[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Trapped in 70's hell

matt770

I work from home and listen to music all day. I have a Pandora station programmed with all of my favorite music -- everything from classic 70's rock to early 80's punk and new wave, to 90's grunge, jam bands, and later alt rock stuff like Cake, Modest Mouse, etc. The station is called Matt Radio and it's been my companion in my home office for the past 4 years or so. Lately it's gotten so stale I can't listen to it anymore. Even though it still plays a wide variety of stuff, I've heard many of the songs dozens of time and I'm just done with it for a while.

So I created a new station of 70's soft rock and I LOVE IT. Steely Dan, Boz Scaggs, Fleetwood Mac, James Taylor, Earth Wind & Fire, James Ingram, Journey, Commodores, Ambrosia, Bee Gees, Seals & Crofts, Pablo Cruise, Chicago. Songs I haven't heard in years and had forgotten all about. Some of the wussiest, cheesiest crap you could possibly imagine. But it reminds me of riding in my mom's Pinto when I was 6 or 7 years old and it feels familiar. It's perfect background music, and I find myself feeling more relaxed and in a better mood while I work. Sometimes I turn up a song just to laugh at it, because it's so bad but I remember hearing it millions of times on the radio 30+ years ago. Sometimes I record myself singing along and send it to my wife to make her laugh while she works. She thinks I've completely lost my mind.

I can't be the only one who digs this stuff. Right? :wacko:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I created a new station of 70's soft rock and I LOVE IT. Steely Dan, Boz Scaggs, Fleetwood Mac, James Taylor, Earth Wind & Fire, James Ingram, Journey, Commodores, Ambrosia, Bee Gees, Seals & Crofts, Pablo Cruise, Chicago. Songs I haven't heard in years and had forgotten all about. Some of the wussiest, cheesiest crap you could possibly imagine. But it reminds me of riding in my mom's Pinto when I was 6 or 7 years old and it feels familiar. It's perfect background music, and I find myself feeling more relaxed and in a better mood while I work. Sometimes I turn up a song just to laugh at it, because it's so bad but I remember hearing it millions of times on the radio 30+ years ago. Sometimes I record myself singing along and send it to my wife to make her laugh while she works. She thinks I've completely lost my mind.

My grandma loves those bands. :tup:

I loved the 70's music when I was in High School (1974 grad) and afterwords. I still listen to those classics. I like some of the 80's but hate most of the 90's.

Class of '89 here. :wacko:

In about 5 years I'll be listening to Big Band.

Steely Dan, Boz Scaggs, Fleetwood Mac, James Taylor, Earth Wind & Fire, James Ingram, Journey, Commodores, Ambrosia, Bee Gees, Seals & Crofts, Pablo Cruise, Chicago.

The only one of these I would listen to is Fleetwood Mac and I much prefer their very early Peter Green stuff.

I work from home and listen to music all day. I have a Pandora station programmed with all of my favorite music -- everything from classic 70's rock to early 80's punk and new wave, to 90's grunge, jam bands, and later alt rock stuff like Cake, Modest Mouse, etc. The station is called Matt Radio and it's been my companion in my home office for the past 4 years or so. Lately it's gotten so stale I can't listen to it anymore. Even though it still plays a wide variety of stuff, I've heard many of the songs dozens of time and I'm just done with it for a while.

Sidenote Boz Scaggs is one of my pool clients and his caretaker is always half naked poolside and she is Smokin :tup:

Every time Steely Dan is referred to as "soft rock" an angel loses it's wings. Effing geniuses I tell you! And effing geniuses do not make "soft rock"!

I've never heard Steely Dan referred to as "soft" rock. They are always in the "classic" rock category. :wacko:

Sidenote Boz Scaggs is one of my pool clients and his caretaker is always half naked poolside and she is Smokin :tup:

My mom was insanely into Boz, played all his records constantly while her and my aunt burned unusual incense. They went to see him at MSG, would have been around '77 or '78. Really amazing show apparently. :wacko:

I'm still waiting for your retraction of lumping the genius that is Steely Dan in with "soft rock". Any time now, please.

Hey I dig Steely Dan on a non-ironic level too. They were amazing. But the music is pretty soft.

I'll borrow from Wikipedia and say they are my favorite 70's band that blended elements of jazz, rock, funk, R&B, and pop.

How many Hall & Oates songs do they have in rotation? :lol:

Sara Smile and Rich Girl have come up more than once. I Can't Go For That played one time that I can remember.

Wow, Rich Girl just started playing as I type this. :wacko::tup:

Welcome back to when music was music! (Class of '72!!)