[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Buying mulch: diff in cost of bags vs truckload?

BeeR

I tried googling. I foolishly tried Lowes (lawn n garden section) who were baffled. So does anyone have a recap on this? Bags of hardwood mulch @ Lowes run ~$3ish (2 cu ft). A "Yard" runs about $30ish around here. I don't doubt bulk is cheaper but how much so? If not dramatic I might just go w/bags as offhand I don't know someone nearby w/a truck I can use.

We go through mountains of it. Literally. We got 12 yards this year and came up short. Next year it's 15 and that won't be lavish. It would likely cost us twice as much as what it did if we bought bags as opposed to truckloads.

We also get it delivered.

Edited by detlef

Based on the numbers you just gave us, you would save $10.50 per yard buying it by the yard. You also don't have to mess with all those bags. What we usually do is get a group of neighbors together and have a dump truck bring some out and dump it in the street between our houses. We live on a cul-de-sac and are outside the city limits so we don't get much traffic.

Well assuming you have a good wheel barrow, pitchfork, and $30 includes delivery... $10.50 is correct based on your numbers. My local delivery runs about $35 and it's buy 3 yards, get 1 free.

If you need a lot of it, the convenience of truckload delivery is well worth it instead of lugging all those bags around.

Buying in bulk is definiterly less expensive, but you also have to know the supplier, and see the mulch before you buy. Same for top soil and mulch.... if you don't inspect it first, you can really get burned.

I will also add this... the bagged mulch is often so fine, weeds will grow in it like it's soil. I'm talking Scotts sort of stuff. It looks nice, but it's so fine, it can act like soil for some weeds. Courser wood chips do a better job, but it depends on what you are mulching as well. That black mulch does look nice, like freshly turned soil, but it may not act as a Josh Gordon barrier 100%.

Make sure it's organic. The black dyed crap is often pallets and other industrial waste. I like the shredded pine bark, but as Rovers mentioned, it doesn't completely eliminate weeds. Around here no one sells the bigger nuggets in bulk.

Looking forward to moving back to Georgia and using pine straw again. :wacko:

Make sure it's organic. The black dyed crap is often pallets and other industrial waste. I like the shredded pine bark, but as Rovers mentioned, it doesn't completely eliminate weeds. Around here no one sells the bigger nuggets in bulk.

Looking forward to moving back to Georgia and using pine straw again. :wacko:

Great thing about GA, you really don't even have to purchase the pine straw, just rake your yard.

My lawn guy got three yards in bulk and put it down for $220.00. That's the way to do it, IMO.

No way. Three yards takes no time at all. C'mon man, get some exercise! Get out in the sun. My wife and I spent barely more than that for 12 yards and spread it ourselves.

No kidding. Even getting it delivered I just got a quote for 6 yds for around $200 (incl delivery). The pisser is not having an avail truck and so pretty much needing it delivered. I realize if you have a truck that bulk is easily cheaper, just not an option right now.

Follow up: as I recall, a yard is about what would fill the back of a small/mid-sized pickup, right?

Edited by BeeR

No kidding. Even getting it delivered I just got a quote for 6 yds for around $200 (incl delivery). The pisser is not having an avail truck and so pretty much needing it delivered. I realize if you have a truck that bulk is easily cheaper, just not an option right now.

Follow up: as I recall, a yard is about what would fill the back of a small/mid-sized pickup, right?

Where I go 2 scoops is a yard. I got 1 1/2 yds in my sister Ford Ranger and had room for another 1/2 yd.

No way. Three yards takes no time at all. C'mon man, get some exercise! Get out in the sun. My wife and I spent barely more than that for 12 yards and spread it ourselves.

+1. Great exercise, and you can be sure to spread it correctly at the proper depth (no tree pyramids)

Edited by The Irish Doggy