[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Deadbeat roofing contractor

SeductiveNun

Backstory: Before my wife and I met, she owned her own home - part of a duplex. Once we got married she moved into my house and we tried to sell hers. Failing that, we ultimately ended up renting it using a property management company.

About a year ago, the other owner of the duplex was getting their roof redone (as was most of the neighborhood) due to hail damage. Since it didn't seem to make sense to only do half the roof, the other owner gave the contractor my wifes contact info and she (my wife) decided it made sense to go ahead and have the roof done, paid for by insurance. The renters were living in the house at that time.

After the winter months, the renters called noticing water damage on the outside wall of the bedroom. It was only in a few places along the wall, but it was noticeable. No other water damage was evident anywhere else along the outside wall of the house. After talking about it, we thought it was probably an ice dam issue that caused water backing up - as she never had problems there with the old roof. We contacted the roofer about the damage in May, and he said he would come out there and repair the roof at no cost to her and - in his words - "make it right".

We tried to arrange it so he could get out there and see the damage himself, but he never contacted the renter so he could go inside to look at the damage. The renter tried on several occasions to contact him with no results. After that my wife tried calling him - leaving him messages, and also emailing him and his website and never got any response. So here we are, almost a year since the work was intially performed, and the roofer has yet to go out to the house and see the water damage first hand, let alone return the myriad of messages and emails asking when he can get out there and fix the roof.

I guess my question is where do we go from here? Although the insurance company compensated my wife for the intial repairs, she was the one who wrote the check to the roofer. Are we better off just saying the heck with him and hiring another roofer to repair the damage (an option neither one of us is excited about), or do we possibly move this to small claims court, or are there other options. Honestly, I haven't had much difficulty with contractors before, either personally or through work, so I'm not sure of the next steps that we should be taking. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

FWIW, my wife's house is in Wisconsin - in case different state laws may apply.

Backstory: Before my wife and I met, she owned her own home - part of a duplex. Once we got married she moved into my house and we tried to sell hers. Failing that, we ultimately ended up renting it using a property management company.

About a year ago, the other owner of the duplex was getting their roof redone (as was most of the neighborhood) due to hail damage. Since it didn't seem to make sense to only do half the roof, the other owner gave the contractor my wifes contact info and she (my wife) decided it made sense to go ahead and have the roof done, paid for by insurance. The renters were living in the house at that time.

After the winter months, the renters called noticing water damage on the outside wall of the bedroom. It was only in a few places along the wall, but it was noticeable. No other water damage was evident anywhere else along the outside wall of the house. After talking about it, we thought it was probably an ice dam issue that caused water backing up - as she never had problems there with the old roof. We contacted the roofer about the damage in May, and he said he would come out there and repair the roof at no cost to her and - in his words - "make it right".

We tried to arrange it so he could get out there and see the damage himself, but he never contacted the renter so he could go inside to look at the damage. The renter tried on several occasions to contact him with no results. After that my wife tried calling him - leaving him messages, and also emailing him and his website and never got any response. So here we are, almost a year since the work was intially performed, and the roofer has yet to go out to the house and see the water damage first hand, let alone return the myriad of messages and emails asking when he can get out there and fix the roof.

I guess my question is where do we go from here? Although the insurance company compensated my wife for the intial repairs, she was the one who wrote the check to the roofer. Are we better off just saying the heck with him and hiring another roofer to repair the damage (an option neither one of us is excited about), or do we possibly move this to small claims court, or are there other options. Honestly, I haven't had much difficulty with contractors before, either personally or through work, so I'm not sure of the next steps that we should be taking. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Don't know for a fact, but yer probably screwed... Check with the BBB and see if this guy has any complaints on him. You can also check w. the sec of state office and see what they have on him as well, typically. You could try and sue him, but the $ might push it outta small claims court.

I'd get another contractor, bonded, insured and ask for references, to look at it. Get an estimate, send the other dude certified letter telling him you had another contractor look at it and had it estimated and point out the deficiencies. Give dude 30 days to reply, check with an attorney to see what steps are next, have the other roofer repair and then sue.

were in sconny?

Don't know for a fact, but yer probably screwed... Check with the BBB and see if this guy has any complaints on him.

The BBB is a scam, they are a supposed 'non-profit', but they solicit 'donations' from business's in the $400 range. Donate and you magically have a better rating...

http://www.thebluesmokeband.com/bbb.php

Who hired the contractor? What have they said?

• Sad 1

The BBB is a scam, they are a supposed 'non-profit', but they solicit 'donations' from business's in the $400 range. Donate and you magically have a better rating...

http://www.thebluesmokeband.com/bbb.php

Who hired the contractor? What have they said?

Agreed, to an extent, you can still see what is going on with this group. I'm betting they've gone tits-up, though. There are a bunch of fly-by-night groups in the residential roofing industry (as well as the commercial roofing and paving industries). You need to do your homework on these guys.

There may be a local or statewide roofing contractors association that you can get some good references through. Make sure the roofer is bonded and insured and can produce three or four references not related to the roofer.

Don't know for a fact, but yer probably screwed... Check with the BBB and see if this guy has any complaints on him. You can also check w. the sec of state office and see what they have on him as well, typically. You could try and sue him, but the $ might push it outta small claims court.

Not sure if she checked the BBB, but knowing her I'm pretty sure she would have looked at that before hiring him.

I'd get another contractor, bonded, insured and ask for references, to look at it. Get an estimate, send the other dude certified letter telling him you had another contractor look at it and had it estimated and point out the deficiencies. Give dude 30 days to reply, check with an attorney to see what steps are next, have the other roofer repair and then sue.

Sadly, this is where my line of thought was heading. :wacko:

Got some more info:

He's not registered with the BBB, so looking him up there isn't an option.

For what it's worth, his website is still active, but I don't know if that means a whole lot. Name of the company is New Image Consultants LLC out of Baldwin, WI.

Guy basically did the roofs in the entire neighborhood, as far as my wife knows nobody else had issues with him. It's just damn frustrating when he won't return calls or emails for the last several months. :wacko:

Got some more info:

He's not registered with the BBB, so looking him up there isn't an option.

For what it's worth, his website is still active, but I don't know if that means a whole lot. Name of the company is New Image Consultants LLC out of Baldwin, WI.

Guy basically did the roofs in the entire neighborhood, as far as my wife knows nobody else had issues with him. It's just damn frustrating when he won't return calls or emails for the last several months. :wacko:

I have many friends in the biz. ill se if they no anything

So in going back and forth with my wife on this, here's what I discovered.

The company she was dealing with - New Image Consulting is not a roofing company. They are, in fact, an Independent Public Insurance Adjuster. So it's finally starting to dawn on me that some insurance adjuster went through the neighborhood after a storm, did assessments on the properties, and helped the owners file claims. So what it boils down to is we are trying to get ahold of the public insurance adjuster to realize that their sub (whatever company that did the roofing - I now have absolutely no idea who that could be) did not properly repair the roof and it needs to be corrected.

:wacko:

Urge to kill rising...........rising..........................

RISING.................RISING.....................RISING...................

But thank you for the link nonetheless.

You want me to call and check them out for a office re-roof we have going in WI? PM me the number, I'll see what the guy has to offer.

It does look like he is an intermediary and probably subs out the work to contractors of ill repute and may or may not pay them. He probably over appraises the work, has the sub use sub-par materials and pockets the spread.

I told him i found him on the net under "roofers" and am going to see if he calls back with regard to having interest in the fake office re-roof. I'll see if he does the roofing contracting himself, or what subs he refers out...

We'll see what I can dig up or if he even bothers to call back, he might not be into doing legit contract work, probably just mainly a shark looking for the spread from the ins. companies for his shoddy ass work.

Which insurance company paid for the repairs and why?

Well, my wife wrote a check for the repairs, and the Progressive reimbursed her for that amount. The roof had hail damage and needed repair. I'd have to ask her the details, but I would think an adjustor from Progressive would have also looked at the roof prior to our submitting any claim. Or is there something else to your question that I am missing?

Well, my wife wrote a check for the repairs, and the Progressive reimbursed her for that amount. The roof had hail damage and needed repair. I'd have to ask her the details, but I would think an adjustor from Progressive would have also looked at the roof prior to our submitting any claim. Or is there something else to your question that I am missing?

Well, your wife could/should make a claim with her insurance company with respect to additional repairs needed to fix the shoddy work done by the contractor. Whether the insurance company will pay for those repairs likely depends on a number of things.

The best case scenario is that the insurance company selects the contractor and it fails to have the insured execute an "authorization for repair" or some other document in which the insured admits that the contract is between the insured and the contractor only and that the insured agrees that it will not look to the insurance company to pay for poor repairs or the like.

If the insurance company didn't cover its bases, it may pay for some or all of the repairs.

• 11 years later...
18 minutes ago, harmillohelton said:

no response.

I remember when you posted this. I don't think anyone responded because:

1. There are very few people that frequent this board anymore. 

2. Your issue is very specific and technical. I doubt the few people who are here have the technical knowledge to be comfortable answering your question.

3. You quoting your post I see your link text changed to "girl avatar" which tells me that you are likely a spammer. Not to mention you have only 4 posts in the span of 6 months,  one being this one bumping a 6 month old post. Feel free to refute that and I'll offer an opinion,  but I'm still not clicking that link. 

Edited by rajncajn
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
3 hours ago, claytmp said:

Hello. We hired a roofing contractor this year, gave a deposit in May 2005 and have yet to have our roof replacement done. We had three or four scheduled dates and no one showed up nor contacted to explain why. Every contact was initiated from me after repeatledy calling day after day every half hour. It has been one excuse after another whenever I could get a hold of the contractor. I started faxing so I would have things in writing when this crap started. I contacted the BBB and the attorney general's office to file a complaint. I also faxed the owner to know that we wanted the deposit back and would no longer require his services. Of course, no reply sooo . . . I am researching a lawyer to try to get our deposit money back but am not sure what type to hire or if there are other options available in trying to get the deposit back. I don't trust this company to do the roofing replacemetn job becuase of the lack of communcation and responsibility. We are in Baltimore County, MD. Any suggestions.

You should ask for that deposit back.

On 12/25/2022 at 2:26 PM, claytmp said:

Hello. We hired a roofing contractor this year, gave a deposit in May 2005 and have yet to have our roof replacement done. We had three or four scheduled dates and no one showed up nor contacted to explain why. Every contact was initiated from me after repeatledy calling day after day every half hour. It has been one excuse after another whenever I could get a hold of the contractor. I started faxing so I would have things in writing when this crap started. I contacted the BBB and the attorney general's office to file a complaint. I also faxed the owner to know that we wanted the deposit back and would no longer require his services. Of course, no reply sooo . . . I am researching a lawyer to try to get our deposit money back but am not sure what type to hire or if there are other options available in trying to get the deposit back. I don't trust this company to do the roofing replacemetn job becuase of the lack of communcation and responsibility. We are in Baltimore County, MD. Any suggestions.

On 12/25/2022 at 5:48 PM, chester said:

You should ask for that deposit back.

They did, see the bolded.

• 5 weeks later...