[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How lenient are you as far as what your kids watch

whomper

Kids and TV  

40 members have voted

1. 1. How lenient are you as far as what your kids watch on TV

• Age appropriate - no exceptions
    • Age appropriate that sometimes pushes the envelope
    • They can watch whatever they want
    • They can only watch Puddy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not saying that it is tolerable to allow young children to watch inappropriate sexual acts, whether it be homesexual or heterosexual. I was merely responding to:

1. SB's orginal comment that shows like Glee (in all its homeosexual glory) are inapproriate for that reason alone, and;

2. Caddy's comment that "There is a time that kids need to understand the difference (re: between hetero- and homosexuality). Most people would not think that time is age six."

I think at six-years-old it's more than appropriate to explain to my son that there are some families with two dads, some with two moms, and some with a mom and a dad. And if he questions why some would have two mom's or two dads, that people are allowed to be whoever they wish when it comes to who they like. I would much rather be too open-minded than close-minded :wacko:

Again, I said most people. You do what you want. I am pretty sure you are in the minority on the six year old thing. You are also talking about "families". There is alot more stuff on TV that is not about families.

As one of the people you are referring to, I can say that I do not hate homos. What I hate is their unending desire to ram their lifestyle down my throat. Yes I can say I hate that. I DON'T CARE WHO YOU SLEEP WITH. Just live your life and let me live mine. Don't make me put up with ghey awareness day. Don't use tv to further your agenda. Yes, that shiat I hate.

I agree a million percent. I think bigotry in all its forms is wrong and I've battled against it myself. Nobody is perfect. I think a show like Glee preaching tolerance to kids is a really good thing -- I get that it's important and I'm on board. And I think it is really cool how open and accepting teens are nowadays.

But, one of the characters on Glee is a really, really, really flaming gay kid. Dude has a makeup table and sits there and puts on foundation. His dad is a blue collar type. I remember from an early episode they showed this guy coming to grips with the fact that his kid is gay. They yelled, it was emotional, and eventually the dad came around and accepted it to an extent. On the episode the other night, dad walks in and there is another boy in his son's bed. It would be understandable if dad threw the kid out the window, which is what would happen if we were talking about a daughter and not a gay son...but instead he almost apologizes for barging in and excuses himself. Later in the episode father and son are talking. Dad makes a comment that he's sorry, he doesn't know what gay guys do together, so he's not going to be a good source of advice. The son chastises him and says maybe he should learn.

So the message is that it's not enough to accept it...a *really* good dad would read up on gay culture and relationships so he could give the kid dating advice. I mean, jeez, enough is enough. That is definitely pushing an agenda in my opinion. I put myself in the dad's shoes and think it would be quite a journey to accept a gay son. I have no doubt that I would. But going to the Clinique counter with him, or helping him pick out leopard thongs might be a stretch. Hopefully my love and acceptance would be enough though.

This is not about Dave. You guys can point the finger at him, you can talk about the homo side of him, and if you do that, it's really unfair. It's really unfair. That's my leaguemate. That's my Commish. You guys do that, it's not fair.

Well played. :wacko:

Based on the commercials shown during the Super Bowl, I might have had to:

1. Explain why people act differently when drunk

2. Explain why a woman needs to use pads.

3. Explain what an erection is, and why you'd need to see a doctor if it lasted more than four hours.

4. Why a woman would go to a bar in her bra.

5. Why it was funny that a 60+ year old Joan Rivers' head was on a barely-dressed hot body in a GoDaddy commerical.

6. Why a scantily-clad Kim Kardashian with a guy on top of her telling him "Your the best I've ever had" while promoting the same sneakers my 9-year-old wears (Sketchers)

....and those were just off the top of my head. I would be better off letting my kids watch Benny Hill than to watch the the NFL's premier game.

I agree a million percent. I think bigotry in all its forms is wrong and I've battled against it myself. Nobody is perfect. I think a show like Glee preaching tolerance to kids is a really good thing -- I get that it's important and I'm on board. And I think it is really cool how open and accepting teens are nowadays.

But, one of the characters on Glee is a really, really, really flaming gay kid. Dude has a makeup table and sits there and puts on foundation. His dad is a blue collar type. I remember from an early episode they showed this guy coming to grips with the fact that his kid is gay. They yelled, it was emotional, and eventually the dad came around and accepted it to an extent. On the episode the other night, dad walks in and there is another boy in his son's bed. It would be understandable if dad threw the kid out the window, which is what would happen if we were talking about a daughter and not a gay son...but instead he almost apologizes for barging in and excuses himself. Later in the episode father and son are talking. Dad makes a comment that he's sorry, he doesn't know what gay guys do together, so he's not going to be a good source of advice. The son chastises him and says maybe he should learn.

So the message is that it's not enough to accept it...a *really* good dad would read up on gay culture and relationships so he could give the kid dating advice. I mean, jeez, enough is enough. That is definitely pushing an agenda in my opinion. I put myself in the dad's shoes and think it would be quite a journey to accept a gay son. I have no doubt that I would. But going to the Clinique counter with him, or helping him pick out leopard thongs might be a stretch. Hopefully my love and acceptance would be enough though.

Actually, that wasn't how the scene played out. The dad told his son that having another boy "sleep over" was inappropriate, no matter what may have happened. The son said if his straight stepbrother had his buddy spend the night, the dad would have no problem with it. The dad replied that if his stepson asked to have a girl spend the night in his bed, he wouldn't allow that, either. I'm not here to defend "Glee," but what I saw was a dad telling his son that his kids weren't allowed to have sex in his house, and a teenager trotting out the old "no one understands me" routine -- except the teen happens to be gay. I'm not sure what "agenda" that's pushing.

:wacko:

you keep using this imagery. I think freud would say perhaps you wouldn't hate getting it rammed down your throat as much as you're letting on. :tup:

Sometimes a ramming is just a ramming.

As far as they gay thing, my kids are probably going to be told "usually men like women, but some men like men and some women like women." I think it's pretty straightforward and explanatory.

We'll leave sheep-love out of the explanation.