[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Throwing in the towel and making trades

Thews40

In a typical 13 or 14 game format, it’s getting to be that time of year where the 0-5 and 1-4 teams prolly have a fork in them. I was looking to make some trades, but felt it was sorta uncool (but still ok) to make a trade with a 1-4 team and not cool to make a trade with an 0-5 team. Considering an 0-5 team would have to win out to -1 game, there’s still motivation, but one doesn’t get to 0-5 off bad luck alone. Note – in dynasty leagues I can see the motivation for trading for next year at this year’s expense, but I still think it’s not cool when it’s an obvious bail out on the losing team. At what point does it become uncool for both a winning and losing team to make a trade with each other? …thoughts

In a typical 13 or 14 game format, it’s getting to be that time of year where the 0-5 and 1-4 teams prolly have a fork in them. I was looking to make some trades, but felt it was sorta uncool (but still ok) to make a trade with a 1-4 team and not cool to make a trade with an 0-5 team. Considering an 0-5 team would have to win out to -1 game, there’s still motivation, but one doesn’t get to 0-5 off bad luck alone. Note – in dynasty leagues I can see the motivation for trading for next year at this year’s expense, but I still think it’s not cool when it’s an obvious bail out on the losing team. At what point does it become uncool for both a winning and losing team to make a trade with each other? …thoughts

when it is a father / son trade ,,, I'm fighting that one right now !!

So long as the bottom-feeding team is actively trying to improve his/her team and paying attention to the league in general, I have no issue with anyone trading with them. The only time I have a problem is when a team has stopped paying attention, clearly doesn't care and then they make a trade out of nowhere (and don't do anything else after that trade). Teams that have "given up" shouldn't be traded with.

Lots of factors play in to this.

Are their weekly prizes to be considered?

Is there a prize for season points?

Is there a loser's bracket in playoffs?

As you noted, keeper considerations.

How many teams make playoffs?

IMO, if there are no weekly prizes, there are no "points scored" prizes, it is a non-keeper league and there is no loser/consolation bracket for non-playoff teams, then teams that are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs should not be allowed to make trades.

However, if any of those factors are in play, then those teams should be allowed to make moves that benefit their teams in pursuit of any of those goals/prizes up until the league wide trade deadline.

Determining what's "cool" or uncool is about as arbitrary as determining if a trade is "fair". We're all big boys, and you know if what you're doing is bad form.

As long as it's a trade that the losing owner legitimately thinks improves his team, then I see absolutely no problem with it... Even if his season is done, he should have the right to try to salvage a few wins and have some pride, just like a real NFL franchise should.

However, if it is a matter of an owner just jumping ship, and just giving away players, then that becomes close enough to collusion to where as commissioner, I would at very least be looking into it, and no doubt seek replacement owners next year... But this is why I like having a playoff spot for the points leader too, or at least some type of incentive for people to not jump ship their team.

Lots of factors play in to this.

Are their weekly prizes to be considered?

Is there a prize for season points?

Is there a loser's bracket in playoffs?

As you noted, keeper considerations.

How many teams make playoffs?

IMO, if there are no weekly prizes, there are no "points scored" prizes, it is a non-keeper league and there is no loser/consolation bracket for non-playoff teams, then teams that are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs should not be allowed to make trades.

However, if any of those factors are in play, then those teams should be allowed to make moves that benefit their teams in pursuit of any of those goals/prizes up until the league wide trade deadline.

I agree with this, but 0-5 is far from being mathematically eliminated. This doesn't happen until later in the season and is a tough thing to calculate with to many weeks left. Also, this is suppose to be fun as well. If a team wants to get a few wins even after being eliminated, why not let them? If they are doing anything stupid and/or immoral then they shouldn't be in your league in the first place and all of this is irrelevant.

We've switched to a keeper league so teams that are down and out and try to make trades for keepers. Additonally, we have a playoff bracket for the bottom teams with a cash payout so no one throws in the towel. We also have a tread deadline to help with this scenario as well.

In a re-draft with no trade deadline and no bottom bracket playoff, you must rely heavily on owner integrity, and a lot of times that's a problem.

I would post something, but Sky would beat me senseless. :wacko:

To an extent there's nothing uncool about using bottom feeders to help propel you to a championship as long as what they are doing is building for the future in a dynasty or keeper. In a redraft though everyone should be making every effort to win regardless of their situation & it is definitely uncool to jeopardize your chances to help a front-runner out or vice-versa.

Our league(s) use the "No Trading Between Mathematically Eliminated Team and Playoff Hunt Team" Rule. Also, any trades that appear VERY one sided as to suggest player "selling" is looked at by the Commish and voted on by the league.

I recently gave up Peyton Hillis and Donald Driver to a 1-4 team (last week, Week 3 was double header), to get Randy Moss... two hours before the announcement of the Vikings trade :wacko: