[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do we have any comic book fans out there?

tazinib1

I was at a buddy's house recently and he mentioned in passing that he was going to the local comic book store to check out some posters (he does story boarding for Motion Pictures/Television). I asked him "really? A comic book store?". His reply was ... "yes a comic book store dude. The best place to research story boarding". Ahhhh....I was intrigued so I tagged along.

I came across this gem I had no idea existed

As a kid, I was a HUGH Incredible Hulk fan. I also loved the Archie's and believe it or not, Richie Rich. Anybody else dabble in comics?

And I never did receive the hover craft I saved for :wacko:

My older brother was some so I got into em some for awhile. When I was really little I read some Archie, Richie Rich etc then that wasn't "cool" enough (yeah I know). Marvel mostly after. Didn't ilke Spiderman as much as apparently most kids did. FF, Hulk, Avengers type stuff mostly. wth, they had some good storylines and it was colorful and at times not all just silly cliched lines either. PS I played plenty of sports, rode bike a lot, we used to spend whole afternoons in the woods etc etc. It's not like I was totally dweebed out.

That came later. :wacko:

My older brother was some so I got into em some for awhile. When I was really little I read some Archie, Richie Rich etc then that wasn't "cool" enough (yeah I know). Marvel mostly after. Didn't ilke Spiderman as much as apparently most kids did. FF, Hulk, Avengers type stuff mostly. wth, they had some good storylines and it was colorful and at times not all just silly cliched lines either. PS I played plenty of sports, rode bike a lot, we used to spend whole afternoons in the woods etc etc. It's not like I was totally dweebed out.

That came later. :wacko:

I'm not too sure reading comic books as a kid is deserving of a geek/dweeb label. It was almost a given that every kid you knew read comics. At least that was the way it was when I was growing up. Today, well, we all know what today's age does. Stoopid internets.

I stopped collecting about 3-4 years ago, just didn't have the time to read them anymore. That and they drastically changed the Spiderman storyline at which at that point I had had enough. The titles I collected (and still have stored in plastic sleeves in filing cabinets) were:

Amazing Spider-Man and associated titles

Uncanny X-Men and associated titles

Star Wars titles from Dark Horse Publishing

Aliens/Predator/Terminator titles also from Dark Horse

Elvira - Mistress of the Dark

Ren and Stimpy

Animaniacs

Harley Quinn

I think in my heyday of collecting, I was subscribed to about 15 different titles at one time.

I also collected Groo the Wanderer when Marvel ran it the first time.

I probably have several thousand comics, I have no idea what the appraised value is anymore though. I really need to get that done someday and get them insured. I do have some pretty old ones in there as well - early double-digit Spider-Man and X-Men books from the 60's, as well as some older Dell comics from the 50's.

I have thousands of comics as well. My father and I collected them back in the day when we used to be able to buy comics 10 for $1.00. I continued while I was in college. I remember not eating, just so I could buy a fresh stack of new comics each week. I continued well into my adulthood.

I read everything from Dennis the Menace to The Amazing Spider-Man. I can't say I ever got into the Uncle Sam character, but it's kewl that there is something for everyone. I was a big fan of alternative 80s and 90s titles like Love and Rockets, Eightball, and Hate. A few years ago the Hernandez Brothers (Love and Rockets) and Peter Bagge (Hate) were at the Heroes Convention. My girlfriend invited them out to dinner, and we all ended up hanging out all night drinking and talking comics. It was a lot of fun.

I went to a show a couple of years ago and met Chris Claremont (Uncanny X-Men back when it was great) and Brian

Michael Bendis. I told Bendis that I was tired of Peter Parker still being in high school in Ultimate Spider-Man, but he told me that's what the book was all about.

Now, I don't collect as much, but I'm still an avid reader. I usually purchase the graphic novel collections because the individual issues just take up too much room. I usually follow my favorite writers like Bendis, Daniel Clowes and Mark Millar. Some of the titles I try to catch up on are all of the Marvel Ultimate titles, Powers, The Walking Dead, and Invincible.

Edited by electricrelish

. I also loved the Archie's and believe it or not, Richie Rich. Anybody else dabble in comics?

:

I used to read both of those as a kid.

But my favorite was Sargent Rock and Easy Company. Never really collected them but I have a few issues stashed somewhere.

I really liked the Green Lantern, up until when he teamed up with the Green Arrow, then it became way to preachy. I also had some Fantastic Four, and when I was a really little kid some Huey, Dewey, and Louie (Donald Duck's nephews).

I have a ton of all the iold X-Titles, Spiderman when McFarlane was xthe artist, all the start up Image comics (like Spawn from the beginning) Punisher, etc. mainly marvel with a smattering of Superman and DC titles.

Collected for awhile as a kid and into high school then stopped. Still have em all in plastic and backboards.

Hmm . . :wacko: maybe time to appraise em. . .