[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

setting a router password?

muck

For those who don't know, I know nothing about technology.

So, it appears that a neighbor is poaching our bandwidth on our wireless internet connection.

Can someone tell me how to set up a password on our linksys router? I've been to the cisco website, and it all looks pretty intimidating.

I'm looking for something like:

1) Do this.

2) Do that.

3) Do the other thing.

4) Reboot your computer.

5) Reboot the rounter.

6) Access internet by typing in your new password.

7) Tell your neighbor to f-off.

For those who don't know, I know nothing about technology.

So, it appears that a neighbor is poaching our bandwidth on our wireless internet connection.

Can someone tell me how to set up a password on our linksys router? I've been to the cisco website, and it all looks pretty intimidating.

I'm looking for something like:

1) Do this.

2) Do that.

3) Do the other thing.

4) Reboot your computer.

5) Reboot the rounter.

6) Access internet by typing in your new password.

7) Tell your neighbor to f-off.

:wacko: They are not stealing, just using a signal that you are broadcasting, completely legal too.

Edited by keggerz

Didn't some such instructions come w/the router? It is a pain, but as I recall very straightforward.

Also a simple google on "reset router password" turned up bunches of linksys stuff - from what I recall this one sounds right (even says in last step "...enable WEP or WAP security so your nosy neighbors aren't tapping into your wireless network" :wacko: ).

http://www.ehow.com/how_2188502_reset-pass...sys-router.html

And yep cisco's site sucks donkey dongs.

I'm sure someone can answer this more direct/specific, so FWIW and g/l

It's legal?

suppose you need 100% of your limited bandwidth to watch a netflix movie cuz you purchased the lowest speed by your provider. If someone's taking some of that limited speed, that's okay?

I stand corrected...I did some quick searching and it seems that it is a grey area of sorts.

DO NOT USE WEP - I REPEAT - DO NOT USE WEP. It is hacked soooooooooo much easier. Use the setting for TKIP/AES. Much, much, much stronger. WEP is better than nothing, but then again putting a tarp over a convertible to keep it dry could work too.

1) in your web browser, type in 192.168.1.1 (as already mentioned)

2) if you have not changed anything, login ID = admin, and password = password.

If you changed it and can't remember it, you can reset it pressing the little button on the back. **IF you reset, you lose your other settings**

3) for linksys, password is typically under a setting of "Administration" (along the top). Mine requires the password entered twice (to confirm)

4) save

now to change security

1) mine is under a heading of "wireless", then a subheading of "wireless security"

2) mine has a drop down box labeled "security mode"

3) change to WPA2 Personal

4) beneath that, an encryption drop down box, select TKIP or AES

5) type in your passpharse - DO NOT MAKE IT AN EASY WORD. Try something with a mix of numbers and letters, with a special character, like TheHudd!e999

6) save

Now to change the broadcast of your SSID (wireless network name)

1) Click the "wireless" heading at the top (like above)

2) click "basic wireless settings"

3) you may need to select the radio button (round button) for "manual configuration"

4) you should now see your SSID. again, make it something with a special character.

5) click the radio/round button for "disabled" next to "SSID broadcast"

6) save

I have a Linksys wireless N model wrt320N, but I have to believe the settings will be the same. you may want to consider writing down the admin login info and password and storing in a safe spot. same thing with the SSID and passphrase. you will also have to reconnect your devices (PC, TV, ipad, etc) with the new settings you have. since you have your SSID non-broadcasting now too, you'll need to manually enter that on each PC/device, as the PC/device will NOT see your wireless network.

hope this helps. break it down into manageable pieces and you'll be OK.

2) if you have not changed anything, login ID = admin, and password = password.

If you changed it and can't remember it, you can reset it pressing the little button on the back. **IF you reset, you lose your other settings**

Thanks. :wacko:

What other setting would I have that I'd lose?

Is this a big deal?

Thanks. :wacko:

What other setting would I have that I'd lose?

Is this a big deal?

Obviously your password and security settings, but also IP addys for network printers and other devices (Playstation/Wi) may change. Depending on what those are logging them back on to the server is about it.

5) type in your passpharse - DO NOT MAKE IT AN EASY WORD. Try something with a mix of numbers and letters, with a special character, like TheHudd!e999

I've actually started using full sentences for routers. Sometimes they'll require a password that is 18 digits or so. The easiest way for me to remember that is just to make some strange sentence. It can be silly or factual. johnsmithlovescheetohs or terrellowensloveshimsomehim.

Obviously your password and security settings, but also IP addys for network printers and other devices (Playstation/Wi) may change. Depending on what those are logging them back on to the server is about it.

Don't have those to worry about.

If I can drag my sinus infection downstairs, I'll try to do what Mr. Kravitz suggests.

I ddin't see Lenny's reply, I'll remove duplicate info.

1. http://192.168.1.1 in your browser

login is likely left blank - try admin i not

password is likely admin - try cisco if not

if neither of these works, you'll need to reset the router - let me know first so I can give you step-by-step how.

if connecting to http://192.168.1.1 fails you have a different issue so post here.

4. Choose your Security Mode

As mentioned, do not use WEP. I suggest WPA2 Personal if it's an option. You may not have an encryption option with WPA2 - that's ok if not.

5. Type in your new password

As suggested, make it something that's not a simple word.

6. Click Save Settings

Now change that original password of Admin, because about 500 million internet users currenly know your password :wacko:

7. Click Administration on the top menu bar

8. Enter new router password

This may be the same as your password above if you must. I don't recommend it though.

9. Re-enter the same router password

10. Click Save Settings

Edited by flemingd

In [security mode], I have these options:

The router supports four different types of security settings for your network. Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) Pre-Shared key, WPA Remote Access Dial In User Service (RADIUS), RADIUS, and Wire Equivalence Protection (WEP).

Which should I use?

For the time being, I'm going to assume its the "passphrase" that Lenny referenced.

:wacko:

Well, that wasn't it.

I tried it and my computer couldn't find a modem (and neither could my wife's mac).

So, I reset the router again and will start over.

What is a WPA Shared Key?

Well, that wasn't it.

I tried it and my computer couldn't find a modem (and neither could my wife's mac).

So, I reset the router again and will start over.

What is a WPA Shared Key?

It's the password you are choosing to add to your wireless connection so people can't snipe it. You shouldn't need to reset the router, you are creating this new password to protect your wireless. Interesting it's using the words pre-shared key and not passphrase, what model router is this?

Edited by flemingd

In [security mode], I have these options:

The router supports four different types of security settings for your network. Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) Pre-Shared key, WPA Remote Access Dial In User Service (RADIUS), RADIUS, and Wire Equivalence Protection (WEP).

Which should I use?

As lenny said, use WPA2. It will require a 10 character minimum password.

Muck,

Try leaving the Radio/SSID on until you get everything connected. It will/should allow you to easily find your network from other computers. Once you finish that, you can always go back and turn the SSID off for more security.

As lenny said, use WPA2. It will require a 10 character minimum password.

These are my choices:

WPA Pre-Shared Key

WPA Radius

WPA Pre-Shared Key only

WPA Radius only

WPA Pre-Shared Key mixed

WPA Radius mixed

Radius

WEP

No WPA-2 choice is available to me. Please help me gain wisdom.

These are my choices:

WPA Pre-Shared Key

WPA Radius

WPA Pre-Shared Key only

WPA Radius only

WPA Pre-Shared Key mixed

WPA Radius mixed

Radius

WEP

No WPA-2 choice is available to me. Please help me gain wisdom.

My best guess is WPA Pre-Shared Key. But I'll defer to others (Ursa...Lenny :wacko: ) for a definitive answer.

ETA:

From Microsoft:

WPA-PSK (also known as WPA-Personal). A more secure alternative to WEP, but because it is newer, it is not as widely supported. Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2 supports WPA, so this type of encryption is the best choice if you plan to connect only Windows XP computers to your wireless network. However, if you have wireless devices that don't support WPA, such as media extenders or wireless cameras, you'll have to use WEP on your network instead.
Edited by rocknrobn26