[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NBA Playoffs

Gopher

you really are a douchebag....:wacko:

Who are you again........ Thats what I thought.

Dude I dont care about you or Detlefs opinion any longer. Its simply doesnt matter.

This is suppose to be about these playoffs. Instead this thread has turned into Dallas wasnt this or that in the past, , or Dirk wasnt this or that.

Who cares.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, this is what it takes for OKC to win. Shot outta their mind, and play great defense. They didnt do it in games 1 or 3 and lost. They certainly did game 2, and thus far in game 4.

As great as OKC played in the 1st half, and as bad as dallas played, its only 5 point OKC lead.

Edited by Brent

Whether either make it to the Finals this year or not. Miami and OKC are going to dominate this league for a long time. OKC has 4 legitimate stars in the making, Durant, Westbrook, Harden and Ibaka. And they are all 22 or 23 years old.

Edited by Brent

Whether either make it to the Finals this year or not. Miami and OKC are going to dominate this league for a long time. OKC has 4 legitimate stars in the making, Durant, Westbrook, Harden and Ibaka. And they are all 22 or 23 years old.

I agree for the most part, but Westbrook has some maturing to do. He played better tonight, more more often than not he will take too many shots and not get the ball to Durant in the clutch.

up until this point in his career, dirk is the kind of guy who, if he is your best player, you can get into the playoffs consistently, and win a few rounds here and there. but then will usually come up short to the teams with the kobes and duncans -- guys who are just at a little bit higher level.

Manu, Parker, David Robinson.

Shaq, Lamar Odom, Pau Gasol, Andrew Bynam.

The difference between Duncan, Kobe and Dirk is supporting casts.

Manu, Parker, David Robinson.

Shaq, Lamar Odom, Pau Gasol, Andrew Bynam.

The difference between Duncan, Kobe and Dirk is supporting casts.

Awesome, so if Mavericks win the title this year, Dirk becomes a better player than Karl Malone.

I agree for the most part, but Westbrook has some maturing to do. He played better tonight, more more often than not he will take too many shots and not get the ball to Durant in the clutch.

Westbrook's a 2 being somewhat-forced to become a playmaker.

And Dirk is freakin' fantastic. And to put to bed pages upon pages of Dirk vs. Bird pissing matches, Carlisle was comparing their WORK ETHIC, not them as players. :wacko:

Back off topic for just a sec...

Comparing Bird to Dirk is just plain silly. Trying to say one os better than the other based on stats is impossible.

Different era. Different competition. Different game.

It's like comparing James Brown to Ladainian Tomlinson. James Brown is considered the best of all time, but he might struggle to make a roster in 2011. You just can't know.

Dirk is great. Comparing stats just isn't that useful. And yet you just can't know what kind of player Bird would be in today's NBA. Dirk might have been the best player in the 80's by a mile if he had played then. What currently separates the two definitively is that one elevated his team to three championships as the clear leader and dominant player. The guy who took the shot when it mattered. One has not done that yet. I think he can, though.

I'd love to see Dirk crest that threshold this year. I would not mind seeing OKC win it all either, but if Dallas wins I am good with it. Just not Miami. I think I'd like to see

1) OKC

2) CHI

3) DAL

4) Miami

With not a huge amount of preference between the top three, except that my boy Perk is now on the Thunder.

Who are you again........ Thats what I thought.

Dude I dont care about you or Detlefs opinion any longer. Its simply doesnt matter.

This is suppose to be about these playoffs. Instead this thread has turned into Dallas wasnt this or that in the past, , or Dirk wasnt this or that.

Who cares.

then why are you having a meltdown over this?...I stated my opinion and you started defending him like he was your lover....

get over it...I didn't tell you that your opinion was wrong, just an observation.....but then you're going to try and tell people to get out of a thread?....who are you the friggin thread nazi?...

your team won, so be happy....they are the better team right now and should advance because of how well Dirk played, but you are acting like everyone said he sucks just because he finally grew a spine....you can score a lot of points and be a great talent without a spine (just ask Lebron James)

then why are you having a meltdown over this?...I stated my opinion and you started defending him like he was your lover....

get over it...I didn't tell you that your opinion was wrong, just an observation.....but then you're going to try and tell people to get out of a thread?....who are you the friggin thread nazi?...

your team won, so be happy....they are the better team right now and should advance because of how well Dirk played, but you are acting like everyone said he sucks just because he finally grew a spine....you can score a lot of points and be a great talent without a spine (just ask Lebron James)

so now Lebron has no spine either. :tup: ............... :wacko:

Edited by Brent

Congrats, Dallas fans. I'll be pulling for the Mavs in the Finals. :tup:

+1... all the radio honks are saying that the Mavs will be Dallas' second "America's Team", if not for just the eventual series against the Heat. I've always been a Dirk fan and have grown to like guys like Terry and Barea. Speaking of Dirk, does that guy miss a free throw? When I played HS hoops, I fancied myself a pretty decent free throw shooter.... but Dirk is just ridiculous. I bet he doesn't miss in the Finals. I bet he could shoot 'em better left handed than I could right now. :wacko:

I will say that the Thunder got jobbed on a couple of late calls in this last game. Kudos to them for playing the Mavs tough. They grew up a whole lot in this series. They're gonna be tough for many, many years. Durant needs to assert himself, Westbrook needs to figure out how to be a point guard, Harden's the next Microwave and Ibaka may have a ton of improvement in him, which is scary. I like the Perkins add, and Collison has grown on me (I blasted him a couple years ago I recall).

As much as I'd love to see Da Bulls in the Finals, it looks like the Heat have put things together and will march on. I imagine Kidd will take D-Wade, Marion will get LeBron. Definitely a fantastic matchup. Dirk will have to bring his A-game, and Barea will have to be a huge factor. No one on that Heat team can check him, not even Bibby.

Awesome, so if Mavericks win the title this year, Dirk becomes a better player than Karl Malone.

He's alreaady in the same class. He still has to play 4-6 more years to accumulate the total numbers, but how anyone can doubt Dirk is beyond insane. He's won the MVP, had more 50 win seasons than Malone did in 6 less years. And did it for the majority of his career without another elite player beside him, like Malone had in Stockton.

You guys can hate Dirk all you want. But it's blind hate.

+1... all the radio honks are saying that the Mavs will be Dallas' second "America's Team", if not for just the eventual series against the Heat. I've always been a Dirk fan and have grown to like guys like Terry and Barea. Speaking of Dirk, does that guy miss a free throw? When I played HS hoops, I fancied myself a pretty decent free throw shooter.... but Dirk is just ridiculous. I bet he doesn't miss in the Finals. I bet he could shoot 'em better left handed than I could right now. :wacko:

I will say that the Thunder got jobbed on a couple of late calls in this last game. Kudos to them for playing the Mavs tough. They grew up a whole lot in this series. They're gonna be tough for many, many years. Durant needs to assert himself, Westbrook needs to figure out how to be a point guard, Harden's the next Microwave and Ibaka may have a ton of improvement in him, which is scary. I like the Perkins add, and Collison has grown on me (I blasted him a couple years ago I recall).

As much as I'd love to see Da Bulls in the Finals, it looks like the Heat have put things together and will march on. I imagine Kidd will take D-Wade, Marion will get LeBron. Definitely a fantastic matchup. Dirk will have to bring his A-game, and Barea will have to be a huge factor. No one on that Heat team can check him, not even Bibby.

It happens in every game. See Harden/Durant flops. KD's rip punch and Harden's running into Chandler for a T were horrible. When you're the home team, you get home cooking. It's one of those things you have to play through to win.

I think OKC will build off of this and will be the team to beat out of the West next year, regardless of who the Lakers land. I agree with KD, Harden, Westbrook, and Ibaka are a great foursome, although I think Perkins has a massive bag of nothing. Other than mean mugging people.

+10000000 - please let's not compare Dirk to Bird. Dirk couldn't carry Bird's jock.

We can't compare them. Give Dirk the team that the Celtics had in Birds run, and I bet they still win multiple titles. Take Dirk out of the equation for the Mavs over the last decade and replace him with Bird, do the Mavs knock off the Suprs/Lakers? It's not a cut and dry thing. I still like Bird in an argument, but to say he couldnt carry his joke is a bit strong.

It happens in every game. See Harden/Durant flops. KD's rip punch and Harden's running into Chandler for a T were horrible. When you're the home team, you get home cooking. It's one of those things you have to play through to win.

I think OKC will build off of this and will be the team to beat out of the West next year, regardless of who the Lakers land. I agree with KD, Harden, Westbrook, and Ibaka are a great foursome, although I think Perkins has a massive bag of nothing. Other than mean mugging people.

Well, with the offense Durant, Westbrook and Harden provide, you don't need a big that is going to be a black hole when he gets the ball inside. You want a banger like Perkins to disrupt the softies like Dirk, Duncan and Gasol out West. Now, Dirk's taken a huge step forward in terms of his toughness over the past year or so, but I think a "thug" like Perkins fits right in with what the Thunder need. They could probably use a decent offensive post presence, though, to further open things outside for Durant and company. A true post presence is hard to come by these days, though.

Big Mavs and Dirk fan here, huge Magic & Kareem fan and my brother was the Celtic Bird fan, so I feel from watching the two play for most of their careers, I feel qualified to say that Dirk is not the rebounder nor is he the defender that Bird was. Dirk can shoot like Bird, but the defensive side is lacking. Bird's back was thrashed due to being a good enough defender to guard the biggest and the best of his era. Other teams would bang him around in hopes that it would effect his shooting, only to find that Bird was better than good enough at defense and could rebound. Bird was also agile enough to steal from the taller players. Dirk does not have the defense, guys. I do feel that if Dirk wins this championship he will be a shoe in for the HOF and will be the HOF's poster boy for the European wave of players he help promote.

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

Big Mavs and Dirk fan here, huge Magic & Kareem fan and my brother was the Celtic Bird fan, so I feel from watching the two play for most of their careers, I feel qualified to say that Dirk is not the rebounder nor is he the defender that Bird was. Dirk can shoot like Bird, but the defensive side is lacking. Bird's back was thrashed due to being a good enough defender to guard the biggest and the best of his era. Other teams would bang him around in hopes that it would effect his shooting, only to find that Bird was better than good enough at defense and could rebound. Bird was also agile enough to steal from the taller players. Dirk does not have the defense, guys. I do feel that if Dirk wins this championship he will be a shoe in for the HOF and will be the HOF's poster boy for the European wave of players he help promote.

Not a big Mavs fan, but do like Dirk and was a HUGH Laker fan back in the Showtime Era.

Psst, Bird averaged 9.4 rpg and Dirk is currently at 8.4 rpg. :wacko:

Bird was an excellent help defender as is Dirk. Bird was a better one-on-one defender and stealer of the basketball. That said, Dirk is a better shot-blocker. Now, I won't disagree that as a whole, Bird is a better defensive player.

Dirk's a shoo-in for the HOF right now, hands-down.

The Bird/Dirk comparisons, though, are silly. As discussed on the radio and even here, it's a different era. You just can't do it. And I'll say it again, the Carlisle sound bite was him comparing their WORK ETHIC... not them as players.