[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tom Brady Jinx?

Scooby's Hubby

I'm 4-4 with a team that easily would be 7-1 if Brady was playing like Brady. The loss of Moss sent the Pats O back to the stone ages fantasy-wise. Five yards passing and cloud of dust combined with lots of runs.

Can't speak for all Brady owners, but I burnt the last pick in the 2nd round on this guy (draft fail). I really believed he was poised for a big season after putting up a good year last year on one leg and with broken ribs and fingers. Effectively, I am trying to compete this season with no second round pick. The Brady I thought I drafted might as well have been knocked out of the season with an injury. I now have a new QB that puts up half the points of the guy I drafted. That handicap will set any team back.

If a team used an early round pick on Brady, they are much more likely to be hurt by his performance than the teams that waited and grabbed Brady in the later rounds because of the price they paid to get him.

Edited by SpinalTapp

I'm 4-4 with a team that easily would be 7-1 if Brady was playing like Brady. The loss of Moss sent the Pats O back to the stone ages fantasy-wise. Five yards passing and cloud of dust combined with lots of runs.

Can't speak for all Brady owners, but I burnt the last pick in the 2nd round on this guy (draft fail). I really believed he was poised for a big season after putting up a good year last year on one leg and with broken ribs and fingers. Effectively, I am trying to compete this season with no second round pick. The Brady I thought I drafted might as well have been knocked out of the season with an injury. I now have a new QB that puts up half the points of the guy I drafted. That handicap will set any team back.

If a team used an early round pick on Brady, they are much more likely to be hurt by his performance than the teams that waited and grabbed Brady in the later rounds because of the price they paid to get him.

The top team in my league (7-1) has Brady, but he also has Foster and a talented corps of WRs. The dude also benefited from a freakishly low PA total in the first half, with opponents scoring 13 PPG less than the league average when they play him. In his case, I think Brady is a good luck charm.

The top team in my league (7-1) has Brady, but he also has Foster and a talented corps of WRs. The dude also benefited from a freakishly low PA total in the first half, with opponents scoring 13 PPG less than the league average when they play him. In his case, I think Brady is a good luck charm.

Hmm...but I just checked my other league and the Brady owner is 3-5 and in 9th place in a 10-team league.

the guy in our league is 2-6 with Brady as well....

may be on to something there...

Corollary to the theory: Tom Brady is one of those marquee names that newbies and casual owners will gravitate toward. In other words, he is probably seen as a safe pick by people who do not spend 10-15 hours a week or more studying FF stats (i.e., the normal world).

Now, this is not to offend any FF geniuses who own Brady, but merely to point out that Brady is more likely to get snapped up by a less informed owner. It would be interesting to plot the experience level of Brady owners versus the norm - the Brady owner who is in 9th place in my Yahoo league is in his second FF season, and undoubtedly he selected Brady based on limited knowledge, like the number of Super Bowls Brady has won or something (the owner in question was 4-9 last year in his inaugural FF run).

Corollary to the theory: Tom Brady is one of those marquee names that newbies and casual owners will gravitate toward. In other words, he is probably seen as a safe pick by people who do not spend 10-15 hours a week or more studying FF stats (i.e., the normal world).

Now, this is not to offend any FF geniuses who own Brady, but merely to point out that Brady is more likely to get snapped up by a less informed owner. It would be interesting to plot the experience level of Brady owners versus the norm - the Brady owner who is in 9th place in my Yahoo league is in his second FF season, and undoubtedly he selected Brady based on limited knowledge, like the number of Super Bowls Brady has won or something (the owner in question was 4-9 last year in his inaugural FF run).

Also need to factor in keeper situations. In my case, I walked into the season with CJ2K, J.Charles, and Nicks. Drafted Wayne in first round. Brady at end of Second.

I was curious, so I just checked ... the Brady owner in my local league currently has a record of: 2-6. Maybe we can get JUMbotron to do some research (investigate 50 random MFL leagues or something, to see what the common 'Brady team' record is) for his next Inside the Numbers article. Conspiracy theorists unite.

E2A - In my BOTH league ... Brady has been dropped, but while he was on his original owner's roster, that FF team had a record of 1-5, the sole win coming during the Patriots bye week, when Fitzpatrick was started at QB.

Edited by ts

I was curious, so I just checked ... the Brady owner in my local league currently has a record of: 2-6. Maybe we can get JUMbotron to do some research (investigate 50 random MFL leagues or something, to see what the common 'Brady team' record is) for his next Inside the Numbers article. Conspiracy theorists unite.

Heh - I looked up random Brady owners in Yahoo! public leagues via Leaderboards; here are the records of the first 10 Brady teams I found:

5-3

1-7

2-6

4-4

2-6

3-5

3-5

2-6

4-4

3-5

Average: 2.9 wins, 5.1 losses

Small sample pool, but more anecdotal info to add to the conspiracy theory.

The league I'm in the Brady owner is 6-2 with the most points scored in the league. He also has Welker. We've played twice already and he's kicked my arse twice. He does however have Gore, Forte and he traded me McFadden just before he got hurt. On paper my team appears way stronger (6 players in the top 20) but we all know the game is not played on paper.

I also have Brady in a league where I'm 6-2 so I think it really has to do with who you put around him.

Edited by bowltr

I am 5-3 with Brady in my Yahoo league. I have had problems early scoring points because I had AP do little early and PT not do anything except get hurt. Brady now barely gets 15 points.

Game Log:

Wk1 258yds, 3tds, 0ints

Wk2 248yds, 2tds, 2ints

Wk3 252yds, 3tds, 0ints

Wk4 153yds, 1tds, 0ints

Wk5 BYE

Wk6 292yds, 1tds, 2ints

Wk7 159yds, 1tds, 0ints

Wk8 240yds, 1tds, 0ints

Given the information above, it is easy to see that Brady is nothing better than a back-up/ situational QB now. Probably most teams with Brady won Week 1 & 3; however, the rest of the weeks Brady was a liability. I have him riding a spot at the end of my bench because of the "Can not be Dropped" protection.

Edited by ajh2

12-team redraft, Brady owner is 2-6. He drafted from the seventh spot, with his first five picks being Michael Turner, Brady, Colston, Beanie and Witten.

In my 14-team redraft, the guy who drafted Brady is 1-7, but he traded Brady after week 4.

Im 4-4 with brady. This is my first year playing FF but I definitely know a lot about football, my appreciation for stats has tripled now that half the season is over. I had a terrible draft, hell I only have 4 players on my team from the original draft and brady was used in the 2nd. I traded like a mad man and vultured the waiver wire since I started 1-4. I think im looking good now for the playoffs but no doubt if I had chosen a different qb than brady in the second Id have a few more wins. I'll be doing things differently next draft thats for sure.

In the one league where I own Brady. . .I'm 2-6.

However, this is also the league where I drafted MJD as my RB1, Spiller as my RB3 and traded for Randy Moss, so it isn't all Brady's fault.

Im 4-4 with brady. This is my first year playing FF but I definitely know a lot about football, my appreciation for stats has tripled now that half the season is over. I had a terrible draft, hell I only have 4 players on my team from the original draft and brady was used in the 2nd. I traded like a mad man and vultured the waiver wire since I started 1-4. I think im looking good now for the playoffs but no doubt if I had chosen a different qb than brady in the second Id have a few more wins. I'll be doing things differently next draft thats for sure.

Don't beat yourself up about only having four players left from draft day, BookersB. I have 7 of 16 left in one league and only 5 of 18 in the other. In my estimation, only 20 percent or so of FF success comes from a great draft, and I have had teams that started horrible that finished string due to WW pickups, maximizing the talent I have each week, and judicious trading.

I have also had teams that started great due to draft picks that limped into the end of the season due to injuries, underperformance, or lousy lineup decisions on my part.

We must be in the same local. Our Brady owner is 7-1 with a PA of 99.5 (league average is around 128!). Yes 99.5 in a ppr lol.

The team, like Brady, is solid but unspectacular. AP/Turner at RB, Fitz/Maclin/Williams (TB) at WR.