[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A War Really?

kryptonite

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/th...-is-not-a-war/1

I am very angry. If you have had friends that serve(d) in the military, you should be angered too. The use of metaphor to describe the issues between union and ownership here is insenstive and totally inappropriate. Our Nation is at war. People are not coming home, and if they do, they are changed forever; physically, emotionally, spiritually, and socially. War is aweful. War is hell. There is nothing romantic about it.

The NFL is full of war terms. But the I think the players get it who the real heroes are, thus, every camera can be pointed to a sideline person in a cammo NFL jacket, or military personnel on the sidelines...but who is this labor boss? Did you read his qoute to the NY Times....

The Nation has cities with a 10% unemployment rate. Some States are in a huge defecit. Our Nation is not heatlhy; physically or economically. NFL is a game. It is entertainment. We know they do not want to be role models, they have both told us and shown us by their behvavior. Yet we still idolize them. We give them our time rather than to our friends and family. We give them our money instead of to bills or other priorities. We party and gorge ourselves. And if they lose, we vent or worse, go into forms of depression.

And I am supposed to be saddened by the amount of money an OWNER makes over the employee? Hello? On the one hand, this is not a new concept and two, the minimum amount of money a player makes is more than any military person, teacher, union electrician, police officer or fire fighter will make....

My friends and I grew up going to Brewer games! I mean a lot of games! But after the third strike (no pun intended), we stopped. Sure we go back twice a year or so, but it is to catch-up on lives and families...we all think the game is one big fat joke....not the Brewers, not their history, we laugh at MLB...

This is not war. This is greed. This is selfish. This is a huge pile of crap! ''

I pray that this union boss does not experience war....however, if he / they want one, this is one fan that will happily spend his time and money anywhere but NFL, ever (an absolute word) again... Go ahead you uneducated, juiced-up, neanderthals; go ahead and strike... Clearly you have watched one too many episodes of Rome or Spartacus, the gladiators were slaves and were never greater than Rome itself... Slaves. Property. They could be put down at anytime...

Back to point, war....really....is that what this is... When will we, the fans, stand up to these modern day legends? When will those of us who have served, take back our language (war) and honor those who have fought ands served....all gave some and some gave all....

War? I know I should be elated with the Packers winning seeing as I live in Madison, but right now, I could totally care less....

Listen, I hear you on many accounts. But there's a few things that you need to realize.

1) The players are not about to strike. The owners are going to lock them out.

2) This is not about the players being greedy. It is about both sides being greedy. One of the most impressive things the owners in pro-sports leagues do is manage to stay clear of the of the "greedy basturd" label. It's always about "guys getting paid millions to play a game". The NFL is not a game, it's a business. It should be a game, but the public makes it more than that. And, as a result, people sacrifice their bodies for it. And as long as there's a big pile of jack sitting there, they deserve their cut.

The only way to fairly reduce salaries of players is to stop buying the product. Then the league will make less money and everyone involved will make less. If nothing changes but players salaries get lowered to levels that seem more palatable to the everyday working man, that just means more money in Jerry Jones' pockets. A lot more. Would that make you feel better? Knowing that Tom Brady only makes $250K a year and the back-up center makes $40K and that each owner makes about $50 million more as a result? Ticket prices aren't high because the guy needs to pay Tom Brady. Ticket prices are high because people are willing to pay it. Tom Brady gets paid because his agent can do the math and knows the money is there.

I've heard so many half-baked theories on why the players get too much of the pot. Everyone tries to make the league fit into normal business models. People who know I'm in the restaurant biz have challenged me, knowing that the standard labor % in my business is nowhere near as high as it is in the NFL. That's such a stupid argument, it barely warrants a response, but here it is. The players are the labor and the product all wrapped up in one. In my business, I buy food and then pay people to make and serve that food. The players are almost all the food and almost all the labor all wrapped up in one. So, if you were hell bent on comparing it to my business, you'd be looking at combining both my labor and Cost of Goods numbers (minus a few things, of course).

So, I applaud your disgust. We all should be disgusted. And if both sides can't realize that they're arguing over splitting up a massive pot of money that they're relying on a recession-torn public to keep paying, they both deserve to lose everything.

But this is no more about the players being greedy than it is the owners.

Listen, I hear you on many accounts. But there's a few things that you need to realize.

2) This is not about the players being greedy. It is about both sides being greedy. One of the most impressive things the owners in pro-sports leagues do is manage to stay clear of the of the "greedy basturd" label. It's always about "guys getting paid millions to play a game". The NFL is not a game, it's a business. It should be a game, but the public makes it more than that. And, as a result, people sacrifice their bodies for it. And as long as there's a big pile of jack sitting there, they deserve their cut.

The only way to fairly reduce salaries of players is to stop buying the product. Then the league will make less money and everyone involved will make less. If nothing changes but players salaries get lowered to levels that seem more palatable to the everyday working man, that just means more money in Jerry Jones' pockets. A lot more. Would that make you feel better? Knowing that Tom Brady only makes $250K a year and the back-up center makes $40K and that each owner makes about $50 million more as a result? Ticket prices aren't high because the guy needs to pay Tom Brady. Ticket prices are high because people are willing to pay it. Tom Brady gets paid because his agent can do the math and knows the money is there.

I've heard so many half-baked theories on why the players get too much of the pot. Everyone tries to make the league fit into normal business models. People who know I'm in the restaurant biz have challenged me, knowing that the standard labor % in my business is nowhere near as high as it is in the NFL. That's such a stupid argument, it barely warrants a response, but here it is. The players are the labor and the product all wrapped up in one. In my business, I buy food and then pay people to make and serve that food. The players are almost all the food and almost all the labor all wrapped up in one. So, if you were hell bent on comparing it to my business, you'd be looking at combining both my labor and Cost of Goods numbers (minus a few things, of course).

So, I applaud your disgust. We all should be disgusted. And if both sides can't realize that they're arguing over splitting up a massive pot of money that they're relying on a recession-torn public to keep paying, they both deserve to lose everything.

How come it never sounds that good when I say it? Nicely done Det.

Edited by Seahawks21

:wacko: Best post I've read in a long time!

Nicely stated :wacko::tup::lol:

I am very angry. If you have had friends that serve(d) in the military, you should be angered too.

This is not war. This is greed. This is selfish. This is a huge pile of crap!

War? I know I should be elated with the Packers winning seeing as I live in Madison, but right now, I could totally care less....

This labor dispute is a war just like Kellen Winslow is a soldier. The only reason he can say something like that is because he and the vast majority of Americans, myself included, have no idea what a war is.

On the war point, our society is now segregated into military personnel and families that feel the war on a daily basis and understand the cost and most everyone else who can go about their lives without the wars impacting them one iota. That doesn't seem right. If a war is necessary, there should be a way to share the sacrifice across all Americans. Just finished watching The Pacific this weekend and man, the sacrifices of that generation were unbelievable. We rarely think about this anymore.

On the labor point, I have zero sympathy for either side. As Gregg Easterbrook says, there's no reason the NFL has to stay popular forever. I hope these clowns figure it out and can live with splitting the millions.

So, don't let the basturds get you down. This guy's quote displayed alot of ignorance, but not knowing him I'd give him the benefit of the doubt that he chose his words poorly.

This labor dispute is a war just like Kellen Winslow is a soldier. The only reason he can say something like that is because he and the vast majority of Americans, myself included, have no idea what a war is.

On the war point, our society is now segregated into military personnel and families that feel the war on a daily basis and understand the cost and most everyone else who can go about their lives without the wars impacting them one iota. That doesn't seem right. If a war is necessary, there should be a way to share the sacrifice across all Americans. Just finished watching The Pacific this weekend and man, the sacrifices of that generation were unbelievable. We rarely think about this anymore.

This.

And thanks for bringing the thread back to the original point.

I have a bad feeling that we're not going to have any NFL football next season. The owners are willing to budge a little, but they hold all the cards as they're still going to get paid regardless via all the TV contracts.

I heard a stat the other day on the radio. More than 80% of the players in the NFL are earning close to the league minimum of $350,000. While that's absolutely nothing for you and me to sneeze at, most players (just like most other americans) live above and beyond their means. It's not going to take long at all before players miss out on that first game check and it hits them in the shorts. Miss that 2nd game check and then panic starts to set in. 3rd game check and so on - just gets worse and worse.

That sad thing here is the players union in a way has it's players backs, but then they're not at all interested in trying to work out a resolution before the current CBA expires. Goodell and the owners are ready to sit down and talk things out with hopes that they can get a deal done, but everything I hear is leaning towards the NFLPA isn't interested in doing anything at this point..