[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So I'm 30 minutes into "Letters from Iwo Jimo"

TimC

Boy, those Japs sure are nice and caring people with lots of good feelings and intentions, aren't they? This movie is a bunch of bull....I'll try to make it through it.

Tell me again why this movie is rated so high? I'm guessing the Honda driving hippies are trying to rewrite history about the reality of the situation.

This isn't saying much, but I thought it was 10 times the movie "Flags of Our Fathers" was. I tried to watch it with an open mind, though (or as much as that is possible). I'm not going to say that the movie made me feel "sorry" for the Japs, or anything close, but I did find it to be an interesting perspective. Regardless, I think it says a lot (at least for me personally) when I can watch an entire subtitled film, and not once even think about the fact that they're not speaking English. Some foreign films are hard to watch, simply due to that factor alone... the ones that are very well done, on the other hand, you don't even notice that you're reading the entire time.

As for "Flags of Our Fathers," the movie was one of the most disappointing films I've seen in the past few years. Maybe that's because I had fairly high hopes going into it... the reviews hadn't been very good, but considering how much I enjoyed the book, I still had decent expectations. The book, on the other hand, is one of the best 2-3 books I have ever read... literally one of those that I couldn't put down (read it in a couple of days). Very few books will I read twice, in their entirety... That one, I am 100% positive I will read again (and probably in the not too distant future).

1:50...well, I knew they'd show the Americans killing an innocent little Jap POW for no reason whatsoever. Those poor Japs were doing nothing in this context but loving their Momma like we do. Hell, Clint Eastwood should've had 'em eating apple pie in those caves while they were waiting for the bad ole Americans to come and torch 'em. I may make a movie called the "Letters of the Battaan Friendly March" where those sweet Japanese are just hanging their swords out of the windows riding down the road and the dumb Americans simply step into them to cut off their own head. And those lazy Americans aren't able to walk further after having the Japanese give them a full meal of meatloaf and mashed potatoes and all the Busch Light they can drink.

Oh, those wacky California schools Clint Eastwood must've endured.

Edited by TimC

This movie was as realisitic as a Toyota Prius pulling up next to me and revving it's engine. And let's assume that Da Vette breaks down right then and there. And for some reason I'm not able to open the door to get out and run faster than the Prius at full throttle. So, I crawl out the window, fall and break my leg and have to crawl while the Prius is running down the road at full throttle. So, I'm crawling and my arm snaps off and all I can do now is roll down the street. A few seconds later, my head snaps off and I've basically just have my dick rolling down the road is all that's left. Sure, it takes my dick 23 seconds to catch that Prius at full throttle for the past few minutes, but I still win. Yeah, it's kinda like that.

...I may make a movie called the "Letters of the Battaan Friendly March" where those sweet Japanese are just hanging their swords out of the windows riding down the road and the dumb Americans simply step into them to cut off their own head....

This post just reminded me of another awesome book. This is an amazing story about a rescue mission of POW's in the Phillipines, some of which were actual survivors of the Bataan Death March. Aother book that I simply couldn't put down until I was finished with it... If you "enjoy" reading about WWII, this is a must-read.

Note: I use the term "enjoy" for lack of a better word... I don't enjoy it, as much as I am interested/intrigued/fascinated by the events that went on during that time period. Plus, the fact that my grandfather served in WWII (in Europe) makes it hit that much closer to home.

This post just reminded me of another awesome book. This is an amazing story about a rescue mission of POW's in the Phillipines, some of which were actual survivors of the Bataan Death March. Aother book that I simply couldn't put down until I was finished with it... If you "enjoy" reading about WWII, this is a must-read.
Read this a while ago. Very good with, as I recall, an eye opening beginning. I believe the movie "The Great Raid" was based on this book.

If you like books on warfare and heroes. Try "Breakout: The Chosin Reservoir Campaign, Korea 1950". Fairly biased (author doesn't seem to think the Army can do anything right, while the Marines can do no wrong), but an amazing story of heroic and courageous men.

Saw "Letters...", but did not read the book. Enjoyed the movie. The sympathetic portrayal of the Japanese low level soldier did not offend me. If you want a portrayal that is much different, but not at the personal level of "Letters from Iwo Jima". You may want to read "The Rape of Nanking". Some of the acts described are difficult to stomach and reflect the Japanese belief that the Chinese were less than people (similar, I suppose, to early America's view of African slaves and Native Americans).

Thanks Gopher and ljbrun...I need some good reading material for my plane ride to Vegas in a couple of weeks. :wacko:
You're welcome. I'll be flying there also, but my reading material will be a study guide for a certification exam I'll be taking on opening Sunday.