[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Songs you hate

driveby

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1

With all due respect, how can you *hate* an entire catalog or genre?

Easy to do when it's Buffett. Seriously, what's there to like? The sappy and/or predictable lyrics and hacked rhymes? The Cheeseball dude with a guitar shtick? Certainly it's not the range.

Though I do agree with the bit about hating on an entire genre. There are genres that I'm not drawn to or even like that much, but it's not like I hate each and every song from it.

Country has always been nails on the chalkboard for me. I can't name one single country song that I like even the slightest bit.

In my single days I asked out a pretty blonde who worked in the office at the apartment complex where I lived. For our first date I wanted to go out to dinner but she got Toby Keith tickets. I only went because I wanted to get in her pants. He came out on stage in a big souped-up pickup truck that opened up like a Transformer, but his jeans were so tight he walked like Herman Munster. His face was red and bloated, like he'd been drinking 3 bottles of whiskey a day for the entire tour. All the songs sounded the same, hokey, twangy, completely inane and pointless. But I screamed and cheered whenever she did and pretended like my eyes had been opened to a new genre of music.

:wacko:

Country has always been nails on the chalkboard for me. I can't name one single country song that I like even the slightest bit.

In my single days I asked out a pretty blonde who worked in the office at the apartment complex where I lived. For our first date I wanted to go out to dinner but she got Toby Keith tickets. I only went because I wanted to get in her pants. He came out on stage in a big souped-up pickup truck that opened up like a Transformer, but his jeans were so tight he walked like Herman Munster. His face was red and bloated, like he'd been drinking 3 bottles of whiskey a day for the entire tour. All the songs sounded the same, hokey, twangy, completely inane and pointless. But I screamed and cheered whenever she did and pretended like my eyes had been opened to a new genre of music.

:wacko: I sure hope you got some

:wacko:

Now, I'm no country fan, but I would imagine that one could be a fan of the genre and still think that dude is a freaking tool. And, as for panning the genre wholesale, I'm going to have a hard time panning any genre that includes Johnny Cash. Just sayin'.

Edited by detlef

Low Rider

My Sherona

Stairway to heaven

Life in the Fast Lane

Clapton

Hotel California

A good bit of the Doors stuff

Fly Like an Eagle

Almost anything from any band founded between 1995 and 2003

Any Country post 92 ish

Now, I'm no country fan, but I would imagine that one could be a fan of the genre and still think that dude is a freaking tool. And, as for panning the genre wholesale, I'm going to have a hard time panning any genre that includes Johnny Cash. Just sayin'.

I've heard many people who can't stand country exempt Johnny Cash. Some say he transcended it.

Easy to do when it's Buffett. Seriously, what's there to like? The sappy and/or predictable lyrics and hacked rhymes? The Cheeseball dude with a guitar shtick? Certainly it's not the range.

Though I do agree with the bit about hating on an entire genre. There are genres that I'm not drawn to or even like that much, but it's not like I hate each and every song from it.

Not to pick nits here but I specifically said hate, loathe, etc.....

I really can't point to a single catalog or genre and say I really hate the whole thing.

I don't like most of the Grateful Dead stuff but I do like Touch of Grey. Buffett I don't care for but I don't hate it. Not a fan of all country but I do like the old stuff by Johnny Cash and Willie and others. And I like some of the new stuff by Roger Creager and Randy Rogers and Kevin Fowler and Corey Morrow for instance.

Now Hotel California and Nights In White Satin I have a visceral hate for and will do whatever it take to not hear those songs.

Not to pick nits here but I specifically said hate, loathe, etc.....

I really can't point to a single catalog or genre and say I really hate the whole thing.

I don't like most of the Grateful Dead stuff but I do like Touch of Grey. Buffett I don't care for but I don't hate it. Not a fan of all country but I do like the old stuff by Johnny Cash and Willie and others. And I like some of the new stuff by Roger Creager and Randy Rogers and Kevin Fowler and Corey Morrow for instance.

Now Hotel California and Nights In White Satin I have a visceral hate for and will do whatever it take to not hear those songs.

That's the thing, I will change the station every time any of Buffett's songs come on. I honestly can't think of a single one that I don't hate. Mind you, they're all pretty much the same stupid song so if you love one, you love 'em all and vice verse.

I've heard many people who can't stand country exempt Johnny Cash. Some say he transcended it.

I would agree with that, I think Cash was an amazing talent. And I'd never say there weren't plenty of very talented country artists, I just can't stand listening to any of them.

I would agree with that, I think Cash was an amazing talent. And I'd never say there weren't plenty of very talented country artists, I just can't stand listening to any of them.

I'm with you. I can listen to Cash but the rest of the "my baby done gone stole my boots and left me, I'm a lonesome cowboy boo hoo" crap makes me puke.

OK, well the thread was a song you hate. Some of us didn't exactly follow the rules by throwing out bands but I will stand by the fact that I do, in fact, hate each and every Jimmy Buffett song I've ever heard. So that counts. But you can't say "country" and then qualify that by saying country except Cash or Willie Nelson, or what have you.

Oh, and props on Billie Don't Be a Hero. Out of left field but a solid choice given the question.

If I have to pick one song, I'll choose this one