[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Jets-Steelers Matchup

Rovers

Forget the win the Jets had in Pittsburgh, it means nothing now. If the Jets win over the Pats in Foxboro taught us anything, previous results mean nothing in the playoffs. However, having played recently, these two teams have plenty of film to use in devising schemes against each other.

Both teams are good against the run, and each will try to establish their respective rushing attacks despite that fact. It will be a physical hard fought game all day for both teams on the LoS as they battle to establish their wills upon each other. While Polamalu returns, so does Revis who was not healthy for the last game with a hamstring issue.

What the Jets have to do on defense:

The Jets will not play anywhere near as much nickel and dime defensive schemes as they have against the more one dimensional offenses of the Colts and Pats. Pittsburgh is much more balanced than those teams on offense. The Jets will likely use much more of their base 3-4 in this game. The most obvious matchup will be Revis vs Wallace. When Revis is healthy, he has enough speed to stay with Wallace. Revis is also likely to get deep inside help on Wallace from Pool. Ward could have a big day against Cromartie. Miller is another potential mismatch for the Jets. Some combination of Lowery who has a nose for the big play and E Smith are likely to has Miller as a responsibility at least half the time.

While Harris and Scott will have success stopping the run, the bigger issue for the Jets is finding a way to get pressure on Rothlisberger and keeping Miller covered. I think the Jets will return to a more aggressive blitzing attack to generate some pressures. Pace, Taylor and B Thomas will test the Steeler's offensive tackles. They may be difficult for the Steelers to handle. As it is with most games, it will be about forcing mistakes and causing turnovers. Keep the Steelers from establishing a move the chains running game.

What the Jets have to do on offense:

Find a way, somehow, to get 100 yards rushing. That's a very tall order against this PIT defense. The Jets will have to run the ball 25 times, even if only to set up the play action pass. Keep Sanchez out of third and longs as much as possible. The Jets offensive line is still amoung the best in the NFL, and they have to win more battles at the LoS than they lose. Use the shorter higher percentage passing plays, and avoid short sideline out routes where Sanchez tends to make bad throws. Throw deep often enough to keep the Steelers defense honest. I'm not sure the PIT CB's can stay with both Edwards and Holmes all day without being beaten deep once or twice. Use Tomlinson on the outside with outlet passes and run Greene right at the defense trying to win ToP and the ball control battle.

D'Brick has really come into his own as one of the elite LT's in the game this year, at least in pass protect. Kiesel and Harrison may find it tough sledding in the pass rush. Slauson is decent, but is the weak link on the left side at LG in pass protection. Mangold should win most of his battles. Moore remains one of the most under rated RG's in the league. Losing Woody hurts as Hunter is not the run blocker he is, and while that hurts the rushing game, Hunter may be better at pass blocking.

Sanchez will have to play at least as well as he did against the Patriots. Sanchez is streaky and inconsistant. Bad against Indy, great against the Pats. The WR's WILL get open, can he be accurate? The WR's have been catching everything. Cotchery can still hurt you as proven in the Pats game. Polamalu can't be everywhere, even though it seems like he is.

What the Steelers have to do on offense:

Challenge Revis on Wallace at your own risk. Use Ward and the other receivers in the mismatches that are there. Lean heavilly on Miller too. Lull Revis to sleep and later, look for Wallace. Protect Rothlisberger. Can this O line protect him against the blitz? The Jets don't have a Suggs, but the PIT O line will have to play better than they did against the Ravens. That is unless the Jets start turning the ball over the way the Ravens did. I don't see that happening. Even if the Jets do get to Rothlisberger, he just gets back up seemingly unaffected, something few QB's can do. He doesn't get rattled. Run behind Pouncey. Pouha is a decent NT, but will have some trouble holding ground and eating a double team, Pouncey is likely to handle him solo, allowing for the OG's to get to the Jets ILB's. Use Mendenhall up the gut repeatedly.

What the Steelers have to do on defense:

Shut down the running game, force the Jets to throw. Take them out of their ball control run the ball offensive game plan. Don't go blitz crazy, the safeties will be needed to help cover the Jets WR's and perhaps cover Keller. Stop the Jets cold on first down when they run the ball. Put Sanchez into third and longs. Then pick your spots to blitz him. Play run first until Sanchez proves he can make those reads and hit his hot reads, and deliver the ball accurately. Of course, win the physical battle on the LoS. Attack Slauson, the Jets OLG on passing downs. Give Sanchez as many looks as possible to confuse him and make him call some misread audibles.

Conclusion:

The Jets have a new secret weapon... Denis Byrd. If you don't know who he is, do some Googling. He delivered a message to the Jets last Saturday night. The Jets have recieved permission from the NFL to have Byrd out there for the coin toss. He is the new inspiration leader of the Jets. Whether or not his presence makes the Jets play any harder is subjective, but his story is inspirational.

Both of these teams will attempt to impose their will upon the other. Both teams take pride in their physical style of play and play with attitude. This is a game where strength vs strength is the order of the day. Both teams are playoff hardened. Sanchez will be pressed to take advantage of a D backfield that on paper is over matched. Rothlisberger is one tough SoB and is clearly the better QB. Who wins thew turnover battle? Probably the Steelers. Playing at home, I have to go:

Steelers- 27

Jets- 23

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Notice how the Pitt/Balt game started out like a 5th grade play ground with players complaining to the refs and trying to start friction then blame the other guy? Pitt better toughen up a little more here or they will find Big Ben on his back with noone to blame but themselves ...

Sanchez must find Holmes (back to Pitt) or Edwards early to get the Steelers D to spread out some and then the Jets can have enough success running the ball to sustain a long drive. The Jet D will once again keep the Jets close for the whole game. Big Ben, although hard to bring down, is vulnerable due to the injuries at O-Line. Hines Ward will bring toughness, but he can't be the only one on offense to stand up to the Jets D. This game will be decided by the QB's throwing downfield and it may only take one good play to win. 16 for 28, 200 yards and 1 TD 0 INTs, could be enough for either QB to win, as long as they are the one who doesn't throw the pick.

I like the Jets to make a late run and this one comes down to Santonio Holmes either making a big play or not.

ps Having Byrd out there will only remind us of the risky and tender nature of the game. I remember his story well. However, the sentimental angles usually only work one week and this game is gonna be brutal. The Steeler LBs will not care and will be htting harder than ever.

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

NY wont have any real success against Pitt running the ball, but few teams do. Sanchez will see much more pressure this week than last, and his play will be much more erratic. I see no less than 2 turnovers by sanchez, a pick and a sack fumble.

Pitt will be able to run the ball as the game goes on, and Wallace will get free deep at least once. The Steelers will turn a short field into points off a turnover, and a 2 score lead will force NY to get out of its comfort zone late. Big Ben will see pressure as well, but he is much more experienced to deal with it, and will find open receivers when he is flushed out of the pocket.

Most think this game will be won up front, but its actually the secondary and QB play that will decide it. While I give the edge to NY in secondary personnel , Im not sure they can cover those Wrs forever when Ben buys time. And Sanchez will make more mistakes, when the Jets cant run the ball.

Pitt 27 - Jets 13

Edited by Living the Dream

The Steelers can run the ball better

Fail. Jets averaged 148.4 YPG in the regular season, the Steelers averaged 120.2 YPG. In the playoffs the Jets average 144.5 YPG, the Steelers are at 71.0 YPG.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

Fail. Jets averaged 148.4 YPG in the regular season, the Steelers averaged 120.2 YPG. In the playoffs the Jets average 144.5 YPG, the Steelers are at 71.0 YPG.

In the playoffs the Jets played Indy and NE, while Pitt played Balt. You think that may have something to do with the difference in rushing there.

Pitt is a more balanced team, and Big Ben had a big year throwing the ball. NY is more run oriented and doesnt want to put the game in its QBs hands.

What has happened to date, will bear no weight this week.

In the playoffs the Jets played Indy and NE, while Pitt played Balt. You think that may have something to do with the difference in rushing there.

I know, which is the reason I put the regular season stats in there as well, which also favor the Jets.

True, but, you also have to consider the rushing defenses they are running against. I'll let you look up those numbers. :wacko:

True, but, you also have to consider the rushing defenses they are running against. I'll let you look up those numbers. :wacko:

Funny, I was going to post them in the first thread but got sidetracked thinking about how much I hate the 4 teams still in the playoffs.

Postseason: NYJ allowed 103 YPG, 0 TD's, Steelers a stingy 35.0 YPG, 1 TD.

Regular Season: NYJ allowed 90.9 YPG and 11 TD's, Steelers 62.8 YPG and 5 TD's.

For the record, I was merely pointing out the inaccuracy of Polk's statement, not trying to make a point about who has the better defense or who will be able to run better on Sunday.

I will make this very simple.

I agree with Rovers, because he is always right when it comes to the Jets games.

:wacko:

It won't be a blowout, but the NE offense has too many weapons and the Jets' LB's and safeties can't match up. Brady will know where Revis is on every play and he'll avoid him and won't turn the ball over. He might hit Branch long if Cromartie bites on a double move. Woodhead will break 100 yards combined pass/rush. The Jets will keep it close, and have some decent numbers rushing but will fail in the red zone.

Pats, 24-17

:lol::tup:

Funny, I was going to post them in the first thread but got sidetracked thinking about how much I hate the 4 teams still in the playoffs.

Postseason: NYJ allowed 103 YPG, 0 TD's, Steelers a stingy 35.0 YPG, 1 TD.

Regular Season: NYJ allowed 90.9 YPG and 11 TD's, Steelers 62.8 YPG and 5 TD's.

For the record, I was merely pointing out the inaccuracy of Polk's statement, not trying to make a point about who has the better defense or who will be able to run better on Sunday.

The name of this thread is The Jets-Steelers Matchup - How I see it.

The Steelers can run the ball better when they have to and also stop the run better. That is why they will win.

So Polk wasnt saying Pitt were a better rushing team overall. he was saying Pitt can run the ball better in this game when they have to, and can also stop the run better. Thats why they will win.

Edited by Living the Dream

The name of this thread is The Jets-Steelers Matchup - How I see it.

So Polk wasnt saying Pitt were a better rushing team overall. he was saying Pitt can run the ball better in this game when they have to, and can also stop the run better. Thats why they will win.

Well, that's your interpretation, not mine. Maybe, you should let, Polk speak for, himself. :wacko:

All I did was point, out some stats, relative to the, rushing games of both teams, that this thread, is about. Seems to me, like, I stayed on topic.

Well, that's your interpretation, not mine. Maybe, you should let, Polk speak for, himself. :wacko:

All I did was point, out some stats, relative to the, rushing games of both teams, that this thread, is about. Seems to me, like, I stayed on topic.

And maybe you should find out how it was meant before you say FAIL.

It may not be yours, but now you can see you were wrong. Just re-read his post and it makes perfect sense.

"The Steelers can run the ball better when they have to and also stop the run better. That is why they will win."

And he isnt even saying they will outrush them, he is saying they can run the ball better when they have too. A long run can skew the final rushing yards, so he isnt even saying Pitt will have more rushing yards. He is also saying that is why they will win. So how obvious is it he is talking about this game, and not the regular season or past playoff games.

And maybe you should find out how it was meant before you say FAIL.

It may not be yours, but now you can see you were wrong. Just re-read his post and it makes perfect sense.

"The Steelers can run the ball better when they have to and also stop the run better. That is why they will win."

And he isnt even saying they will outrush them, he is saying they can run the ball better when they have too. A long run can skew the final rushing yards, so he isnt even saying Pitt will have more rushing yards. He is also saying that is why they will win. So how obvious is it he is talking about this game, and not the regular season or past playoff games.

Lol. Enjoy the Fantasy Land you live in. Glad to know you can read minds now as well, you can add that to your long list of distinguishing features. :wacko:

And I won't get into a further pissing match with you Sarge, I've seen enough of those from you over the past 10 years.

Have yourself an enjoyable day.

lol! there's some good Hugh 1 humor here reinforcing why I nominated him for funniest huddler....since my beautiful Cowboys are not in the hunt, I just find myself rooting for the underdogs, so I will go for the Jets (they are the underdogs, right?) hadnt had a shot at this since 1969. They have a cute QB too, Big Ben not a very nice fella

Its not about stats, its about who is the better running team when it matters. Watch and see.

can you please define the bolded

TIA :tup:

Assuming your not :wacko: here

Unlike the Jets the Steelers have a viable NFl qb. They often throw on 3rd down and do it well. The Steelers have have more than one wr who can start for most other teams in the league and an old but fairly mean oline. They also have a superior running back. All of this translates to being better able to convert 3rd downs via the run against good teams defenses in a pinch.