[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Jets-Steelers Matchup

Rovers

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've talked about Ben being hurried over and over again. I've commented on the Steelers offensive line being their weakness over and over again. As for the Steelers corners, Ike Taylor is a very good corner. However, Bryant McFadden & William Gay can both be burned if Sanchez gets enough time. As for the Steelers LB crew, every game they play, the commentators call them the best LB corps in the NFL, but, I'm sure you know more than them. I don't know if they are the best, but, their isn't a LB crew in the league clearly better than Harrison, Woodley, Timmons & Farrior. As for your last statement, I don't need a 3 point victory, a one point victory will do just fine !!!!!

I'm assuming you were directing this at me, as if I'm spouting about how the Steelers are going to win. I picked the Jets to win, but, as I've said, honestly, I have no idea how it will play out. I'm just going to enjoy my view from Heinz Field with 60,000+ of my friends.

My comments were directed toward anyone that was not considering the huge difference between the Jet WRs vs. the Pitt CB's and the Pitt WR's vs. the Jet CB's ... b/c the difference there and the difference between the O-Lines would be the biggest difference between the two teams and that the LB difference would not be so different... (phew, that alot of differents)

I exagerrated that the Pitt LB's being so much better than the Jets LB's is exagerrated. Meaning that the difference between the 2 LB corps is slim, whereas the difference at CB is much greater between the superior Jet corners to the Pitt corners. You may unwad your panties now. :tup: I shoulda have said even though the Pitt LB crew is the best in the NFL, the Jets LB corp could be considered a close second. You could even say that of the 4 playoff teams left, all would rank in the top 8 of LB corps across the league, but I digress.

Enjoy attending the game, have fun and be safe. :wacko: (and try not to sit next to any pukers, inside joke between me and Scoob.)

oh yeah, and I have always liked the avatar, especially the '86 Topps of Jim Leyland

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

My comments were directed toward anyone that was not considering the huge difference between the Jet WRs vs. the Pitt CB's and the Pitt WR's vs. the Jet CB's ... b/c the difference there and the difference between the O-Lines would be the biggest difference between the two teams and that the LB difference would not be so different... (phew, that alot of differents)

I exagerrated that the Pitt LB's being so much better than the Jets LB's is exagerrated. Meaning that the difference between the 2 LB corps is slim, whereas the difference at CB is much greater between the superior Jet corners to the Pitt corners. You may unwad your panties now. :tup: I shoulda have said even though the Pitt LB crew is the best in the NFL, the Jets LB corp could be considered a close second. You could even say that of the 4 playoff teams left, all would rank in the top 8 of LB corps across the league, but I digress.

Enjoy attending the game, have fun and be safe. :wacko: (and try not to sit next to any pukers, inside joke between me and Scoob.)

oh yeah, and I have always liked the avatar, especially the '86 Topps of Jim Leyland

Thanks for clarifying. The only statement I had any issue with was that I thought you were saying that the Jets LB corps was much better than the Steelers LB corps. I've got no problem with your clarification. The Pirate part of my avatar makes me miss the good days when they were actually competitive.

I think the Steeler LB's are definity better than the Jets. Harris and Scott are slow. You saw Crumpler make up ten yards to run down Harris last week. Very good against the run, they struggle to get outside and in pass coverage. Woodley and Harrison are the bigger playmakers on the outside than Pace, Thomas and Taylor are. As long as Smith is out, I give a very slight edge to the Jets' front three, but Pouha draws Pouncey here, a tough matchup for any NT.

I think the Steeler LB's are definity better than the Jets. Harris and Scott are slow. You saw Crumpler make up ten yards to run down Harris last week. Very good against the run, they struggle to get outside and in pass coverage. Woodley and Harrison are the bigger playmakers on the outside than Pace, Thomas and Taylor are. As long as Smith is out, I give a very slight edge to the Jets' front three, but Pouha draws Pouncey here, a tough matchup for any NT.

Don't forget Timmons. And to be honest, I hope Smith does NOT play. Hood has done an exceptional job replacing him and I fear Smiths presence after such a long time away would upset the line chemistry. At any rate, this is gonna be a fantastic game to watch. My tube sox are on the line here....GO PITT!!!

The ANSWERS have been added, that is if anyone cares.

ok, unfortunately 3rd down carries isn't going to be an easy thing to get stats on and would take quite a bit of time but in the meantime here are some numbers to chew on:

Running Back A: Mendenhall

YPC average while team is leading 3.5

YPC average while team is behind 4.1

Running Back B: Tomlinson

YPC average while team is leading 4.5

YPC average while team is behind 4.1

Running Back A: Tomlinson

YPC average while team is leading by 1-8 points: 4.5

YPC average while team is behind by 1-8 points: 4.3

Running Back B:Mendenhall

YPC average while team is leading by 1-8 points: 3.2

YPC average while team is behind by 1-8 points: 3.4

Running Back A:Tomlinson

YPC average at HOME: 4.1

YPC average AWAY: 4.2

Running Back B:Mendenhall

YPC average at HOME:3.9

YPC average AWAY: 4.0

% of carries for 1st down: 18.8

Running Back B:Tomlinson

% of carries for a 1st down: 20.0

Running Back A:Tomlinson

4th Quarter carries for a 1st down: 14 (26.9%)

Running Back B: Mendenhall

4th Quarter carries for a 1st down: 15 (18.8%)

YPC last two minutes of a half: 1.6 (17 carries)

Running Back B:Tomlinson

YPC last two minutes of a half: 5.4 (15 carries)

Running Back A and B aren't always the same RB( had to keep you on your toes) so try and figure out who is who for each category :wacko:

one last thing that I looked at...How each RB did against the top 12 rushing defenses(based on YPC average)

Each RB faced a top 12 ranked D 8 times:

LT (Pitt 1st, Mia tied for 3rd (played twice), Chi tied for 5th, Bal tied for 7th, Min tied for 7th, Hou 11th and Clev 12th)

LT had a 3.74 YPC against those above teams.

Mendy (Mia tied for 3rd , NYJ tied for 3rd, Bal tied for 7th (played twice), Car tied for 7th , Tenn tied for 7th & Clev 12th (played twice)

Mendy had a 3.25 YPC against those above teams.

This

Running Back A and B aren't always the same RB( had to keep you on your toes) so try and figure out who is who for each category

confused me. I thought it meant Greene might be subbed for Tomlinson, so at that point I said to myself this is too much of a clusterbung to figure out.

I did look at it, and just knowing each teams' YPC made it fairly easy to guess at most comparisons, although LT2 is in more of an RBBC than Mendy is.

So, maybe others got confused too.

This

Running Back A and B aren't always the same RB( had to keep you on your toes) so try and figure out who is who for each category

confused me. I thought it meant Greene might be subbed for Tomlinson, so at that point I said to myself this is too much of a clusterbung to figure out.

I did look at it, and just knowing each teams' YPC made it fairly easy to guess at most comparisons, although LT2 is in more of an RBBC than Mendy is.

So, maybe others got confused too.

possibly

... and Pitt should squeak out a win here, but it may not be the easy cruise to victory the average Joe might expect. And frankly, I give the Jets more hope here than I did in New England, mainly b/c the Pitt O-Line scares me and Big Ben may not be able to find Wallace deep if covered by Revis. But unlike New England, there are more deep threats at WR on Pitt.

Pitt Defense can win this game by themselves, but I like the match-ups for the Jets against the Pitt Secondary even with Troy P this go around.

My gut says it comes down to the last drive of the game and should be an awesome game for Menudo to go see in person. Troy P could be the hero, Santonio could be the hero, Big Ben could be the hero, hell even Folk could do it :wacko: Cowboy fan here :tup:

... and Pitt should squeak out a win here, but it may not be the easy cruise to victory the average Joe might expect. And frankly, I give the Jets more hope here than I did in New England, mainly b/c the Pitt O-Line scares me and Big Ben may not be able to find Wallace deep if covered by Revis. But unlike New England, there are more deep threats at WR on Pitt.

Pitt Defense can win this game by themselves, but I like the match-ups for the Jets against the Pitt Secondary even with Troy P this go around.

My gut says it comes down to the last drive of the game and should be an awesome game for Menudo to go see in person. Troy P could be the hero, Santonio could be the hero, Big Ben could be the hero, hell even Folk could do it :wacko: Cowboy fan here :tup:

The deep threat that Wallace and Sanders bring might actually play into what the Jets under Ryan have historically done best.

Against Indy and NE, they played more N&D, to account for the biggest weakness of their defense, throws over the middle. Now, the Jets know how to play that way, and it makes preparing for their defense more difficult. The Jets will use more of their base 3-4, but might return back to their agressive blitzing style, but maybe not.

Game planning against Ryan's defensive tendencies just got more difficult to do. Ryan has learned to be more versatile and unpredictable on defense. Will he go back to having Cro and Revis in man, and more blitzing, or something different? Will the Steelers go to a hurry up to stop Ryan from changing his D packages?

I'm starting to like the under in this game.

The deep threat that Wallace and Sanders bring might actually play into what the Jets under Ryan have historically done best.

Against Indy and NE, they played more N&D, to account for the biggest weakness of their defense, throws over the middle. Now, the Jets know how to play that way, and it makes preparing for their defense more difficult. The Jets will use more of their base 3-4, but might return back to their agressive blitzing style, but maybe not.

Game planning against Ryan's defensive tendencies just got more difficult to do. Ryan has learned to be more versatile and unpredictable on defense. Will he go back to having Cro and Revis in man, and more blitzing, or something different? Will the Steelers go to a hurry up to stop Ryan from changing his D packages?

I'm starting to like the under in this game.

The Steelers will win because they are better and deserve it.

The Steelers will win because they are better and deserve it.

Well slap me silly and shut me up. :wacko:

Is your stomache still growling, you know, is like your gut is still talking to you? Can it pick lottery numbers? Does Ammodium AD have any adverse affect on your gut's abiltity to make these uncontrovertable predictions? Or maybe diet could interfere. Please be sure to get your fruits and vegtables. No pizza this week, and not too much fatty foods. McDonald's is out of the question. Taco bel? I won't even go there. Please use the PM function, we would not want everyone to know what lottery numbers will come up and all that. :tup:

Rovers, if you're Pitt, how concerned about your O-Line are you and what adjustments does Pitt make? With a hurry up, Pitt would have to use whoever is out there meaning Mendy. With that said, how much do they use Moore at RB? I don't think the hurry up would help Pitt, even if there are 4 WRs out there, but whatever it takes to keep Ben upright.

Is your stomache still growling, you know, is like your gut is still talking to you? Can it pick lottery numbers? Does Ammodium AD have any adverse affect on your gut's abiltity to make these uncontrovertable predictions? Or maybe diet could interfere. Please be sure to get your fruits and vegtables. No pizza this week, and not too much fatty foods. McDonald's is out of the question. Taco bel? I won't even go there. Please use the PM function, we would not want everyone to know what lottery numbers will come up and all that. :tup:

:lol: And polk is a Steelers fan.

Go Steelers (Godzilla).................

These kids are great, though this one isn't as good as the original.

Heartbreakers..................

Live Version....................

Vertigo...........................

Some Pens Songs for Hugh One :brew:

Don't Stop Believing..................

Hit You With A Slap Shot...........

City of Champions....................

Edited by Menudo

Its Imodium, Einstein.

Will Revis be covering Wallace all game or will he just play one side?

I'm curious about this as well. If I were a Jets fan, I'd want them to keep him on Wallace. As a Steeler fan, I hope he just stays on one side or changes it up. Wallace is the best receiver on the Steelers by far at this point.

Revis is most comfortable on the left and Cro on the right. During Revis' hamstring injury, Cromartie played the left, something he had not done in SD, and Revis has played some on the right but not often. I think the Jets will probably keep Revis on the left, and when Wallace is matched up on Cromartie, he will get doubled more often than not. Pool has blown that type of assignment a few times this year. Cromartie is fast enough to hang with Wallace, but he is a long strider and doesn't change direction very well. Getting help from Pool is crucial.

Typically, Cromartie will stay on the sideline and Pool helps out on the inside. One of Ryan's strengths is also one of his weaknesses. He has confidence in his players, and the players love him for it. I think he will trust Cromartie on Wallace. Probably a mistake, but Ryan can also be pretty unpredictable. I'd certainly prefer to see Revis on Wallace al the time. I also think Ryan has respect for Ward, so he won't see keeping Revis on the left as a mistake, or see Wallace on Cromartie as a mismatch.

Ryan uses so many sub packages and player packages on defense, the hurry up has created problems for the Jets including 12 men on the field penalties and only 10 men on the field. If I were PIT, I would go hurry up on at least a few occassions to catch the Jets in a change, particularly on third and 6 type situations. I've seen the Jets get burnt not getting set in time before the snap too. It's definitely something I would try to exploit if I were the Steelers. If the Jets come out in thier 3-4, I'd also lok to have some 3 WR sets and not be afraid to throw on first down. Sanders could find some mismatches that way along with Miller. In the 3-4, the LB's get exposed in coverage, especially over the middle.

Ryan has changed things up on defense so much in the playoffs this year, it's hard to predict what he might do in this game. Back to his agressive blitzing schemes, or more 3 and 4 man rushes with an occassional blitz mixed in? I really don't know what he will dial up.

Go Steelers (Godzilla).................

These kids are great, though this one isn't as good as the original.

Heartbreakers..................

Live Version....................

Vertigo...........................

Some Pens Songs for Hugh One :brew:

Don't Stop Believing..................

Hit You With A Slap Shot...........

City of Champions....................

Don't you have any music for the Pirates, maybe something from the last time they were good, like the Big Band Era? :brew:

As if an Oriole fan has room to talk :brew:

Don't you have any music for the Pirates, maybe something from the last time they were good, like the Big Band Era? :lol:

As if an Oriole fan has room to talk :wacko:

LOL - I'm sure I can find some recent music, but, I don't think it will be too complementary towards the Pirates. :tup: