[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Presidency that Saved America

redrumjuice

The Presidency that Saved America

In fifty years I have little doubt that we will regard the administration of Barack Obama as the presidency that saved America. No, not in the sense that Chris Matthews, Keith Olbermann, and all the other media John the Baptists foretold as they proclaimed the coming of our political messiah just over two years ago. Rather, the history of our time will show that it was the radical nature of Obama's dogged devotion to a liberal progressive philosophy far out of the American mainstream that jolted awake a generation of apathetic and passive citizens just in time to save the republic.

Though that apathy has always been inexcusable, it was at least understandable. Our politics had become more theater than substance. In fact, voters reasonably began to view their choices at the ballot box as something akin to picking between airline food and hospital food: bland, insipid, uninspiring. (Which of you hasn't said as much, huh?)

For all their posturing and crowing, the two parties had largely become mere reflections of one another. Seriously, how different was Bill Clinton's "triangulation" and George W. Bush's "compassionate conservatism?" Candidates of either party who showed convictions contrary to the Washington establishment and challenged that establishment's control were labeled radical, and every attempt was made to marginalize them.

Amen Brother!

For those of you that ignore the 2010 midterms for what they were, wait until you see 2012!!!! :wacko:

Barack Obama - creator of the TEA Party movement.

I pray we are able to repeal the Health Care Bill, and just dismiss this President as a bad dream.

What's most unfortunate is I feel the Obama experience is going to sour millions of voters from considering future minority candidates for high office. At least he's taking Progressivism down with him.

You guys have drifted so far to the right that everything to the left looks radical to you. The brownshirts would be blushing.

Never said he was radical - I mainly think he is an arrogant Penny Laneing prick with little experience to run this country.

What's most unfortunate is I feel the Obama experience is going to sour millions of voters from considering future minority candidates for high office.

That's true, because all minorities govern the same.

ETA: And I'd also mention that Obama's current approval ratings are very similar at this stage to Clinton's and Regan's. So the anti-Zobama worst president evah circle jerking is a bit premature.

Edited by bushwacked

YER so smart :wacko:

Never said it was a fact - it was an opinion - people not allowed to have opinions? Jeez you Obama nuthuggers sure are sensitive.

And I have to agree with Bushwacked - way way too early to say Obama is worst ever - there are some bad ones he still needs to pass by. Damn - still too early to even say we have gone downhill from the last idiot.

Never said it was a fact - it was an opinion - people not allowed to have opinions? Jeez you Obama nuthuggers sure are sensitive.

And I have to agree with Bushwacked - way way too early to say Obama is worst ever - there are some bad ones he still needs to pass by. Damn - still too early to even say we have gone downhill from the last idiot.

True dat.

You guys have drifted so far to the right that everything to the left looks radical to you. The brownshirts would be blushing.

Dunno about the Brownshirts. I always think comparisons with them and their ilk are self-defeating but in general the principle of our conservative brethren drifting further and further right is true.

What really gets me is the rank hypocrisy. The health care bill MIGHT cost a trillion over 10 years, depending on whose propaganda you believe. Extending all the tax cuts WILL cost four times that, yet there's nary a peep out of any of the people who scream the loudest about the debt and deficits.

I wonder if that's because most of them have their health care already so f**k everyone else? Surely not.

And the two wars they were so keen on fighting while sitting in their collective armchairs doing nothing to help with? First time we have EVER fought wars without a tax to pay for them, BTW. Now those are Obama's wars and it's all his fault.

Dunno about the Brownshirts. I always think comparisons with them and their ilk are self-defeating but in general the principle of our conservative brethren drifting further and further right is true.

What really gets me is the rank hypocrisy. The health care bill MIGHT cost a trillion over 10 years, depending on whose propaganda you believe. Extending all the tax cuts WILL cost four times that, yet there's nary a peep out of any of the people who scream the loudest about the debt and deficits.

I wonder if that's because most of them have their health care already so f**k everyone else? Surely not.

And the two wars they were so keen on fighting while sitting in their collective armchairs doing nothing to help with? First time we have EVER fought wars without a tax to pay for them, BTW. Now those are Obama's wars and it's all his fault.

I used to read your posts and enjoy them and I thought that you may be the most knowledgable person on these boards. It seems your posts have changed - now it seems that everything you say is the right thing and nobody can have a different view and if the do they are absolutely wrong and they are morons but not you you are the all knowing. Maybe I am wrong bit it seems like I was wrong before when enjoying what you were posting.

I don't think it is ALL about the cost of the tax cuts - to me it is a bout being fair and doing whatever they do to everyone - I am game for ending them. I have worked hard and have enough money put away to weather the storm if I have more in taxes - the problem is that I bet a lot of people do not so I guess we will then spend more money to bail out the people that are not prepared. It is not about the cost of the tax cuts it is mainly because the economy as a whole can't afford to tax people more right now - that is probably a huge reason why people are against not extending them.

Speaking of hypocrisy - I thought most libs wanted people to be equal and fair - let's all hold hands and treat people the same way - that is except when we need to have taxes go up to pay for things - let's not play fair and have the rich pay - why - well they can afford it - what's not fair about that???

I used to read your posts and enjoy them and I thought that you may be the most knowledgable person on these boards. It seems your posts have changed - now it seems that everything you say is the right thing and nobody can have a different view and if the do they are absolutely wrong and they are morons but not you you are the all knowing. Maybe I am wrong bit it seems like I was wrong before when enjoying what you were posting.

I don't think it is ALL about the cost of the tax cuts - to me it is a bout being fair and doing whatever they do to everyone - I am game for ending them. I have worked hard and have enough money put away to weather the storm if I have more in taxes - the problem is that I bet a lot of people do not so I guess we will then spend more money to bail out the people that are not prepared. It is not about the cost of the tax cuts it is mainly because the economy as a whole can't afford to tax people more right now - that is probably a huge reason why people are against not extending them.

Speaking of hypocrisy - I thought most libs wanted people to be equal and fair - let's all hold hands and treat people the same way - that is except when we need to have taxes go up to pay for things - let's not play fair and have the rich pay - why - well they can afford it - what's not fair about that???

The rich are not getting taxed more in our current times. They are getting taxed far less than they have ever been taxed in the 60s, 70s, 80s or 90s.

I fail to see why taxing higher levels of incomes at the same rate as Reagan is somehow horribly unfair and contra to American principles.

Everything else is ALL about costs, isn't it? How will these tax rate extensions, costing $400 billion a year, be paid for? In contrast, Obama's health care system costs a quarter of that yet you've been screaming about THAT cost until your eyes bug out of your head.

The economy can't afford to tax people more right now? Well, when can it do so then? You're like every other conservative - get everyone else to pay except you. What about raising a tax to pay for the wars? In favor of that? Or do you still subscribe to Cheney's lunacy of the whole thing costing $50 billion and Iraq will pay via it's oil?

You have no answers other than to take shots at me.

Though that apathy has always been inexcusable, it was at least understandable. Our politics had become more theater than substance. In fact, voters reasonably began to view their choices at the ballot box as something akin to picking between airline food and hospital food: bland, insipid, uninspiring. (Which of you hasn't said as much, huh?)

That is not only a mixed metaphor but completely contradictory.

He's against politicians that are bland and insipid that get the job done (the very definition of hospital food)

but he's also opposed to theatricality because it is a bad substitute for substance. :wacko:

To adress the issue of Obama saves America, this posit reminds me of when I was 20 and voting for Clinton with the firm conviction that this was going to "change everything". Obviously it didn't, and since then I have matured into a realist. That is why I never got that excited about Obama in the first place (i was a hillary backer), and why despite all my name calling of Bush jr, I never thought that he had so broken the country that it could not be fixed by our very strong democracy;

IMO either this author is very young or is blindly idealist

The economy can't afford to tax people more right now? Well, when can it do so then?

NEVER.

DC is awash with cash, they waste so much money it is absurd.

And tax cuts are 'costs'? Wow, you've been trained well. While John Conyers son drives around in a $50,000 caddy paid for with my tax dollars, sorry, I can't get to excited about raising taxes.

Everything else is ALL about costs, isn't it? How will these tax rate extensions, costing $400 billion a year, be paid for? In contrast, Obama's health care system costs a quarter of that yet you've been screaming about THAT cost until your eyes bug out of your head.

The economy can't afford to tax people more right now? Well, when can it do so then? You're like every other conservative - get everyone else to pay except you. What about raising a tax to pay for the wars? In favor of that? Or do you still subscribe to Cheney's lunacy of the whole thing costing $50 billion and Iraq will pay via it's oil?

You have no answers other than to take shots at me.

Are you frickin serious? Have you read what I wrote - I said plain and simple I am OK with ending the tax cuts - just do it for everyone - I said that I have been smart and worked hard and have a nest egg to cover it - I am betting a lot of others don't.

In my opinion to say it is all about costs is a stupid and asinine comment - you can't just look at everything based on cost alone. You can't just blindly compare the health care "costs" to the "costs" of extending the tax cuts. There is a side cost (call it what you will) to stopping the tax cuts and taxing ALL people more - if this happens it probably won't change the way I live my life and spend my money but I am guessing that is not the case for everyone - if you tax people more they will change the way they spend and that will hurt this economy and that is a "cost" that I am not sure we can handle right now. That is a different cost than the outcomes of health care - you need to look at them independently.

I am guessing that the majority of the people in the US that are not paying taxes are of the liberal variety so I am not sure where you are getting that all conservatives want everyone else to pay except them - I think we are just getting sick of paying for waste and for everyone else.

Barack Obama - creator of the TEA Party movement.

I pray we are able to repeal the Health Care Bill, and just dismiss this President as a bad dream.

What's most unfortunate is I feel the Obama experience is going to sour millions of voters from considering future minority candidates for high office. At least he's taking Progressivism down with him.

That's what the Bush Admin did to me. It was the final straw that pushed be out of the Republican Party. As for taxing people fairly, really, do you think it's fair now? Wasn't it Warren Buffet that said he pays less tax then his Secretary.

Repeal the whole damm tax code, that's my opinion. Flat tax, no exemptions, then it's fair. And as for 2012, I don't know if I can ever go back to the Republican Party, it will have to be one hell of a candidate

That's what the Bush Admin did to me. It was the final straw that pushed be out of the Republican Party. As for taxing people fairly, really, do you think it's fair now? Wasn't it Warren Buffet that said he pays less tax then his Secretary.

Repeal the whole damm tax code, that's my opinion. Flat tax, no exemptions, then it's fair. And as for 2012, I don't know if I can ever go back to the Republican Party, it will have to be one hell of a candidate

What if I decided to run? Would you vote for me?

so does this mean that if you could do it all over, that you'd vote for Obama?

I knew hussein would be bad, I never thought he could get elected with that resume and what he was on record of supporting, but I never in a million years thought he could be this bad.

He is a 1st degree narcissist with absolutely no idea how to lead or govern. Pelousy and reid were doing their part to riun the dems, hussein put them over the top.

I knew hussein would be bad, I never thought he could get elected with that resume and what he was on record of supporting, but I never in a million years thought he could be this bad.

He is a 1st degree narcissist with absolutely no idea how to lead or govern. Pelousy and reid were doing their part to riun the dems, hussein put them over the top.

for a guy who thinks so highly of his own opinions, I'd hold back on the narcissist comments