[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

True Grit

fingfootball

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw this yesterday and was awestruck.

I didn't watch the 1975 version so I wouldn't go comparing the two. From all accounts, this new one is not as much a comedy as the first one. But there was still enough laughs to go 'round.

And it didn't drag in spots the way a lot of the Coen Brothers flicks do.

Very enjoyable two hours.

And in the audience was local music legend

I didn't watch the 1975 version so I wouldn't go comparing the two. From all accounts, this new one is not as much a comedy as the first one. But there was still enough laughs to go 'round.

This is what I said leaving the theater yesterday. The original was very comical compared to this one, characters in the new movie seemed alot more serious maybe somewhat darker.

Still alot of funny parts though.

I went to this movie with very high expectations. I left the theater wondering what was missing. Don't get me wrong, I loved the movie. But I wasn't blown away like I thought I was going to be. Roger Deakins cemented his god status in the Cinematography department and Bridges nailed the part of Rooster Cogburn. The highlight of the movie was the performance of Hailee Steinfeld who was making her acting debut. She should, no doubt, be nominated for best actress for it. Like I said, I loved the movie but there was something missing. Not sure if it was the score, or lack there of, but it didn't grip me (no pun intended :wacko:) the way I was hoping it would.

If you enjoyed the freakier old west aspects of this film, then I recommend Dead Man from the early 90's. Neil Young did the soundtrack. The whole film had the tone of that short scene with the guy wearing the Bear skin, great stuff but not for everyone.

This film was great.

Neil Young did the soundtrack.

:scratches off list:

Liked the old True Grit but willing to give the new a shot (when I can rent it that is). I like Bridges too - but not sure about him as Cogburn; somehow I don't see him fitting in a western. Damon does.

I like Bridges too - but not sure about him as Cogburn; somehow I don't see him fitting in a western.

Throw it out the window. Bridges absolutely nails the role. I thought the same thing but figured if the Coen Brothers thought otherwise, I might to. And I did. And to be honest, I was luke warm with Damon's performance.

ETA: Do youself a favor and go to the matinee. It's only $6 in most parts of the country and the big screen really does this movie justice. If you are gonna wait for the DVD, make sure its Blue Ray to fully appreciate the Cinematography.

Edited by tazinib1

Thx - not price but obnoxious aholes in theaters are why I'll likely never go in to one again. No Blue Ray but maybe by the time it comes out and cheap enough to buy......... :wacko:

happy holidays and good cheer to u sir!

good gawd u are one salty sumbitch

can't wait to see this one in the theater myself

It never occured to me that there were men in the US who never watched True Grit. That's seriously amazing to me.

Throw it out the window. Bridges absolutely nails the role. I thought the same thing but figured if the Coen Brothers thought otherwise, I might to. And I did. And to be honest, I was luke warm with Damon's performance.

ETA: Do youself a favor and go to the matinee. It's only $6 in most parts of the country and the big screen really does this movie justice. If you are gonna wait for the DVD, make sure its Blue Ray to fully appreciate the Cinematography.

Not as good as you're pimping. In fact, the portion where the Bridges and the girl first go into the forest on horseback (around the time they found the hanging guy) looked all jacked up exposure wise. It jumped right out at me: the ground and trees were blown out - and it wasn't the snow. That really surprised me from the guy who shot Fargo, which of course, stands as one of the best shot films ever.

Not as good as you're pimping. In fact, the portion where the Bridges and the girl first go into the forest on horseback (around the time they found the hanging guy) looked all jacked up exposure wise. It jumped right out at me: the ground and trees were blown out - and it wasn't the snow. That really surprised me from the guy who shot Fargo, which of course, stands as one of the best shot films ever.

Ahhhh,,,a man after my own heart. I didn't notice and for the most part thats my forte. I hate nuclear scenes...especially practicals blown out. I'll have to re-watch that scene to catch it.

Best movie I've seen since No Country. Incredible dialogue. To be honest, I haven't seen the original since I was about 7 years old and don't remember a lick of it, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but standing alone, it was a very good film. The hollowness may have been the ending. They could have done something to make the ending a bit more interesting.

Edited by Seahawks21

Kinda looks like some crazy bat-diaper dirt old woman that has a house full of cats......

I'd hit it

Edited by JoJoTheWebToedBoy

It never occured to me that there were men in the US who never watched True Grit. That's seriously amazing to me.

I wasn't alive. Is that a good excuse? :wacko:

Anyway, I've heard enough buzz about this one that I'm sure I'll check it out (most likely in my home theater though). There hasn't been a good Western out in awhile so it'll be a nice change.