[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I just got new windows... how much should I tip?

Duchess Jack

I know the guy - but not really well. He is a buddy of a buddy. The guy is an amazing woodsmith, but he came in like 3K under the next lowest estimate.

I had considered a c-note for him and a c-note for his helper - but if he is giving me a big discount, than passing a couple hundred seems weird, because he 'might' have discounted things well beyond that - I don't really know.

At first, he was going to do this with my neighbor... so I thought I'd get them both a hundred dollar bag. That way... I am still giving a hundred each, but it is more thoughtful and not just about the money (vs the money I am saving).

Well, he decided to do it during normal business hours rather than on the side - so he has his helper - which kind of makes the above idea a bit weird. So, now I am back to thinking a c-note each. Is this a decent amount?

I know the guy - but not really well. He is a buddy of a buddy. The guy is an amazing woodsmith, but he came in like 3K under the next lowest estimate.

I had considered a c-note for him and a c-note for his helper - but if he is giving me a big discount, than passing a couple hundred seems weird, because he 'might' have discounted things well beyond that - I don't really know.

At first, he was going to do this with my neighbor... so I thought I'd get them both a hundred dollar bag. That way... I am still giving a hundred each, but it is more thoughtful and not just about the money (vs the money I am saving).

Well, he decided to do it during normal business hours rather than on the side - so he has his helper - which kind of makes the above idea a bit weird. So, now I am back to thinking a c-note each. Is this a decent amount?

More than adequate.

It depends on how wealthy you are and how poor he is - It is all about being fair and closing the gap. :wacko:

If Nancy Pelosi is reading this she would also suggest that he becomes part owner of the windows. :tup:

I think you are OK with 100 each - I would think it would be much appreciated.

This is always so tricky really. If it were just two installers from a company that gave you a full bid...I'd say $100 a piece would be a fabulous tip. Given the time it took....that bumps their hourly about $5/hr.

But if the guy is a buddy of a buddy.....and just saved you 3K and you are very pleased with the work, I don't think 10% of the savings is out of line.

Maybe $250-300 to him....100 for his helper. :wacko: And some referrals.....lol. Or ask for some business cards in case you run across a friend having something done that you can recommend him.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've got two guys in the basement laying new carpet. They are almost done and I realize I only have $4 in cash on me. They are Mexican. Do I give them the $4 or is that an insult? Better to just tip nothing and hope they don't come back for revenge? I do have several rolls of quarters but that may be an even bigger insult.

I do have an old Sony receiver that I probably won't use again... :wacko:

So I've got two guys in the basement laying new carpet. They are almost done and I realize I only have $4 in cash on me. They are Mexican. Do I give them the $4 or is that an insult? Better to just tip nothing and hope they don't come back for revenge? I do have several rolls of quarters but that may be an even bigger insult.

I do have an old Sony receiver that I probably won't use again... :wacko:

If you have an old mattress or a poncho you can give them, they will be as happy as they can be. I also hear that they are quite partial to kitchen knives, beer, booze and little girl's underwear. :tup:

I have never been tipped for building a building, and I've saved an owner $3,000,000 on one project. I had new vinyl siding put on a portion of my house last fall, and I didn't tip the guy a thing. He gave me a bid, and I accepted his bid. He did the work, and I paid him the agreed upon amount. Tipping a contractor of any kind just seems strange to me.

I have never been tipped for building a building, and I've saved an owner $3,000,000 on one project. I had new vinyl siding put on a portion of my house last fall, and I didn't tip the guy a thing. He gave me a bid, and I accepted his bid. He did the work, and I paid him the agreed upon amount. Tipping a contractor of any kind just seems strange to me.

Agreed.

Unless it is a buddy that is giving you a deal because they are doing it in their spare time and cutting the cost of the materials because they somehow have them just laying around....