[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Which team is better

ttwarrior4

My friends 5-3 team has won 7 leagues in a row and is 2nd in pts. Only 15 behind. Im 4th in pts and about 80 behind

12 team. .50 ppr,

His team: He's been adding best free agent qb every week along with a d and kicker/

He's been averaging 15 pts a week at k, 15 at d and over 20 at qb doing this

His team

Stafford

Miles austin

Terrell owens

Harvin

Arion foster

Ray rice

B pettigrew

Flex: normally torain but agonz this week

Bench is Kitna,j nelson,d ward,mcgahee,celek, stafford,

My team

My wr has been carrying me 5-3. I started off 1-3 with andre, addai hurt and bad qb

Week at rb,te but having some luck there

M sanchez

Andre johnson

Roddy white

H nicks

Addai

b bush

o daniels or moeaki, did have finley

Flex Mike williams of tampa\

K A viniteri

D Steelers

Bench is k williams, mike hart, Mike williams of seatle,,davone bess, added v young today

He offered me : i get Torain, harvin, celek, anthony gonz, I give both mike williams and davone bess

I think he is mainly doing it because he doesn't even need torain and he's on a bye and one of those managers

that play for this week. Plus with torain on a bye and harvin banged up he knows mike williams,bess helps

I play him next week and I'll have m bush on a bye. Of course foster,owens,austin have been carrying him.

I would be starting harvin or torain at flex if i accept and torain at rb next week

He would be starting mike williams at harvins spot and bess or seatle mike williams at flex or mcgahee. It also gives

him an open roster spot so he can pick up a kicker. Otherwise he would cut j nelson or ward

Sorry for the long message but i want to win and want him to lose.

Do

perhaps but at least im not a dickhead like you, your life must suck

He may be a dickhead but at least he can manage his own team.

Before I begin there needs to be a clearly established line on what is considered life and what conditions are needed to support said life. For the purposes of this post I will refer to life based on what we currently know as scientific fact. That means all of the requirements for sustaining life on earth and following the requirements for labeling something as living: "Living organisms undergo metabolism, maintain homeostasis, possess a capacity to grow, respond to stimuli, reproduce and, through natural selection, adapt to their environment in successive generations."

My belief on life in the universe:

I support the belief that there is an abundance of life through the universe and that if giving even the small chance, life will flourish where ever it finds a foothold. However, I adamantly believe that intelligent life is an extremely rare if not unique in time event to occur in each galaxy and that we will never receive an alien message or alien visitors.

Several reason why I believe this.

Habitable Stars & Planets for Sustaining Complex Life:

There are an estimated 200 billion stars in our milky way galaxy. Now 200 billion is a very large number of stars which means a greater chance for life, right? Not necessarily. As we all know the Milky Way galaxy is a barred spiral galaxy that has 4 arms and with the greatest concentration of stars, nebula, gases, and other stellar material in the barred, central region where gravity is the strongest (super massive black hole). In order to support complex life, a star system needs to be positioned within the Galactic Habitable Zone (GHZ).

Galactic Habitable Zone (GHZ) Requirements:

[1] Star system needs to be close enough to the galactic center in order to ensure that there is an abundant of heavy elements for rocky planets to form and to form the building blocks of complex molecules needed for life

[2] Star system must be positioned far enough from the galactic center to avoid the high levels of dangerous radiation such as gamma and x-rays. This radiation will destroy any DNA and can prevent complex molecules from forming.

While the GHZ for the Milky Way is still a debatable topic, it is estimated that it starts about 25,000 light years from the galactic center and is roughly 6,000 to 8,000 light years in width. This means that roughly 20% of the mass in the Milky Way Galaxy resides in the GHZ including an estimated 40 billion stars. There are many different types of stars (neutron stars, red giants, white dwarfs, red dwarfs, pulsars, magnatars, protostars, the very hot blue stars, the moderate yellow stars and so on) but not all of them can host planets let alone complex life forms. Since everything we know about life revolves around our yellow star (solar type star) we have to identify the % of solar type stars out of that 40 billion. Depending on where you research you’ll find a range from .5% - 7% total solar type stars. We will use 3% for this example.

1.2 Billion Solar Type Stars

So we have 1.2 Billion Solar Type Stars in the Milky Way galaxy that we have identified as:

1. Do not age too quickly and burn out before complex life could form

2. Reside within a region of the Milky Way galaxy where rocky planets can form around the host star yet also far enough out to protect it from deadly radiation from the galactic center

Now we need to turn our attention to the planets that would orbit around these stars. It is estimated that 22% of solar type stars have at least one gas giant or rocky giant planet and of the 22%, it is estimated that 35-40% of them do have an inner, rocky planet in the Goldilocks zone or Circumstellar Habitable Zone (CHZ). In order for earth-like planet to exist it needs to have some type of gas or rocky giant planet in a deeper orbit around the host star to protect it from comets and asteroids streaking through the system. Think back to 1997 when Shoemaker-Levy was captured by Jupiter's gravity, broke up into several smaller pieces and impacted Jupiter. The fireball from the first impact was twice the size of earth and the scars from the event stayed on Jupiter's clouds for almost a year. Imagine that hitting the earth.

So what do we have thus far?

Sun-like star or a star that will allow life as we know it to exist with at least 1 giant planet in deep orbit protecting the inner planet(s) and 1 rocky planet in the Goldilocks zone as a requirement for life.

1.2 Billion Solar Type Stars

22% of 1.2 billion = 264 million star systems have a gas or rocky giant planet in deep orbit & out of that 22% 40% of 264 million = 105.6 million Solar Type Star systems with a rocky inner planet

Where our solar system is to give you an idea of the GHZ

[we’ll round up]

106 million Solar Type Star systems that have the infrastructure in place for supporting a planet that can, in turn, support complex life.

Now we have to look at the smaller, inner planet where our life would be found to see if it could support life. We already know it sits in the zone around the host star where conditions are right for liquid water. But now we need an atmosphere and to to protect the atmosphere and everything on the planet from the star's radiation. This requires two major requirements:

1. A molten core that spins to generate a magnetic field to deflect radiation, plasma ejections, and all the nasty stuff from the host star

2. An atmosphere with the chemical makeup that can prevent ultraviolet radiation from cooking the planet and has enough green house gases to keep some of the solar heat from bouncing back out into space.

The atmosphere and molten core are linked. We’ll start with the molten core and move outwards. The molten core is needed to produce a strong magnetic field to protect the life from the onslaught of the star from sterilizing the planet. In order to have a molten core the planet would have been born from a moderate mix of denser elements and hydrogen from nebulian and stellar gas clouds that surrounded the star at the moment it ignited. Not all protostars have these materials in the required concentrations orbiting their gravitation pull (hence the galaxtic habitable zone). Once the protoplanet has formed it would need to be molten, contain heavier metal elements, and cool at a certain speed to allow for planetary differentiation to occur. This means cool slowly enough to allow the heavier elements to be affected by the center of gravity of the protoplanet and sink to the middle.

The elements of iron, nickle, gold, platinum and siderophile elements are needed for our type of magnetic field. Without these, a magnetic field for our earth 2 may not be stable or sufficient. The heaviest elements of gold, platinum and the siderophile elements will sink all the way to the center to make the inner core. Iron and nickle are lighter and will rest on top of the inner core to make the outer core. These elements in this model are required in order for the molten core’s swirling mass to generate the proper circulating electrical currents that generate a massive current loop like magnetic field.

So our earth 2 meets this requirement and fit the dynamo theory perfectly. One of the side effects of have a swirling molten mass of elements at roughly 9k degrees is you will have a geologically active planet with the crust constantly in flux. As volcanoes erupt they dump their gases out on to the surface and along with other lighter gases such as nitrogen and oxygen, form an atmosphere. As we know based on the organisms living on earth today life can exist in an atmosphere where there is little to no nitrogen or O2. So the specifics of the chemical makeup are not as constrained but it must contain a layer to block the ultraviolet radiation from the star or DNA will not exist.

There is no clear estimate on how many rocky planets will form around a solar class star and meets the requirements of a magnetic field. So I have to use the numerical modeling for total rocky planets around one of these stars, make a judgement call on % and apply that number to the planets with magnetic fields needed for complex life. Based on the numerical modeling, a total of 4 rocky planets are formed per solar class star in our galaxy with 1 planet per star falling within the CHZ and 1 on either the extreme hot side (Venus) or on the extreme cold side (mars).

Since I am in no position to identify a theoretical number of how many do have the magnetic fields needed for complex life, I will use a very generous % of 75%.

So now what do we have so far?

Out of the estimated 200 billion stars in our galaxy 1.2 billion fall inside the GHZ.

Out of the 1.2 billion stars in the GHZ an estimated 106 million fit the criteria for having a planet in the star systems habitable zone (CHZ)

75% of 106 million = 79,500,000

Out of those star systems with rocky inner planets an estimated 79.5 million have the proper magnetic fields in line to protect complex life forms. Keep in mind there are about a billion other variables that need to line up but we are only talking about high level items. So we need to make some assumptions before continuing:

Assumptions:

1. The planet has liquid water to form oceans needed to soak up poisons in the atmosphere and for chemical reactions needed for complex lifeforms

2. The planets will be between 0.7 and 1.5 mass of the earth

3. The planets have cooled down enough to allow for stable land masses

Conclusion of Habitable Stars and Planets for Complex Life:

Based on the information above we have theorized that in our Milky Way Galaxy we have roughly 79.5 million Solar Class Star Systems that contain the appropriate materials for creating and protecting an earth-like planet to host complex life forms.

Keep in mind that there is no hard data and that we’ve been using averages from NASA, ESA, MIT, and articles from SPACE.com. While the numbers are estimated, the process itself is accepted across all groups (e.g. galactic and solar habitable zones, element counts based on star positions, ect).

Life, Complex Life & Intelligent Life:

Now we need to cover the categories of life for our 79.5 million planets. I am pretty sure that we can all agree that microbial life is a given and simple multi-cell life forms as well so we are going to skip past those. With all of the information we have scientist believe that life is no accident and is a common event. All you have to do is take a step back and explore the entire history of life on earth to understand that. Today, we have an estimated 600 million different forms of life ranging from bacteria to red wood trees and everything in between (even Admiral Adama stated when they arrived on earth that there was more life in Africa than all of the 12 colonies put together). 600 million is a large number but not when you factor in that 98% of the documented species are extinct.

There are two different kinds of extinctions (someone correct me if I am wrong here, I am not very knowledgeable in this area as of yet) Background or normal course extinctions and then mass extinction events. According to the fossil record (and an unreliable resource of wiki) it is estimated that there are between “two to five taxonomic families of marine invertebrates and vertebrates every million years” for background extinctions. Marine fossils are used as they are superior to land fossils in obtaining this information (wiki again). We cannot tell if there were any mass extinctions during the Archean and Proterozoic periods because there were no living organisms that would have been capable of producing a fossil record (hard bodies) so we can only speak towards the 5 mass extinctions that occurred in the past 550 to 600 million years. I think it is safe to say that there were mass extinctions during those other periods and if so, you can see how the life table would be much larger than we can predict today.

As of July 1st, 2010 it was discovered that complex life formed on Earth 1.5 Billion years earlier than previously thought. This means these complex life forms are 2.1 billion years old (a far cry from the originally thought date of 600 million years age during the Cambrian explosion). This 2.1 billion year old period coincides to a time when the oceans first become slightly oxygenated leading some scientist to believe oxygen was the initial spark that spawn complex life on Earth. What does this mean to us? Glad you asked, Puddy. It means that complex life can developed very rapidly (on a cosmological time line) from simple, single cell life forms and can develop much sooner than originally speculated. I want you all to remember the paragraph you just read as we go through the rest of this post, it may not make too much sense right now but just keep it in mind.

Now I mentioned at the beginning of this post that I believe life is abundant out there. I truly believe that under the sea ice of Europa (6th moon of Jupiter) there are complex aquatic-arctic like life forms and I also believe that on Titan (the soupy moon of Saturn) there is simple life, most likely microbial or a simple slime fungus. We know for a fact that there are organisms here on Earth that would die if we brought them in to our environment. These organisms are called extremophiles and can exist in the most hostile and odd places on our planet. In fact, you only have to look to the natural hot springs in Yellowstone park to see these organisms. The different colors in the water are extremophile bacteria.

With all of this said I am very comfortable in stating that all of our 79.5 million planets will have a very diverse range of potential life. Most of these planets may see a rise of larger animals that fly and walk the lands or have vast and lust jungles. If planets have a mass of .5 or more above what Earth has then we can expect to see short, squatter forms of life due to the higher gravity. Imagine in a dessert there are starfish like creatures and slide along the ground and no type of flying creatures because the higher gravity forced life to abandon the evolution of wings because the energy to fly would be too much. If planets have a slightly lower mass than Earth then we’d see a lot of tall, thin type lifeforms with a very diverse range able to fly or float on thermal currents. When you sit down and begin thinking about everything that could be it really makes you feel comfortable knowing that life is a very diverse and power force to contend with.

But intelligent life? That is a whole other can of worms. Re-read this life chapter and then ponder on this, with all of the life that Earth has on it right now and in the past, why were there only two species that rose to intelligence, homo sapiens and neanderthals. Neanderthals are debatable because they lacked the cognitive ability to adapt their environment for their needs or make complex tools outside of wooden spears. I personally don’t count Neanderthals even though there is evidence of rudimentary tool usage and a more advanced social structure that was more than the typical animal social structures you would see in apes and monkeys, they were unable to modify their environment.

But it really depends on how you classify ‘Intelligent Life’ which to say is a very difficult definition to identify. Does it mean a species develops language? Does it mean a species can understand and react to a situation? Does it mean the creation and use of tools? Does it mean a species can modify their environment to create a more hospitable one? Or does it mean the ability to send and receive interstellar signals? Some may argue that communication is a requirement for intelligent life such as SETI’s definition which mandates that a species be able to send, receive and communication messages through space. I do not support this one bit. Modern medicine has shown us that the cells in our bodies are able to communication with each other, react to stimuli and in a sense learn from their environment. Does this make cells intelligent life? Do they take their children (through Mitosis) to cell school and instill values in them? For me I like to use I'M A TOOL Sagan’s view. I'M A TOOL Sagan wrote “(in "Cosmic Connection," recently reprinted by Cambridge University Press) that intelligence involves the tendency toward control of the environment -- including a non-hereditary adaptive quality developed during the lifetime of a single individual (that is, intelligent creatures can learn).”

While we can never know just how many different species have lived on earth prior to 600 million years ago (fossil record) then we have to do an estimation on all multi-cellular species that have existed using the following assumptions:

1. The estimate for multi-cell species living today is averaged at 100 million

2. The number of species had an increase in complexity and diversity from 1 species 600 million years ago to 100 million in modern times

3. The information science has at this point regarding invertebrates, the average species lives for an estimated average of 4 million years before extinction

Using this logic we have an estimated range of 750 million to 7.5 billion species (not including bacteria and archaea (Astrobiology, 2010). That is a huge range so we’ll use the lowest range which seems more plausible to me.

1 in 750,000,000 = 0.00000013333333333333333% chance for intelligent life on a single planet.

Based on this: 0.00000013333333333333333% of 79.5 million = 0.106%

We have a 0.106% chance of intelligent life in our galaxy (including us). When you break that down it means that the Milky Way galaxy should produce 314-355 intelligent species spread out over a 100,000 light year wide galaxy. Sounds great. But we haven’t factor in when they became intelligent, achieved the needed level of technology for travel/communication or how long their civilization existed.

Intelligent Civilizations Life Cycle and Technologies

Now the fun begins. Enter the Kardashev scale. It is, much like the Drake equation (which I really don’t support fully), a speculative scale to measure a theoretical civilization’s technological scale (and remember this is all in theory) by energy consumption needs. You have a total of 4 levels of civilizations (not including Level 0):

Level 1: The civilization can harness the energy output of an entire planet

Level 2: The civilization can harness the energy output of a single star

Level 3: The civilization can harness the energy output of a single galaxy

Level 4: The civilization can harness the energy output of the universe

We, humans, haven not entered this scale yet and are considered a Level 0 civilization.

A Level 1 civilization would be able to harness the total energy output of a planet (or potential energy output). This means not only geothermal, wind, water, ect, it also means converting mass directly in to energy at a rate of 2kg per second. The interesting part is due to the hydrogen in water we would need to convert 1 cubic km of ocean water month by fission to achieve this level of energy output.

A Level 2 civilization would be space ferrying that would be able to visit neighboring stars and would most likely construct a Dyson sphere that would encompass the inner planets and host star of a solar system to harness the power of the star. They would most likely live on the inner surface of the Dyson sphere as opposed to the planet encased in it.

A level 3 civilization would do the same thing but instead of a star they would encase an entire galaxy in order to capture all of their energy requirements.

A level 4 civilization is very hard to theorize as they would be able to harness and use all of the energy in the entire universe. This would mean they can control and manipulate all mater and anti-matter at will.

I would imagine that level 3 could travel anywhere in a galaxy while level 2 would be limited to surrounding stellar regions (local cluster stars).

Here is where it really gets fun, a species that is able to harness the power of a planet may take a few million years to develop while species able to harness star & galactic power may be 10s of millions of years ahead of where we are today. Where in the galactic timeline did each civilization form, live, and pass in to nothingness? Did we have a type 2 civilization that existed 3 billion years ago that went extinct? Are we going to be around to see our species harness the power of our star? Is there some weird cephalopods like creature that just climbed out of some alien ocean this morning on a distant planet that will eventually rise to become a level 3 civilization? As you can see timing is everything. For all we know, we are the only intelligent life that exists currently in the Milky way galaxy or we are coming on line right after a 15 million year old civilization passed on. But outside of timing for evolution of intelligent species, you have to contend with a species own internal strife as it advances.

I saw this argument in a wiki entry a while ago that I fully agree and concur with it. In our history anytime we have undergone a significant technological or spiritual transformation there are always conflicts and social unrest. Look at the industrial revolution, the age of enlightenment, the rise of science verse religion, the internet, ect. Each level in this scale must represent a very significant and drastic period of change that may either be negative (fall out during the industrial revolution) or a perceived positive (globalizing information and communication through the internet).

So to move from a level 0 to level 1 civilization we would experience a period of limited resource availability (oil, food, potable water) then a period where there are many different ideas on and competitions on how to progress (we see this now with green technologies, electric cars, ect) and then progression to a level 1 technology. We have two paths we can go down, war over resources or globalization of humanity to achieve a better society. This can be used for each transition between levels on the scale. Where the limited resources come in to play you have the potential for war, plague, mass starvation, ect. So each time a civilization reaches the threshold for change, it also reaches a point where it can destroy itself either by it’s consumption of resources or, as some theorize when the need for resources no longer exists due to their advancement, the very technology they achieved. So not every civilization will be able to achieve the technological level and informational level needed for travel or communication with other life forms outside of their planets.

However, if two civilizations were close enough (ie different planets in the same system, different planets orbiting their own stars in a binary system ect) they can either mutually destroy each other or form a collective of technology and information to prolong or ease transitions to the next level of advancement. This is a major wild card for the scientists working in this field of theoretical physics and astrobiology. We can only base our assumptions on how two civilizations interact with each other on what we see in our historical records.

Conclusion on Life, Complex Life & Intelligent Life:

Life is an amazing thing when you get right down to it. A globe of elements and molecules clump together and with a little spark, life begins. The scientific community feels that life is no accident and most likely a very common event throughout the universe. Complex life, as we just covered, can develop more rapidly and sooner than we originally projected. But intelligent life not so much (based on these estimates). There are may factors that work against an intelligent civilization’s longevity that would prevent the explosion and spreading of the intelligent life outside of their host system.

But what if there is an advanced civilization in our own galaxy right now?

Advanced Civilizations & Contact with Earth

The stuff movies are made of. So what would happen if we had an advanced civilization (level 2,3 or 4) floating in our galactic neighborhood? Would they be hostile or friendly? Would they welcome us in to some galactic federation and share their technology with us or would they strip the earth of resources or enslave humanity? This is where it really gets speculative. We all know that anytime a more advanced society encountered a lesser one on earth, the lesser was wiped out or taken advantage of. Some scientists like to use this as an example of what would happen to us should an alien fleet arrive on earth while others believe they will be peaceful and want to share knowledge and technology with us but I say phooey on this line of thinking.

It depends on the level the civilization is at for how our encounter with an alien species will go.

Starting with the technology for travel through the galaxy, any aliens that have achieved the knowledge and technology to traverse the Milky Way may not be what we would expect and they certainly wouldn’t give us much consideration. As we all know space is vast. It is unimaginably vast.

1 light year = 5.87849981 × 10 to the 12th power miles

One light-year is equal to:

* exactly 9,460,730,472,580.8 km (about 9.5 Pm)

* about 5,878,625,373,183.608 miles (about 6 trillion miles)

* about 63,241.1 astronomical units

* about 0.306601 parsecs

* exactly 31,557,600 light-seconds

Proxima Centauri is the closest star to earth at 4.2 light years. Do the math on that and try to wrap your head around the sheer distance just to travel to our closest neighbor star. Traveling at the speeds we can achieve right now it would take us 50,000 years to reach Proxima Centauri. In order to travel the gulf of space you would need to develop a way to travel at the speed of light (which is impossible as an objects’ mass will be come infinite as it approaches the speed of light), warp space or create a stable wormhole (which would require as much energy as a galaxy produces to stabilize the wormhole or create stable warp bubbles) or a lesser discussed option of nanites.

A level 2 civilization would be our greatest threat. They would still be in a stage in their evolution where ‘rudimentary resources’ may be needed and since they require the energy output of a star for the continuity of their species our sun may be in their target cross hairs. Since they have not developed the ability to explore deep in to space, they would have to go to neighboring stars in the local cluster. More than likely this would be achieved by sending out clouds of self replicating nanobots that would be able to sail through the gulf of space between star systems, gathering floating material to fuel their own energy needs and self replicate. Once they arrived at a suitable system the nanobots would begin disassembling the local material to build a dyson sphere to harness our stars energy. We would never see the aliens and most likely either encased in the Dyson sphere or the nanobots would use us and our planet for materials. In all probability the aliens would know we existed (because of our radio/TV broadcasts) and may consider us as nothing more than animals that are expendable. Then again, because space is so vast, they may not even know we exist because their technology would be more advanced and therefore no need for having the ability to pick up radio waves.

A level 3 civilization would most likely no care about us. A species that has achieved the technology and energy needs that require galactic power may no longer be fully organic. They may travel the galaxy in an energy state and would regard organic life forms the same as we regard an ant hill. What I mean is, ants are a highly organized, complex society insect and they are incredibly resilient but when you pass by an ant hill, do you stop and sit there to study the ant hill and the colony? More than likely you either pass on by or kick the ant hill. Same thing applies here. Any alien Level 3 civilization could care less about us and would have very little need to intrude in our solar system. Their technology would be based on light and manipulation of quantum particles. If we had one standing in front of us we would most likely never see them or know what we were looking at.

A level 4 civilization most likely wouldn’t have the need to even intrude in our galaxy and, if they are from our galaxy, would leave to harness the power of the universe itself. They, again, could care less for our organic civilization. Since they could harness dark matter and dark energy, they would exist in energy form and probably shift between one of the eleven dimensions that make up the string theory of the universe. We wouldn’t even be a curiosity to them.

Overall Conclusion

Well, there is my overall, flawed and poorly relayed opinion on habitable planets, life in general, and intelligent life in our galaxy. This has got to be the longest thread ever put in to the tailgate that will never be read in full

Seriously, what the Fu(k is the world coming to when a guy can't even get a straight answer on whether to start Bowe or not...

Wait, Timmay, is the answer somewhere in your post, if so can you point it out to me so I don't have to listen to these dickheads anymore about whether or not I should start Bowe?

On a side note, I can either start Addai or D. Williams this weekend who should I go with, TIA all you cock sucking, momofu(ktards...