[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Yes, I'm lazy, but options change all the time

Big Country

The bionic looks like its going to be a nice phone, hopefully verizon doesn't sit on it for too long. I'd like to get my hands on it. The battery life and the hdmi are the biggest draws for me on that one.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those of my friends who have iphones like the feature offered through AT&T where they can talk & surf simultaneously. Others who have Verizon like the fact that they have better signal coverage in the hilly terrain of San Diego county. :wacko:

Those of my friends who have iphones like the feature offered through AT&T where they can talk & surf simultaneously. Others who have Verizon like the fact that they have better signal coverage in the hilly terrain of San Diego county. :wacko:

You hit a valid point. I have traveled across country and when I get into the mid-western states, the Verizon coverage stinks. ATT&T phone owners love it because its ATT&T country. Same holds true for Verizon in SoCal. Better coverage than ATT&T. Carriers are regional to some extent. Make sure to check out the coverage in your area.

I'm getting ready to sh*tcan the Blackberry.

iPhone was the default. Now I'm not so sure, and I feel compelled to look into it more.

You guys suck.

:wacko: I'm in the exact same position. I'll probably get the iPhone, though.

Yeah, but why get the current one when the new one is only a few months away? Problem is, she really needs a phone now. Maybe if I like one of the android phones, I'll get that, give her my current phone and then switch out for the new iphone when it is supposed to come out later this year.

You might be eligible for a free upgrade when the new one comes out (if you chose to go that route). Not sure, though. I bought my wife an Iphone for her birthday a couple of years ago, then got myself one a couple of months later. My brother (who sells them for AT&T) called me when the IPhone 3 came out... Since I had gotten mine within a certain time frame (less than X months before the new one released), I was eligible for a free upgrade or $100 off my bill. Since we had gotten her phone longer ago, she was not eligible. I took the $100, since the additional features (being able to text video, and whatever else) weren't that important to me.

Like I said, though, I'm not sure if they always have that option, or if that was just something they (AT&T) offered at that time.

I have a MacBook, Iphone, and Ipod touch, and they're all great. That said, I do think you can find comparable products for less money, if you're not concerned about whether or not you have an Apple product. On the other hand, I've never had any issues with any of them, so maybe it's money well spent... I don't know. :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

If they don't upgrade the RAM from the 500MB stated previously I would skip this one. At this point you almost have to get a GB of RAM on a phone you will be using for the next 2 years.

I'm eligible for a free upgrade in August so I am anxious to see what comes out between now and then. I have a Droid Eris now and have enjoyed it but I am hoping there is a new Iphone out that takes advantage of the LTE network.

:wacko: I'm in the exact same position. I'll probably get the iPhone, though.

I got an iPhone a couple weeks ago. I love it so far, but I do get annoyed at the touch-screen typing. I could type a lot faster on my Blackberry. On the iPhone, I constantly hit "x" instead of "c" and "backspace" instead of "m." It's by far my biggest gripe.

I've had the iPhone 4 for a few days,

Only real issue that I have is its interface with my exchange server at work. If I delete an email that appears on the phone, it deletes it from my inbox

in my work computer.

Its small. The screen resolution is excellent.

Overall, its aight.

What does the 4G phone do better that justifies the greater expense?

The big thing with 3G vs "4G" is data. 3G networks are voice networks with added capability for data (internet). With 4G they are specifically designed handle data faster and more efficiently.

4G capable phones have a different radio setup in the phone to allow it to use different frequencies and access protocols. The networks have to build out new processors, antennas, etc to support the network. Some networks are building microwave links between the towers and their processing centers to handle the data, where the voice may still be going landline via PSTN.

All that said, if you don't use a lot of data (stream Video, radio, lots of internet, etc) or don't live in a 4G supported area, you don't NEED 4G. But if you want the newest, gucci-est, apps, cameras, screens, whatever, they are going to be on "4G" phones.

The big thing with 3G vs "4G" is data. 3G networks are voice networks with added capability for data (internet). With 4G they are specifically designed handle data faster and more efficiently.

4G capable phones have a different radio setup in the phone to allow it to use different frequencies and access protocols. The networks have to build out new processors, antennas, etc to support the network. Some networks are building microwave links between the towers and their processing centers to handle the data, where the voice may still be going landline via PSTN.

All that said, if you don't use a lot of data (stream Video, radio, lots of internet, etc) or don't live in a 4G supported area, you don't NEED 4G. But if you want the newest, gucci-est, apps, cameras, screens, whatever, they are going to be on "4G" phones.

The 4G Iphone is just Apple's 4th phone. It doesn't run on any of the 4G networks. If you want a phone with a 4G data connection right now your choices are the EVO on Sprint or the Thunderbolt on Verizon with more to come shortly. If you're thinking Iphone then I would wait until their next generation phone comes out that can connect to the 4G networks if they are available in your area.

The 4G Iphone is just Apple's 4th phone. It doesn't run on any of the 4G networks. If you want a phone with a 4G data connection right now your choices are the EVO on Sprint or the Thunderbolt on Verizon with more to come shortly. If you're thinking Iphone then I would wait until their next generation phone comes out that can connect to the 4G networks if they are available in your area.

Thanks to both of you for this info. :wacko: I think I'll go with 3G for the time being.

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter moved off my plan to Sprint and got the Evo. My two boys just got the iPhone4 today. I'm not crazy about the $30 per phone charge for adding data to the plan with Verizon. I may get the iPhone4 at some point. My wife and I don't live on our phones, like the kids do, but now we can see which ones they like the best.

• 3 weeks later...

I would say now is NOT a great time to be buying a phone with Verizon. Most of the ones they got now are the tail-end of the previous models, and by the end of the year there are expected to be phones that will handle future capabilities better...

I was recently forced to pick up a new Android phone after finding out I didn't have insurance on my Droid X (apparently they have a 1-time emergency sort of upgrade if you get into this bind)... It was the choice between the Incredible 2 and the Droid X2 that just came out, which has a dual-core processor vs. the 1Ghz in the Incredible 2... However, because both phones are both only 3G, the extra processor is only going to do so much, primarily helping with battery life IIRC.

Verizon also has the 4G Charge, but this one doesn't have any better of a processor than the Incredible 2's 1Ghz, and the 4G service will not be available in most areas until 2013. Also apparently the Samsung phone has a plasticy-cheap feel to it.

So keeping all that in mind, I think I will be plenty satisfied holding on to this Incredible 2, which has a slightly smaller screen than the full-sized X or X2, but feels much more compact and comfortable in the hand... Add to that it runs alot faster than my original Droid X and will soon be capable of running Netflix, and I don't think you're going to find an all-around better Verizon phone than this right now... But again, I'd hold off if you can for the next round of phones to come out.

Edited by delusions of granduer