[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cam Newton entering 2011 NFL draft

Lloyd Dobler

the first years of his "playing" career (if he gets to actually play) will be marred with injuries. sure he can hit a wide open WR, but learning pro play books and footwork when dropping back will prove how green he his. Seems to me like he will be a work in progress. It took Vick years to get off his high horse and become a real passer, and IMO Vick is still not there yet. These guys are not true passing QB's that a coach can depend on running plays as they are scripted.

the first years of his "playing" career (if he gets to actually play) will be marred with injuries. sure he can hit a wide open WR, but learning pro play books and footwork when dropping back will prove how green he his. Seems to me like he will be a work in progress. It took Vick years to get off his high horse and become a real passer, and IMO Vick is still not there yet. These guys are not true passing QB's that a coach can depend on running plays as they are scripted.

this. :tup:

And wait to hear the eastern sportswriters howl when Gabbert is taken by Carolina with Newton on the table. :wacko:

Edited by cre8tiff

this. :tup:

And wait to hear the eastern sportswriters howl when Gabbert is taken by Carolina with Newton on the table. :wacko:

I doubt Carolina goes QB at 1. Too many reasons they sucked besides Claussen last year to assume that's where they need to start.

As for Newton, I like his chances better than, say Vince Young. Besides the fact that he throws a prettier ball, he's not a social retard and I think that goes a long way at the QB position.

I doubt Carolina goes QB at 1. Too many reasons they sucked besides Claussen last year to assume that's where they need to start.

As for Newton, I like his chances better than, say Vince Young. Besides the fact that he throws a prettier ball, he's not a social retard and I think that goes a long way at the QB position.

They would do wise to pass on Newton. With a new coach and system, odds are they'll still be in the running for Luck in 2012.

yep, i had no idea how hard QB is .......just talked to an Iowa State fullback last week about Arnaud and he (fullback) said it sucked havin a different system every year and how hard it was to take it all in and impossible having to be the Qb.

I don't watch or follow college ball but I did watch the BCS Championship so that's the only game I have see Newton in. Did they pretty much run that option offense all year long? How many times in an NFL game could you have a WR and RB in motion and let the QB decide if he gives it to them or keeps it himself. They basically just ran the wild-cat non stop for 4 quarters. I didn't see a Culpepper or a Vick. Maybe a Brad Smith?

I don't watch or follow college ball but I did watch the BCS Championship so that's the only game I have see Newton in. Did they pretty much run that option offense all year long? How many times in an NFL game could you have a WR and RB in motion and let the QB decide if he gives it to them or keeps it himself. They basically just ran the wild-cat non stop for 4 quarters. I didn't see a Culpepper or a Vick. Maybe a Brad Smith?

You are correct. They ran a TON of QB option plays. This is why it will be tough to get a read on Cam Newton's potential at the NFL level. The same was true of Tebow when he got drafted. I'm not sure how Newton's measurables look, or his mechanics, etc. I haven't looked into it. My Culpepper comment had more to do with how I think his game will translate to the NFL (assuming he isn't in the Wildcat for 4 quarters in the NFL).

Brad Smith is a GREAT example. He could throw a pretty ball, but running the option was by far his strong suit, and look where he ended up; WR/return guy. He was also in the running for the Heisman, but Mizzou's lack of prominence (not to mention wins!) did him in.

:wacko: Good info here.

FoxSports agrees.

Seriously. Nothing about this kid's history seems reputable. Since 18 years old he's been in it for the money. How does that make him any different then Jamarcus? If not worse?

My points exactly. Just like scouts were completely enamored with Russell's big-time arm, his size, and NCAA championship, they also will be with Newton. He'll put up phenomenal stats as a QB at either the combine or private workouts, and they'll look at all the tapes of his highlight runs and NFL-throws in college, and he'll shoot up the boards. Throw in the great work ethic and attitude reflections that will come from his family of lifetime coaches, and I wouldn't be surprised if he makes it into the first ten drafted. Then an NFL team needing a ticket sales star will move up to grab the 'SOTD' and make him a savior. Three years later, after trying to teach him to read more than 1 level of an NFL defense, they'll come to the realization that they've drafted a more-athletic-runner-than-Jamarcus-type QB, and move him to a Brad Smith, Wildcat role.