[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think I believe in the power of prayer now.

Cunning Runt

Just because the masses believe in something does not make it correct. Flat Earth anyone?

I am not a small person to belittle a man's faith, in fact I believe I am a bigger person for it. It takes balls in this society to stand up for what you believe in regardless of the particular topic at hand, especially when it is not a popular stance to take. Many people, especially those in power in the society that we live in, label atheists as a way to marginalize them, to characterize them as something less. by doing so just being labeled an atheist becomes a derogatory statement. So it is OK for the religious to belittle atheists but not the other way around?

I and many others have no problem in speaking out in a crowd if someone makes a patently racist statement. We know that to be demeaning and are willing to speak out against the injustice of it. If you were in a bar and someone said that December is the hottest month of the year in Texas, you would most certainly challenge that person's ability to read a calendar. Now someone puts forth a statement that I find factually inaccurate and I placed a comment to that effect in this thread. It is you who felt the need to come to that person's defense, attacking me and my character. Now who's arrogant?

Savage, I know you've spent more time than most on things grounded in Christianity, but that doesn't make you the arbiter of all that is spiritual. Come down off your high horse and probe the underpinnings of your belief system a bit more. I think you'll find the sand holding up the pilings washing away.

Perhaps a simple, "I don't believe in prayer" would have been sufficient.

Rather than continue on with this. I'll let everyone bask in their respective moments of glory. Have fun.

Excuse us for "having the balls to stand up for what we believe in." Believe me, if someone here were to come in and ridicule you solely based on your faith or lack thereof, I would be on your train. But bringing your fight to other people and showing a complete lack of respect for them and their beliefs like this does absolutely nothing for your cause.

Wow...

This has taken a few turns.

Look, I'm not a deeply religious person, but I asked God for some relief, and coincidentally, got it just a couple hours later after it had bothered me for a month. Just wish I woulda asked sooner.

This wasn't intended to be a Christian vs. Atheist thread.

It was simply an observation that the one time I prayed I ended up getting relief after a long time within hours. Take it for what you will.

And Tonorator, really? Did you just go there? I've laid low on that issue and won;t take your bait this time....as much as I want to.

Rather than continue on with this. I'll let everyone bask in their respective moments of glory. Have fun.

Yer vile...

:wacko:

Come down off your high horse and probe the underpinnings of your belief system a bit more. I think you'll find the sand holding up the pilings washing away.

that's what I did when I was an atheist who mocked and belittled faith, and yeah, under serious examination and reflection, the sand started washing away.

the bottom line here is that you don't understand other peoples' faith nearly as well as you've convinced yourself you do.

Whlle I don't think praying to a deity of choice works, I do believe in the power of positive (and negative) thinking.

I just think of a little 10 year old out on the basketball court shooting hoops all alone.

All in the mind, maybe even spoken out loud: 5 seconds left on the game clock, game 7 of the NBA finals, down by 2, little (Michael Jordan or your own name) is leading the team up court. tick tick 3 seconds left, fakes the drive to the hole, but pulls up just outside the 3 point line. tick 2 seconds left, defender steps up but I fade back and let go of the 3 pointer. tick 1 second left... swish. BZZZZZZZ, buzzer goes off. Game winner with less than a second left in the game. The crowd goes wild, teammates mob you, we are world champions!

Positive thinking goes a long way to accomplishing anything. Even miraculous recoveries or game winning shots.

This was a while ago, so it might not still be the case. We got on the topic of religion and a friend of mine pointed me to the official Bilble page on Facebook, as well as the official Atheist page on Facebook. The Bible page was filled with comments from Atheists telling them how wrong they are and how they are wasting their time. The Atheist page was filled with comments from believers telling them how wrong they are and how they will eventually pay for being wrong. Why can't people just let others believe what they believe ? Why does it bother so many that others might think differently than them ?

As for the topic at hand, I'm glad that the pain went away CR and hope that you continue to stay healthy. I too believe in the power of prayer.

Edited by Menudo

The Bible page was filled with comments from Atheists telling them how wrong they are and how they are wasting their time. The Atheist page was filled with comments from believers telling them how wrong they are and how they will eventually pay for being wrong.

hey, I choose look on the bright side. at least neither was filled evangelistic steelers fans writing bad poetry.