[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Electronic Cigarettes

Rovers

Update:

I am still finishing off my real butts, but am vaping too. These things SHUT DOWN my urge to smoke almost completely. I have to wait a couple more days for new cartridges before I totally switch over, but this IS going to work.

Gum and patches never killed the urge the way these do. Not even close. No comparison whatsoever. You can't chew gum when you drink coffee for instance. Coffee is a trigger. These deliver nicotine when the urge hits, unlike all the other big drug comapany smoking cessasstion products. Chantix now costs $700 and makes people go crazy. The patches irritated my skin and disurbed my sleep.

If you are still smoking, and want to quit... I don't think it will ever get easier than this.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update:

I am still finishing off my real butts, but am vaping too. These things SHUT DOWN my urge to smoke almost completely. I have to wait a couple more days for new cartridges before I totally switch over, but this IS going to work.

Gum and patches never killed the urge the way these do. Not even close. No comparison whatsoever. You can't chew gum when you drink coffee for instance. Coffee is a trigger. These deliver nicotine when the urge hits, unlike all the other big drug comapany smoking cessasstion products. Chantix now costs $700 and makes people go crazy. The patches irritated my skin and disurbed my sleep.

If you are still smoking, and want to quit... I don't think it will ever get easier than this.

Keep going Rovers. Great news so far. :wacko:

Day 1:

Tobacco free, from 2 1/2 packs a day to zero. Believe me, big tobacco will do all they can to get these things banned. So will the big drug companies who make billions on other smoking cessation drugs. NY is already working on legislation to ban these things. I'm sure the $65 per carton in taxes they get has nothing to do with it. Chantix only costs $700 dollars now. And it makes you go nuts.

It hasn't been anywhere near as difficult as using patches or gum. In fact, it's a stretch to say it has even been difficult so far. It took a couple of days to find the right flavor and strength, but now that I have that down... it's incredible. The only negative is that it sems to make me burp for some reason. Very slightly like having a chaw of tobacco in your mouth and having a tiny bit of juice drip into your stomache. Not nearly as bad, but it reminds me of that a little. Other than that, it's like smoking without all the other toxins that clog your lungs, cause emphazema, sinus congestion and post nasal drip.

No smell. No dirty curtains. No ashtrays. No second hand anything. It's the perfect smoking cessation system. My plan is off course to get weened off of these at some point too. You can simply keep lowering the nicotine dose until you don't use nicotine at all. At your own pace.

In a few weeks, I'll be waking up without having to cough my brains out. I simply cannot believe our governement is pushing to ban these. Watch... when the taxes from cigarettes dry up, it will be soda pop, potato chips, chocolate, desserts, fast foods. When unjust taxes start hitting more "mainstream" Americans, it will be interesting to see what happens. Mayor Bloomberg has already tried to legislate against salt of all things. Off topic I suppose...but if they outlaw E-Cigs, it will be a travesty.

Day 1:

Tobacco free, from 2 1/2 packs a day to zero. Believe me, big tobacco will do all they can to get these things banned. So will the big drug companies who make billions on other smoking cessation drugs. NY is already working on legislation to ban these things. I'm sure the $65 per carton in taxes they get has nothing to do with it. Chantix only costs $700 dollars now. And it makes you go nuts.

It hasn't been anywhere near as difficult as using patches or gum. In fact, it's a stretch to say it has even been difficult so far. It took a couple of days to find the right flavor and strength, but now that I have that down... it's incredible. The only negative is that it sems to make me burp for some reason. Very slightly like having a chaw of tobacco in your mouth and having a tiny bit of juice drip into your stomache. Not nearly as bad, but it reminds me of that a little. Other than that, it's like smoking without all the other toxins that clog your lungs, cause emphazema, sinus congestion and post nasal drip.

No smell. No dirty curtains. No ashtrays. No second hand anything. It's the perfect smoking cessation system. My plan is off course to get weened off of these at some point too. You can simply keep lowering the nicotine dose until you don't use nicotine at all. At your own pace.

In a few weeks, I'll be waking up without having to cough my brains out. I simply cannot believe our governement is pushing to ban these. Watch... when the taxes from cigarettes dry up, it will be soda pop, potato chips, chocolate, desserts, fast foods. When unjust taxes start hitting more "mainstream" Americans, it will be interesting to see what happens. Mayor Bloomberg has already tried to legislate against salt of all things. Off topic I suppose...but if they outlaw E-Cigs, it will be a travesty.

I'm glad they are working for you. Keep up the awesome job, Rovers!!!

:wacko:

Edited by buddahj

In a few weeks, I'll be waking up without having to cough my brains out

Keep it up Rovers. Keep the above thought in mind whenever you think you might not make it. It will happen. My last smoke was 4 years ago. I'm rarely tempted but when I am, all I have to do is think back to what that was like back then and the difference now. That temptation quickly goes away. Keep it up! :wacko:

Day 1:

I have to say, I am very impressed you went from 2 1/2 packs a day to zero. More so since your entire existence on this planet has been with nicotine. That is very impressive. I've had friends tell me the one thing that didn't work for them with the E-cigarettes was the lack of the back of the throat hit they got when taking a drag. Does it really feel and taste the same?

I have gotten a couple PM's about this, so let me answer here. It might be helpful for others. I spent hours upon hours looking into this, and I still have more to learn, but I think I can at least relate the process and how I got to today.

First absolutely avoid the shopping mall kiosks and the 7-11 stuff. You will waste money and it likely will not help you quit. My sis was pushing the shopping mall kiosk thing on me, and I found a thread at a competive site to the Huddle where people were espousing the benefits. Based on info from there and a forum dedicated to E-Cigs, here is my chronology.

First, what is the goal? Quit smoking, save money, health, improve quality of life or do you just want to be an idiot and use these devices for a nicotine buzz?

For me, Quiting YEEESSS, Money, YES, health, YES, quality of life, YES. My goal is to use these to get off tobacco and all the other many harmful carcinogens in them. Then to ween off the E-Cigs over time. Based on these criteria:

I wanted an on demand system. Something that was as close to smoking as possible, allowing me to do things like drink coffee, a BIG trigger, without tobacco. These do that for me. Patches disturbed my sleep and irritated my skin. They did nothing for my urges at all. Gum... how do you chew gum while drinking coffee? It's like chewing tobacco. You can't drink with the gum.

They have a ton of different flavors and dosages. I wanted a tobacco flavored one, and will not try all the fancy flavors, as I don't want to fall in love with vaping either. A means to an end... no smoking, eventually no nicotine. I'm told the non tobacco falvors taste better. Fine, I know NOT to try them.

There are three basic elements to these things, and they come in either 3 part systems or two part systems:

1. The battery. These are rechargable lithiums, and each have different discharge (use) times. In the forum they are usually referred to as 808's or some other number.

2. The atomizer or "atty" which ignites, or rather burns the juice containg glycerin (vapor producer), flavoring and nicotine. When screwed together, the "atty" abutts the battery. It doesn't burn anything though, it simply turns the juice into water vapor.

3. The cartrdige, cart or carto. This contains the juice which has nicotine, glycerin and flavoring in it. You can buy them pre-loaded, or save money by buying small jars of juice and loading blank cartridges yourself.

I selected the Vapor4Life (you can Google them) as my supplier and got my starter kit from them. This is a 2 piece system where the atomizer is intergrated with the cartridges. Mine is the Vapor King XL kit. It included 2 batteries, (longer life discharge times, almost 8 hours) five loaded cartridges (depending on the supplier, carts can last anywhere from the equivalent of 8 to 20 cigarettes) a wall charger, a USB charger and a USB "bypass" to power the E-cig directly from a USB port. I also ordered 10 blank cartridges and a 30ml bottle of "juice" for loading my own. That ran about $100 with shipping.

If you buy from 7-11 or a mall kiosk, you will be disappointed. You need to order on-line and join the V4L forum to learn more. That forum also discusses many of the other available suppliers too. Posters talk about every freakin thing.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/

There are a million opinions on "throat hit", vapor production and taste. Because I had done a lot of reading, I came pretty close to what I was looking for. The V4L company has a very good rep and many people started with them, and many stuck with them. They are a safe bet for a starter kit. Get a sampler pack of 5 differently flavored cartridges. I bought the blanks and juice flavor called Cowboy, a Marlboro light imitation. I did not want to run out after I got off tobacco.

Being a Marlboro light smoker, I have found the 18mg carts to be just about right. The 8's weren't enough, and the 24's made me cough. So, a Marlboro red smoker might prefer the 24's. They will ask you what dosage of nicotine you want when you order.

I have found this combination to work great for me. That might give you some guidelines in determining what might be best for you.

Lastly they have auto batteries and manual batteries which means there is a button on the side of the E-Cig to activate the manual when you vape. The auto has a reputation for shorting out if some juice leaks on it, and the consensus is the manual batts are a better option. I have the autos, and wish I had gone manual, although it's working fine so far. The auto turn on when you vape, but you have to sort of prime it with a short puff to get it going first.

Lastly, you can get them with no nicotine in them at all. Some quiters have found that using them this way helps them to stay off the butts forever. So my hardware costs were about $60, the other $45 was on cartridges and juice, should be enough for several weeks at least, I'm thinking a month. That cost will go down because I have blank cartridges. I'm figuring recurring costs of about $30 a month, tops. Comapre that to $95 a carton in NY, only a 4 day supply for me, barely.

Having covered that ground, if you want more info, PM me or post here.

I have to say, I am very impressed you went from 2 1/2 packs a day to zero. More so since your entire existence on this planet has been with nicotine. That is very impressive. I've had friends tell me the one thing that didn't work for them with the E-cigarettes was the lack of the back of the throat hit they got when taking a drag. Does it really feel and taste the same?

It's close, but you have to both research it and do some experimenting to get the throat hit, vapor production and nicotine combination just right, and it's different for everyone. The 24 mg carts had plenty of throat hit, too much... they made me cough immediately. The 18mg carts are right for me. The vapor production also varies greatly from one E-Cig and carto to another. Some people really want to see a lot of vapor exhaled. Youy can actually add a few drops of glucerin into the cart to increase the vapor production.

It's definiely not a one size fits all thing. It's highly personalized, and that is one reason the mall kiosks and 7-11 ones don't work for a lot of people. The more you know before buying, the less likely it is that you will waste money. You have to set goals, and do the legwork. I hope my above post can reduce some of the confusion for others. I was ceratinly confused at first, and still have more to learn. For instance, loading cartridges can be tricky. That forum has helpful tips of all sorts. The problem is finding what you want, there are so many freakin threads and posts... but they have a special noobie forum. Very helpful.

Day 2:

On cruise control. I tend to burp a bit, and the vegtable glycerin tends to dehydrate you, so I'm drinking more water. The back of my throat can get a litle dry. Bought a new humidifier to help with that.

Passed two big tests. Coffee: No problem. I used the 8mg cartridges with my morning cup, the 18mg's made me cough. Stepped up to the 18's a couple hours later. Beer: No issues. I do vape more if I have a brew, but I also smoked more with a beer. Some barely discernable urges, but nothing like wanting to jump out a window or tearing my eyeballs out as during previous attempts to quit.

These things are better tasting than tobacco. I already seem to be able to taste food a little better.

It's always a day at a time, but I say right now with confidence:

I am an ex-smoker.

Day 2:

On cruise control. I tend to burp a bit, and the vegtable glycerin tends to dehydrate you, so I'm drinking more water. The back of my throat can get a litle dry. Bought a new humidifier to help with that.

Passed two big tests. Coffee: No problem. I used the 8mg cartridges with my morning cup, the 18mg's made me cough. Stepped up to the 18's a couple hours later. Beer: No issues. I do vape more if I have a brew, but I also smoked more with a beer. Some barely discernable urges, but nothing like wanting to jump out a window or tearing my eyeballs out as during previous attempts to quit.

These things are better tasting than tobacco. I already seem to be able to taste food a little better.

I am an ex-smoker.

Awesome. :wacko:

Day 2:

I am an ex-smoker.

:wacko::tup::lol:

Welcome to the club.

Day 2:

I am an ex-smoker.

Minus the nicotine levels in your body, you've passed the first 4 bullet points below. A big time congrats!!!!!!!

* In 20 minutes your blood pressure will drop back down to normal.

* In 8 hours the carbon monoxide (a toxic gas) levels in your blood stream will drop by half, and oxygen levels will return to normal.

* In 48 hours your chance of having a heart attack will have decreased. All nicotine will have left your body. Your sense of taste and smell will return to a normal level.

* In 72 hours your bronchial tubes will relax, and your energy levels will increase.

Next Up:

* In 2 weeks your circulation will increase, and it will continue to improve for the next 10 weeks.

* In 3 to 9 months coughing, wheezing, and breathing problems will dissipate as your lung capacity improves by 10%.

* In 1 year your risk of having a heart attack will have dropped by half.

* In 5 years your risk of having a stroke returns to that of a non-smoker.

* In 10 years your risk of lung cancer will have returned to that of a non-smoker.

* In 15 years your risk of heart attack will have returned to that of a non-smoker.

Still rolling along. In 2 days I break even on $ making the switch from cigarettes to a personal vaporizer. Then I save about $21 a day. You can get started for less than $50. I spent $130. NO carcinogens. No tar, no ashes. No cancer causing chemicals, no second hand smoke.

If you want to quit... now is the time, and this is the way.

Still rolling along. In 2 days I break even on $ making the switch from cigarettes to a personal vaporizer. Then I save about $21 a day. You can get started for less than $50. I spent $130. NO carcinogens. No tar, no ashes. No cancer causing chemicals, no second hand smoke.

If you want to quit... now is the time, and this is the way.

Keep us posted Rovers.

This is an awesome thing to see. Nice job. :wacko:

Keep us posted Rovers.

This is an awesome thing to see. Nice job. :tup:

Thanks CD. Even I can't believe it. ME? Quit smoking!?! NO frucking way! I tried with all my might! I quit coffee and brews, all alchohol just to try to avoid the cancer sticks. NOTHING worked. Nothing came close.

Some peole are more addicted than others. I was a lost cause. No matter how much I wanted to, I just could NOT stop smoking. It wasn't possible. I went deep into debt. Spending $25 a day. Still, I could not stop. I would see red when people said stupid stuff like weak willed and equally stupid chit.

Here I am. Sure, I still have urges, but now will power can overcome. One can will a mountain to move, but you still need a shovel. With these devices, the mountain is a small hill. You still need a shovel, you still have to work at it, you still have be willful, but it simply was NOT possible for me to quit barring being on a deserted island or death before I found these E-Cigs. Even on a deserted island, I would have found a way to smoke coconut leaves.

Back in the early 80's I was a young(er) exec making well into the 6 figure range. I was a hot shot. I was the guy who always had coke. I was an addict. My career got snorted thru rolled 20 dollar bills. I emptied my bank account countless times on week long coke runs. Had the coke ho's hangin on my arms. Quitting cocaine was absolute child's play next to this. Nothing compared to this. Inconsequential. Not even relevant. I know something about addictions. Been there, done that. Cocaine wasn't 5% of the problem cigarettes were.

Now, maybe, just maybe, I won't die of cancer like my old man. Maybe I won't die of emphazema like my mom. Miracles stil happen, apparently.

And as I type this, NYS is trying to ban the sale of E-Cigs in NYS. :wacko: I have a new purpose in life. Might include a tent on the lawn in front of the state capital in Albany. I wanna go Egytian on these morans.

Good Luck Rovers! I bought one at a mall and was initially pleased. It still works fine I just havent gotten the motivation to switch over completely. Quitting is a real bitch!! I admire anyone who is as honest about their addiction as you and wins the battle.

The ones you can get in mall kiosks are generally low end E-Cigs. So are the ones at 7-11.

It's all about the battery in the unit. The more voltage, the better for vapor production, flavor and throat hit. That's why my 5 volt USB pass thru is better than my 3.8 volt litium battery E-Cig. The USB pass through is far more satisfying than my battery unit.

Then most quitters have to find a flavor that works, often one that mimicks their old brand.

This morning was a little more difficult. I really wanted a butt with my coffee. I can't go back, even for one. I had a 24mg cartridge for just such an occassion. I go from an 18 to a 24 when the urge worsens. Within a few minutes, the urge passes.

Of course nothing will work unless you really want (or have) to quit in the first place. In just these few days, I'm not as congested in the morning and I don't cough near as much. I'm sleeping more deeply and waking up less. Tomorrow I break even on money spent on this vs. tobacco. Then I save about $21 a day. I have a lot of credit cards to pay down thanks to smoking though. It will take some time.

Still rollin along. NO tobacco. I do occassionally start jonesin, but I'm hangin. A stronger nicotine catridge helps when I really jones, but I'm out of the stronger cartridges at the moment. Hangiin until my next order comes in. I'll have to get through today and tomorrow on what I've got. I will. I am an ex-smoker.

Still rollin along. NO tobacco. I do occassionally start jonesin, but I'm hangin. A stronger nicotine catridge helps when I really jones, but I'm out of the stronger cartridges at the moment. Hangiin until my next order comes in. I'll have to get through today and tomorrow on what I've got. I will. I am an ex-smoker.

I gotta say I am very impressed Rovers. I am going to get my order in asap. I need to quit and if this is working for you I have to give it a shot.

I gotta say I am very impressed Rovers. I am going to get my order in asap. I need to quit and if this is working for you I have to give it a shot.

Tbimm, some advice for ya.

I'd get the Vape4Life XL manual battery kit with charger, USB Pass Through (this is a way to hook into a USB port on your comp without having to worry about draining your batteries). How heavilly do you smoke? The light smoker can usually do OK with 18mg cartridges. As a nearly 3 pack a day smoker, I found that the 18's were not strong enough for me. I can use them, but I need the 24mg cartridges (called carts or cartos). I even have some 36mg carts that I only go to in a pinch.

I ran out of the 24mg for 2 days, and it was tough with only 18mg carts. But, I was a very heavy smoker.

So, the V4L starter kit, the XL manual batteries (you get 2) the USB PT, the charger and 5 carts= $60 plus shipping. Use discount code SMILIN for 10% off. Then add on more carts to the order. Get some in different strengths. Some 18's a few 24's, maybe some weaker than that. The 8's I can't use at all. It will take you a few days to figure out what does and doesn't work for you. I vaped for about 3 or 4 days before I completely quite tobacco cigarettes. It took a little time to learn what worked best for me, but even a week later, I discovered I needed to have some 36mg stuff artound too. Once you quit smoking, you don't want to run out of supplies.

So, don't rush it. Find out what works for you, reorder whatever you might need, then put the tobacco down forever. Here is the V4L site.

http://store.vapor4life.com/Vapor_King_2_P...er_Kits_s/1.htm

There is also a ton of info at this messgae board, including section of suppliers and vendors, where each had their own seperate forum.

There you can learn about buying juice and refilling carts instead of buying preloaded carts, which saves money. All sorts of good info there.

DO NOT buy the stuff at 7-11 or shopping mall kiosks.

I know it's a very worn out statement, and when I heard it, it used to piss me off, but... if I can quit, anyone can. Almost 3 packs a day to zero, and it hasn't been all that difficult. I hope you take the plunge. Nicotine isn't good for you, but these things have no cancer risk, won't cause emphazema, have no carbon monoxide and no second hand smoke. There are no ashes to attach to your lungs or make second hand smoke.

Good luck.

Tbimm, some advice for ya.

I'd get the Vape4Life XL manual battery kit with charger, USB Pass Through (this is a way to hook into a USB port on your comp without having to worry about draining your batteries). How heavilly do you smoke? The light smoker can usually do OK with 18mg cartridges. As a nearly 3 pack a day smoker, I found that the 18's were not strong enough for me. I can use them, but I need the 24mg cartridges (called carts or cartos). I even have some 36mg carts that I only go to in a pinch.

I ran out of the 24mg for 2 days, and it was tough with only 18mg carts. But, I was a very heavy smoker.

So, the V4L starter kit, the XL manual batteries (you get 2) the USB PT, the charger and 5 carts= $60 plus shipping. Use discount code SMILIN for 10% off. Then add on more carts to the order. Get some in different strengths. Some 18's a few 24's, maybe some weaker than that. The 8's I can't use at all. It will take you a few days to figure out what does and doesn't work for you. I vaped for about 3 or 4 days before I completely quite tobacco cigarettes. It took a little time to learn what worked best for me, but even a week later, I discovered I needed to have some 36mg stuff artound too. Once you quit smoking, you don't want to run out of supplies.

So, don't rush it. Find out what works for you, reorder whatever you might need, then put the tobacco down forever. Here is the V4L site.

http://store.vapor4life.com/Vapor_King_2_P...er_Kits_s/1.htm

There is also a ton of info at this messgae board, including section of suppliers and vendors, where each had their own seperate forum.

There you can learn about buying juice and refilling carts instead of buying preloaded carts, which saves money. All sorts of good info there.

DO NOT buy the stuff at 7-11 or shopping mall kiosks.

I know it's a very worn out statement, and when I heard it, it used to piss me off, but... if I can quit, anyone can. Almost 3 packs a day to zero, and it hasn't been all that difficult. I hope you take the plunge. Nicotine isn't good for you, but these things have no cancer risk, won't cause emphazema, have no carbon monoxide and no second hand smoke. There are no ashes to attach to your lungs or make second hand smoke.

Good luck.

Thanks Rovers. I am going to look into this over the weekend. I was a very heavy smoker like you but in recent months financial difficulties have forced me down to just over a pack a day. While money is a factor my lungs are also telling me it is time to quit before it is too late. I have been watching this thread closely and am impressed with your progress. It gives me hope as, like you , I have tried everything else to no avail.

Had the coke ho's hangin on my arms.

I'm sorry I know you are being 100% honest and this is nothing to make jokes of but seriously, this is the tailgate and that has to be one of the greatest lines evah given who it came from. The second I read it my OJ went right out my nose and all over my laptop.

This may be a new sig line for me :wacko:

Thanks Rovers. I am going to look into this over the weekend. I was a very heavy smoker like you but in recent months financial difficulties have forced me down to just over a pack a day. While money is a factor my lungs are also telling me it is time to quit before it is too late. I have been watching this thread closely and am impressed with your progress. It gives me hope as, like you , I have tried everything else to no avail.

This is the right time!

25% off all V4L stuff this weekend, promo code Phone25.

You won't get a better deal than this. Sure, it costs more up front, but within a month to 6 weeks you will be saving money. You could get the XL manual starter kit, and a boatload of cartridges along with a coulpe of 30ml jars of juice for under $100. I'd suggest getting 3 bottles of juice. One 18mg, a 24mg and even a 36. If the 36 is too strong, you can always cut it down with another juice. Now, to sound like I am wearing panties, I love this mocha cafe flavor.

I said I would not try other than tobacco flavors, but they throw in these free samples. This stuff is stooopid good tasting. You have been led to the water TBimmer. Take a drink and put that nast azz chit beghind you forever.

Cliaz... wha? You didn't think I was a good lookin cocaine snortin wild man back in the day? How do you think I got to looking so old? :wacko: