have been pretty good in limited opportunity:

Andre Caldwell (Let's face it, he's not going to start over Ocho Cinco, TO or Bryant)

Appear to have Busted Out:

James Hardy

Limas Sweed

Jerome Simpson

Very interesting stuff. I was licking my chops drafting Hardy AND Sweed on my dynasty teams and they have down jack diaper dirt for me. Hoping Hardy can do something but not that optimistic after seeing the first depth chart of the Bills.

I'm still up on Sweed if he can ever get past his depression. He's just built for excellence if he can ever pull his head out of his butt!

I'm still up on Sweed if he can ever get past his depression. He's just built for excellence if he can ever pull his head out of his butt!

I have him stashed on 3 dynasty IRs. I don't remember a pro WR ever being able to get as wide open as he does. If he can get his concentration level back up and he recovers in good condition from his injury, I think he can still have a very good career. He sure made some eye-popping catches in college.

Hardy still completely perplexes me. I know some top WRs just go south for various reasons, but his competition in BUF in no way, shape, or form ought to be able to keep him off the field, much less relegate him to 4th string. He has struggled through injuries, but this guy needs to get his head turned around or he's headed for the AFL in another year or two.

Hardy still completely perplexes me. I know some top WRs just go south for various reasons, but his competition in BUF in no way, shape, or form ought to be able to keep him off the field, much less relegate him to 4th string. He has struggled through injuries, but this guy needs to get his head turned around or he's headed for the AFL in another year or two.

His hands in college were ridiculous.

I swore up and down that Hardy would be a monster...

:wacko:

Harry Douglas could do something this year. The coaches thought him to be a Welker clone and heard they want to use him in the slot.

Evan Moore(now a TE in Cleveland) and Devonne Bess were free agents that year-to add 2 more names.

Edited by Randall