[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Immigrants

SEC=UGA

A lady who works with me is marrying a British chap. He is going to move over here and is currently over here for the wedding. They have filed all of the paper work and everything is legit. Yesterday he had to go to the doctor for the final part of the screening process. They checked his medical history from the UK, he had to have all of his inoculations (for the most part, updated), had to submit blood to be tested for any diseases, had to have a TB test, etc... It seems like to immigrate to this country legally you have to go through a whole host of checks, medical, criminal, psychological, work history, etc...

I find it quite interesting that someone coming over here legally MUST go through these procedures in order to meet the requirements for a visa. But, we have no such concerns with the illegals coming over here. There is a big part of the debate that seems to be left out with regard to the contagious diseases that these illegals may be transporting with them. We are seeing a resurgence in the US of diseases that were pretty well eradicated, TB, polio, measles, mumps, meningitis, etc... Are these increased cases due to "unscreened" persons coming into this country from developing nations who do not inoculate as widely for these diseases?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lady who works with me is marrying a British chap. He is going to move over here and is currently over here for the wedding. They have filed all of the paper work and everything is legit. Yesterday he had to go to the doctor for the final part of the screening process. They checked his medical history from the UK, he had to have all of his inoculations (for the most part, updated), had to submit blood to be tested for any diseases, had to have a TB test, etc... It seems like to immigrate to this country legally you have to go through a whole host of checks, medical, criminal, psychological, work history, etc...

I find it quite interesting that someone coming over here legally MUST go through these procedures in order to meet the requirements for a visa. But, we have no such concerns with the illegals coming over here. There is a big part of the debate that seems to be left out with regard to the contagious diseases that these illegals may be transporting with them. We are seeing a resurgence in the US of diseases that were pretty well eradicated, TB, polio, measles, mumps, meningitis, etc... Are these increased cases due to "unscreened" persons coming into this country from developing nations who do not inoculate as widely for these diseases?

Who says we have none of those concerns?

(And my wife had to go through the same thing when she moved here--we even had to bring her chest x-rays with us when we flew back into the US from our wedding in case an immigration official wanted to verify that she didn't have TB.)

Who says we have none of those concerns?

(And my wife had to go through the same thing when she moved here--we even had to bring her chest x-rays with us when we flew back into the US from our wedding in case an immigration official wanted to verify that she didn't have TB.)

It just isn't often a subject of conversation. This leads me to believe that it is a danger that is greatly under appreciated. I'm not certain that I have ever seen or read an article on this in my main news sources (CNN, ABC, CBS, NY Times, WSJ, AJC, etc...)

Interestingly enough the states with the highest rates of TB are also the states witht he highest number of illegal aliens, with the exception of Alaska and Louisiana which both have a high number of TB cases but fewer illegals. I believe that Louisiana can be explained by both it's proximity to Texas and it's high illegal population as well as the high humidity which allows the disease to spread easier. I'm not sure why Alaska is so high, other than possibly medical access being limited by geography.

What's interesting is that we are talking about illegal immigration now, as opposed to 5-7 years ago. Illegal immigration has dropped significantly in the last 2 years (in large part due to the recession and the lack of jobs).

What's interesting is that we are talking about illegal immigration now, as opposed to 5-7 years ago. Illegal immigration has dropped significantly in the last 2 years (in large part due to the recession and the lack of jobs).

I've been harping on it since the late 80's.

I've been harping on it for as long as I can remember. I'll admit I've turned up the volume recently due to Obama's desires for quasi-amnesty and the very high rate of unemployment, but this has long been an issue that I've been critical of both parties on. I was critical in the way Bush handled it as well.

Links?

If you will notice, I have only been a member here since 2003 (actually it was 2001) therefore I can not give you links back to the 80's. Also, Al Gore didn't invent the innernets for public use until about '91.

So you are saying you have no proof? :wacko:

(pssst . . I was joking)

I felt like explaining myself. Plus the link I gave to you is quite interesting.

Wait--are you implying that if there are no jobs for illegal aliens, they stop coming to this country?

Are you then implying that if American citizens did not provide jobs to illegal aliens, this would significantly impact the number of illegal aliens that come into this country?

It seems that you are implying that much of the illegal immigration problem is therefore due to American citizens breaking the law and providing jobs to said illegal immigrants.

Why do you hate American citizens?

Wait--are you implying that if there are no jobs for illegal aliens, they stop coming to this country?

Are you then implying that if American citizens did not provide jobs to illegal aliens, this would significantly impact the number of illegal aliens that come into this country?

It seems that you are implying that much of the illegal immigration problem is therefore due to American citizens breaking the law and providing jobs to said illegal immigrants.

I'd love to see stiffer penalties for those that knowingly break the law.

I'd love to see stiffer penalties for those that knowingly break the law.

ding ding ding

The federal gubment doesnt have immigration on the front burner, and may never get serious about it. Neitehr party has done much to show they are tough on immigration.

So since they arent doing much, the more local gubmnets and states go after companies and people that hire illegals, they can start giving them reasons to come here in the first place.

And besides . . arent most auto worker jobs going to mexico anyways? :wacko: Stay there and get a good job . .

ding ding ding

The federal gubment doesnt have immigration on the front burner, and may never get serious about it. Neitehr party has done much to show they are tough on immigration.

So since they arent doing much, the more local gubmnets and states go after companies and people that hire illegals, they can start giving them reasons to come here in the first place.

And besides . . arent most auto worker jobs going to mexico anyways? :wacko: Stay there and get a good job . .

Didn't Holder say this was a federal issue and not a state or local issue?

I would have to resort to profiling in order to keep from hiring illegal aliens and I absolutely refuse to do so as it is a reprehensible practice.

When it comes to deportations yes.

But state and local ordinances with regard to very stiff fines, penalities for hiring illegals is a local issue.

I don't think that AZ was going to directly deport them, but rather do the leg work that the feds aren't willing to do, then hand them over to the feds for deportations.

I don't think that AZ was going to directly deport them, but rather do the leg work that the feds aren't willing to do, then hand them over to the feds for deportations.

Making it uncomfortable for the businesses that give them jobs so that they STOP giving them jobs is different than arresting and turning over to the feds.

Dont even bother with the federal red tape, just start enacting local ordinances that have extremely punitive fines for hiring illegals? :wacko: That is allll local perch. It isnt arresting or deportaing, it is doing what you can on a local level (which I thought you are all about??) to eliminate one of the reasons they come to the US. Jobs.

Making it uncomfortable for the businesses that give them jobs so that they STOP giving them jobs is different than arresting and turning over to the feds.

Dont even bother with the federal red tape, just start enacting local ordinances that have extremely punitive fines for hiring illegals? :wacko: That is allll local perch. It isnt arresting or deportaing, it is doing what you can on a local level (which I thought you are all about??) to eliminate one of the reasons they come to the US. Jobs.

In an effort to curtail illegals many cities have tried to enact ordinances that restrict the number of unrelated persons that may live together in a dwelling, often these ordinances are overturned as being unconstitutional. Would the same thing happen with local ordinances aimed at fining people for hiring illegal immigrants? Also, Arizona tried to pass an ordinance that would require police to inquire about an individuals immigration status. How is this different than a company being required to check the same thing, wouldn't this also be profiling and unconstitutional?