[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It never ceases to amaze me

detlef

Dude has the balls to come up to me and get all pissy that I sat someone 5 minutes after closing. I gave him a look like, "If you make me explain this, you're not going to like how it goes."

Wait . . . so you wont serve those nice people lunch becasue you are closed, but then break your own rules when it is time to close?

This smacks of hypocrisy.

:wacko:

Here was perhaps my favorite inquiry as a subway conductor. Making a station stop on Hoyt Street in Brooklyn, this 20 year old asks me where the nearest post office is. Keep in mind there are hundreds of subway stations... hundreds. I suggested he ask the token booth clerk who is likely to know the neighborhood better than I did. He goes off..."You fo'n trasit fo'n workers, you're all stupid ah's, you don't do anything, you all a bunch of fo'n stupid fo'n morans, you should all be fired..." on and on and on. OK, you don't know where you are going, and I'm stupid?

Now, I could direct people to just about any museum, library, tourist site, major stores, city offices, courts, famous buildings and neighborhoods, piers, bus depots, ferry terminals, heliports, airports, parks, historical sites or famous/well known restaurants, but every post office in the city?

One cannot underestimate the stupidity of the general public. It can't be done. Or for that matter, the umittigated gall of so many. Like asking for more pasta for a doggie bag.

But the notion that I've got a list a mile long of things to get ready for a Saturday and the manner in which I have staffed my restaurant for that day is very much predicated on the fact that I'm not going to have to stop what I'm doing, grab whatever they want out of the cooler, prepare it, serve them, etc. And then what happens if someone else walks by and sees them eating? Can't turn them away either.

maybe you should open for saturday lunch :wacko:

Then again, from a customer's side I have been in full restaurants, withing the last several months and more than once, and been told at 10 PM that we couldn't order food (watching MNF) because the kitchen closes at 10. Really? At 10, and with a literally full house? How does this make sense from a business standpoint?

I was told I couldn't order from the dinner menu because it was only 20 minutes to closing the kitchen (not the bar and grill, just the kitchen). The waitress was pissed when I insisted that I wanted the dinner menu since we were well within the stated opening time. Haven't been back, most downtown restaurants suck balls in Minneapolis anyway.

I was told I couldn't order from the dinner menu because it was only 20 minutes to closing the kitchen (not the bar and grill, just the kitchen). The waitress was pissed when I insisted that I wanted the dinner menu since we were well within the stated opening time. Haven't been back, most downtown restaurants suck balls in Minneapolis anyway.

she needs a new profession then

One of the first things I have told every staff member that works in the restaurant side of my business is

"You have a set starting time. you do NOT have a set ending time. If you cannot accept this fact, then this job is not for you."

maybe you should open for saturday lunch :wacko:

Plenty of reasons why not.

Starting with the fact that I don't think there'd be many more than the 4-5 that amble upon us each week right now (the vast majority of which, mind you, have the sense to realize that we're not open and simply walk away). If we're averaging less than 40-50 covers, it doesn't make sense to do it at all.

Coupled with the fact that it's the one day of the week where we can get a bunch of things done unless we want to come in on Sunday (which is the only day we're closed all day).

Saturday is often our busiest night of the week and follows our other busiest night of the week. So even if I would make money by staffing it and opening up (and I don't think I would), it wouldn't be much and certainly not worth giving up the chance to regroup from a big night and re-prep for another.

We're not a big place and I can't overstate the luxury in being able to come in and get things done without having to work around the lunch service. Especially when you just blew through a ton of food the night before.

That's why you answer, "Up the stairs, 3 doors down on the left".

LOL... shoulda, woulda, coulda. Even better would be up the stairs, turn right, three blocks, turn left it's two blocks down.

So... ARE the ducks live? If not, are they plucked? What do you do with the heads?

That's why you answer, "Up the stairs, 3 doors down on the left".

Perfect answer.

LOL... shoulda, woulda, coulda. Even better would be up the stairs, turn right, three blocks, turn left it's two blocks down.

So... ARE the ducks live? If not, are they plucked? What do you do with the heads?

Here's the rundown on ducks at Jujube

Ducks are dead, headless, and footless. Each of them is individually wrapped and has a random assortment of organ meats along with the neck shoved inside it's main cavity. It's like the freaking lottery. If you're lucky, you get like 3-4 livers. If not, you get one or none and 3-4 hearts.

As much fat as I can get off the carcass gets rendered in a slow oven for duck fat, which we use for a ton of things. Among other things, it makes the best mashed potatoes you've ever had (used in place of or along with butter). The legs, hearts, and gizzards get cured with salt, five-spice powder, and orange zest for 2 days before getting turned into confit (slowly braising in rendered fat). That confit gets used for any number of things. Either shredded off the bone and put into spring rolls or some such or served as a whole duck confit leg with braised greens and carrot-scallion dumplings. The confit of hearts and gizzards typically get used for little treats I send out to friends or something. The livers either get turned into Vietnamese-style pate or get fried tempura style and served as an appetizer. The breast, of course, is the main event, getting pan roasted and served as an entree. Last week, it was with pineapple kim chee, mashed sweet potatoes, and asisan greens. This week, it's with a daikon-sake puree and salad of grilled Athenaakes and asparagus with sichuan pepper oil.

Perfect answer.

Ducks are dead, headless, and footless. Each of them is individually wrapped and has a random assortment of organ meats along with the neck shoved inside it's main cavity. It's like the freaking lottery. If you're lucky, you get like 3-4 livers. If not, you get one or none and 3-4 hearts.

As much fat as I can get off the carcass gets rendered in a slow oven for duck fat, which we use for a ton of things. Among other things, it makes the best mashed potatoes you've ever had (used in place of or along with butter). The legs, hearts, and gizzards get cured with salt, five-spice powder, and orange zest for 2 days before getting turned into confit (slowly braising in rendered fat). That confit gets used for any number of things. Either shredded off the bone and put into spring rolls or some such or served as a whole duck confit leg with braised greens and carrot-scallion dumplings. The confit of hearts and gizzards typically get used for little treats I send out to friends or something. The livers either get turned into Vietnamese-style pate or get fried tempura style and served as an appetizer. The breast, of course, is the main event, getting pan roasted and served as an entree. Last week, it was with pineapple kim chee, mashed sweet potatoes, and asisan greens. This week, it's with a daikon-sake puree and salad of grilled Athenaakes and asparagus with sichuan pepper oil.

Whats the delivery radius for JuJuBe?

Perfect answer.

And here I was looking forward to ravioli for lunch. :wacko:

How exactly does the rendering process work and can I do it to duck I get at the store (probably frozen).

I've heard cooking with the fat is awesome and the mashed potatoes sound great.

How exactly does the rendering process work and can I do it to duck I get at the store (probably frozen).

yes.. you can render duck and the type you prob get from the store. you can either make confit, or trim all of the fat and skin off of the duck and render the fat.

Dude, how long ago was that UGA/FL game? Did you sign up to wear that sig for a year or something? Brutal. Or is it some kind of Stockholm Syndrome and you've just grown to love your captor.

It is rare than anything brings me consistent joy. SEC's sig line, which he has now changed, was one of those things. And now my joy is gone.

Next time I'm in North Carolina, I'm coming to your restaurant with my kids, my niece and nephew, and all of their little kid friends. I'm planning on renting a bus. Kids, kids, kids. And I think we'll all go to the beach first.

I'm extremely lazy and haven't chosen a new sig line. Plus this just feeds the fuel of my rage about the absolutely horrendous season and the downward trajectory of this program under HCMR...

That and I love Unta who saddled me with these words.

You love me but you take away my joy.

I'm guessing you may have eaten some hidden loogie with your dinner that night. :wacko:

yes.. you can render duck and the type you prob get from the store. you can either make confit, or trim all of the fat and skin off of the duck and render the fat.

Yep, pretty much.

Chester, if you butcher a duck legs from breast separately, you'll get the highest yield of fat. If you roast it whole or something like that, there's not really that many places to cut it from, pretty much only the extra flap where the neck came from. At that point it's barely worth it.

If you actually cut the legs away and the breast away, for starters, you'll end up with a bunch of extra fat right there alone. Then there's the neck flap I mentioned above plus a bunch on the back between the wings as well as some flaps under the wings themselves. Basically, just cut as much away as you possibly can. Then place it in a pan in the oven at 350 for a really long time. If you have a meat grinder and grind the fat first, it speeds up the rendering process. Also, I find that, after you've rendered a bunch of the fat away and it's cooked long enough for any not fat liquid to evaporate, you can drain that off, put the partially rendered skin on a cutting board, hack that up with a chef's knife into really small bits and then return to the oven, you'll get a bunch more.

Once the skin itself has been completely rendered, you can then crisp it up in the oven and you have cracklings that you can season up and do god knows what with.

Lastly, the non-fatty liquid I spoke of (basically duck water for lack of a better description) is kind of cool in it's own right. You can use it for sauce and such because it has a pretty good amount of gel in it. Thing is, you don't want to separate it from the fat because it will rot and spoil the fat (which will last basically forever in your fridge if it is entirely rendered).