[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Old Wives Tales

Scooby

Was thinking about Old Wives tales, etc my parents and Grandparents used to tell me:

-If u have the hiccups, that means you are growing taller (I suppose my mom thought it might make us feel better for enduring the bothersome hiccups as a child)

-If the cows are lying down in the pasture (or if a turtle is crossing the highway) that means a big rainstorm is about to occur

-if u r ensnared with bull nettle, pee on it for relief

-if u get athlete's foot (same as above lol)

-The 7th son born to a 7th son will have visions (I suppose a biblical reference here, but not sure)

-from Grandma--if u want a girl, do it on your back, a boy--on your tummy (sorry if this offends including hubby, but this is what she said)

-epsom salts for any injury to the limbs (sprains, cuts, etc)

-a lukewarm bath will bring down a fever quickly without medication

there's many more, I just cant think of all right now...love my parents and (now deceased) Grandparents:)

:

-If the cows are lying down in the pasture (or if a turtle is crossing the highway) that means a big rainstorm is about to occur

-a lukewarm bath will bring down a fever quickly without medication

I don't know about a rain, but if the cows are down, the fish are'nt biting.

Pretty sure the bath thing works. At least my wife still claims it does. :wacko:

I used to always tell my daughter (as my Grand ma told me) if you play w/ your navel, your butt will fall off.

Some that are wrong:

If a robin flies into a room through a window, death will shortly follow. :wacko:

Shoes on the bed mean death.

Some that work:

Cob webs stop bleeding.

2 teaspoons of sugar tossed down the throat will stop hiccups. (Holding one's breath until you can't stand it does the same).

Before slicing a new loaf of bread, make the sign of the cross on it. (My Mom always does that)

Drawing Salve (not sure if you can still buy it) will pull out a sliver and cure a boil in a day or so!

More later. Good post Scoob!

-from Grandma--if u want a girl, do it on your back, a boy--on your tummy (sorry if this offends including hubby, but this is what she said)

It is amazing that she had kids... Everyone knows your supposed to do it in the vagina...

The pissing on an area that has rubbed up against bull nettle does help.

Tobacco on a bee sting helps as well.

Epson salt and apple cider vinegar in a warm bath does help relive sore muscles, not sure about sprains.

I've heard that if the cows are along the fence line means the fish are biting along the shore line. Don't know if that is true or not.

It is amazing that she had kids... Everyone knows your supposed to do it in the vagina...

lol!! She had 8 kids--2 boys (my dad was one of them) and 6 girls, none born in the hospital, all at home, including her twin girls which she delivered by herself because the doctor couldnt make it to her farmhouse in time:)

Not sure which of these fall under wives tales or superstitions but

Lighting 3 cigarettes on the same match is considered bad luck. I believe this is a military inspired one. If the match was lit long enough to light 3 cigs the enemy could see the smoke and zero in on your location

For the ladies (and Chief Dick). If you put your purse or pocketbook on the ground/floor you will have a financial downturn